Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time

Maybe I am nuts, but I listen to BBC on NPR, and (GMT - 4 hours) is the same Time Zone I am in (as broadcast). However, my time zone is one hour before this site's Time, which is listed as (GMT-4hrs).

Of course, I am nuts.
    Anyway.
    No help needed.
    John Brittain
    2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Which BBC channel? World service or one of the UK only services?

The UK is on British Summer Time, which is GMT + 1. This is a way of using an extra hour of sunlight during the summer.
    Last edited by Andrew_Swallow; 07-28-2004, 07:14 PM.
    Andrew Swallow

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

I am always listening to BBC Radio on NPR when I am returning home from music gigs. It is always 2:00 GMT when I am looking at my dashboard and seeing 10PM. I am on Atlantic Standard Time, and we do not have the equivalent 'Daylight Savings Time' here in the USVirgin Islands.

It seems to me that it is always off by 4 hours year-round.

I did state my predeliction for being nuts....am I?
      John Brittain

Comment

Oh, your question: it is World Service. Is that on a different time standard than UK only BBC?

That, of course, would not change GMT itself.

So, we are back to: am I nuts?
        John Brittain

Comment

Originally posted by jahkneebee
          Oh, your question: it is World Service. Is that on a different time standard than UK only BBC?
          Yes. The World Service is locked to GMT.
          The UK only channels use GMT in the winter and GMT+1 in the summer, along with the rest of Britain. We have to change all our clocks twice a year.

To download the main BBC radio channels
          www.bbc.co.uk/radio
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

If you want to change your time offset relative to GMT at the top of the page click on
            user cp
            edit options

and go down the page and select the required time offset.
            Andrew Swallow

Comment

sorry to jump in on this - but i think what you are saying about this site is correct...
              at the bottom of the page i have my default time set as GMT to which right now it says is 12.10pm...

12.10 is the true time it is here in the UK but it is not GMT - it is BST (British summer time) as andrew has said (which is GMT+1)

So the quote 'All times are GMT' is actually incorrect.
              All times appear to actually be offset to BST (its 11.10am GMT right now - a time actually not used by any country afaik in the summer )

(which means all times quoted on this site are probably one hour ahead of what they should be....)

Big apologies if i'm wrong to the powers that see (site creaotr )
              Last edited by LytaaaarGh; 07-29-2004, 04:29 AM.
              One up for the angry Teep

Comment

Just FYI, I went in and verified that the time is correct on the jmsnews.com server and that the vBulletin master timezone setting matches the server.

According to the vBulletin documention each user should be able to adjust for their local time on the User CP options page.

I'm not sure what is going on with this BST / GMT+1 issue. I looked around the vBulletin support site and found a few related discussions but no reports of a bug. If someone wants to write up a detailed description of the problem I'd be happy to submit it to the vBulletin folks as a question/bug report.

-DougO

Comment

Originally posted by DougO
                  I'm not sure what is going on with this BST / GMT+1 issue. I looked around the vBulletin support site and found a few related discussions but no reports of a bug. If someone wants to write up a detailed description of the problem I'd be happy to submit it to the vBulletin folks as a question/bug report.
                  Do not worry DougO, it is not a bug. Just a way of handling the shorter hours of sunlight in winter. It should be invisible to this news group.
                  Andrew Swallow

Comment

--------------------------------------------------
                    Do not worry DougO, it is not a bug. Just a way of handling the shorter hours of sunlight in winter. It should be invisible to this news group.
                    --------------------------------------------------

Maybe no, maybe so.

This thread that I started is unimportant in the scheme of t'ings, but...

At the bottom of each page it says:
                    "All times are GMT -4 hrs. The time is now ........"

The time stated is GMT -3 hrs. What I was attempting to say was that my user setting is set to Atlantic Time, which is GMT -4hrs. My time does not match the stated time. I wouldn't expect the 'stated' time to be the same as me unless it really was supposed to be, as stated.

Still nuts after all these posts.
                    John Brittain

Comment

Originally posted by jahkneebee
                      At the bottom of each page it says:
                      "All times are GMT -4 hrs. The time is now ........"
                      I see what you mean.

Mine says "All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 AM."

That is British Summer Time = GMT+1
                      Andrew Swallow

Comment

OK Admin guys, not that it will make a cat quack, or anything, but here we have agreement from both sides of the pond that the "GMT +/-" is off by an hour.

If this will self-correct when we ya'll go off DST, and it remains an approved glitch, well, then: "quaaack!"
                        John Brittain

Comment

Working...
                        X