Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is someone so bored they're trying to hack this place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is someone so bored they're trying to hack this place?

I got an email notification saying someone tried to get into my account five times before the forum locked them out. I changed my password and took it another step to change all my passwords everywhere.

The IP that made the attempt is 188.143.232.144

Here is a whois on it http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/188.143.232.144 and the commentary suggests this IP has been messing around all over the web.

I suspect it's a proxy, but who knows?
    Last edited by Auryndenek; 09-19-2013, 11:05 AM.
    "I have always been here." - Kosh

Thanks for letting us know. DougO had another reort on this yesterday so he's aware of a potential issue. I'll make sure he knows about the attempt on your account.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks for staying on top of this. I don't post often here, but I don't like the idea that anyone is messing with any of my accounts anywhere. Call me paranoid, but I've seen a raid happen where an account got cracked, the email attached to it got cracked next and that person's online life became hell.

Makes me glad I don't stick everything to a single email. I probably have ten different email addresses and a single private one only close friends/family know for sending emails to people.
      "I have always been here." - Kosh

Comment

I had a couple of those as well, at least it brought me back to this place.

Comment

I have had 3 of those messages. The hacker appears to be both determined and stupid.

Determined 5 * 3 attempts.
          Stupid 3 days running.
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

I got the e-mail as well.

IP address: 188.143.235.81

Same profile of being suspect and from the same area.

Comment

I got one, too, from memory the sam IP address as above.
              Let's see how long this continues (hopefully not that long).

IIRC it has happened before, a while ago.
              Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Same here.

Comment

I got one of those messages today as well. Thanks for staying on top of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Auryndenek View Post
                    I got an email notification saying someone tried to get into my account five times before the forum locked them out. I changed my password and took it another step to change all my passwords everywhere.

The IP that made the attempt is 188.143.232.144

Here is a whois on it http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/188.143.232.144 and the commentary suggests this IP has been messing around all over the web.

I suspect it's a proxy, but who knows?
                    I am getting the same issue, I have changed my password, if I could change my username... I would... i looked up the IP from the emails I have received and it's from St. Petersburg Russia...

https://ipdb.at/ip/188.143.235.81

Comment

I just received the notification.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 188.143.234.14

Comment

I've just changed my password to something more robust. It may be worth others changing theirs to a strong password containing both numbers, letters and symbols (if not already the case).

Also, this is common sense... but make sure your password is not the same as any associated with your key accounts, i.e. PayPal, eBay, webmail, etc.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Someone also tried to hack my account.

Comment

Thanks for the information, folks. DougO is monitoring this but it seems to be spammers trying to get access. It's an ongoing deluge with over 1K per week registering and attempting other things.

For those we haven't seen for a while, Hi! Glad to see you again.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Same here. Russian IP address too.
                              Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
                              John Sheridan

Comment

Working...
                              X