Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS Feed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RSS Feed

    Hey DougO,

    I was wondering if it was possible to set up an RSS feed of JMS' comments from usenet? Essentially updating anytime the main page updates with a new comment from JMS?

    I just found a good extension for rss reading in FireFox , thus the question. I've been rssing everything interesting I can.

    Thanks!

    Ariake
    Otaku Refuge Presents:
    4komatose -- Updated when our artist gets around to it.
    Hey, it's not my fault, I'm just the writer!

  • #2
    I use it a lot myself too. It'd be a cool thing, if it's doable.
    Radhil Trebors
    Persona Under Construction

    Comment


    • #3
      An RSS feed would definitely be a cool feature and I plan to implement it sometime (hopefully sooner than later). It's probably the most requested feature at this point.

      -DougO

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ariake
        Hey DougO,

        I was wondering if it was possible to set up an RSS feed of JMS' comments from usenet? Essentially updating anytime the main page updates with a new comment from JMS?

        I just found a good extension for rss reading in FireFox , thus the question. I've been rssing everything interesting I can.

        Thanks!

        Ariake
        Of course Firefox comes with a rss reader, no extensions necessary.
        ---
        Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
        www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, but the Firefox RSS thing - "Live Bookmarks" I think they call it - doesn't actually do much in my experience. It just dumps the item feeds and leaves it for you to check 'em.

          If you want something that will notify you for update and flag the new items and let you configure a refresh rate and actually work like a "live feed" and such, I highly suggest this.
          Radhil Trebors
          Persona Under Construction

          Comment


          • #6
            The new IE7 will have advanced RSS feed embedded,but its still months away.
            Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Radhil
              Yeah, but the Firefox RSS thing - "Live Bookmarks" I think they call it - doesn't actually do much in my experience. It just dumps the item feeds and leaves it for you to check 'em.

              If you want something that will notify you for update and flag the new items and let you configure a refresh rate and actually work like a "live feed" and such, I highly suggest this.
              The thing I like about "Live Bookmarks" is the fact that a)it's not a seperate program and b)that is lets me choose when I want to check on any given site. Having said that, feedreader looks interesting and I may give it a try on my work laptop since I use a Mac at home.
              ---
              Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
              www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

              Comment


              • #8
                Explain this RSS thing.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

                Comment


                • #9
                  RSS = Really Simple Syndication (or some other clever thing). It was thunk up originally to distribute news articles among several "subscriber" web sites. An RSS feed is nothing more than a web link to a special page. What the page has is a list of items or articles, usually just headings and summaries, laid out in a data format (XML) that can be read by an RSS reader. The upshot is to have a standard format that summarizes the data on a webpage, so it can be viewed quickly for new items or just quick browsing. From there anything can grab and post-it-store-it-shove-it with little fuss or worrying about page formats and layouts and other such nonsense, skipping all the web-page-styles and just ripping out the substance. Many new surfer RSS programs automagically check a feed for you, thus providing a running update of what's on a website without manually checking the website (and every other one you might lurk about) everytime you think it might have something new. Which is one reason it's getting more popular now.
                  Radhil Trebors
                  Persona Under Construction

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by thebaron
                    Of course Firefox comes with a rss reader, no extensions necessary.
                    Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
                    Otaku Refuge Presents:
                    4komatose -- Updated when our artist gets around to it.
                    Hey, it's not my fault, I'm just the writer!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ranger1
                      The new IE7 will have advanced RSS feed embedded, but its still months away.
                      Months away from being released, that is. That means several more months away from actually working with a fair degree of reliability, after having two or three bug and security patches applied.

                      Regards,

                      Joe

                      (Who uses both IE and Firefox, but doesn't mind tweaking MS from time to time.)
                      Joseph DeMartino
                      Sigh Corps
                      Pat Tallman Division

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also IE7 is being aimed at those using XP SP2.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by alpha
                          Also IE7 is being aimed at those using XP SP2.
                          I like my Opera.
                          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bumping the RSS feed request

                            Having an RSS feed would be most excellent. Any chance it's going to happen any time soon?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A RSS feed is toward the top of my feature list. I started work on it awhile back but then got distracted and never finished it up. I'll try to work on it again soon.

                              -DougO

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X