X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger1
    replied
    Thanks

And since i can't say only thanks because its too short for a reply, im typing this line

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Originally posted by DougO View Post
    We're still getting a few, but the number of spammers registering are about 10X less. Jan and Ranger1 have been doing a great job squashing their posts as quickly as possible. I really appreciate their work keeping the forums safe!

-DougO
    I didn't know that was the case. Major kudos to Jan and Ranger1 as well in that case.

Leave a comment:

• DougO
    replied
    Originally posted by thebaron View Post
    Doug, it looks like the upgrade did the trick. I don't remember seeing and spam in a while. Thanks for all of your effort.
    We're still getting a few, but the number of spammers registering are about 10X less. Jan and Ranger1 have been doing a great job squashing their posts as quickly as possible. I really appreciate their work keeping the forums safe!

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Doug, it looks like the upgrade did the trick. I don't remember seeing and spam in a while. Thanks for all of your effort.

Leave a comment:

• JohnFourtyTwo
    replied
    I noticed that my signature isn't showing up on my old posts when I didn't have a signature. Not a major problem at all, just wondering if that's because I didn't have a signature at first. It took me a while to get a good signature and didn't want to use the one I use on other boards.

Leave a comment:

• vacantlook
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Oh, and since I don't think I've said it lately, thank you VERY much for keeping this little corner of the 'net advertisement free!!! It's appreciated.
    Thanks from me too. Seeing no advertisements here makes this place feel clean and tidy!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Thanks, Doug!

Oh, and since I don't think I've said it lately, thank you VERY much for keeping this little corner of the 'net advertisement free!!! It's appreciated.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DougO
    replied
    The upgrade is complete. Please let me know if you run into any problem or have questions about anything that has changed. So far I haven't noticed much in the way of functional changes.

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by DougO
    Once you start the process you can't cancel short of restoring a backup of the site. I'm sure it will be okay...
    We have faith in you, Doug! No pressure....

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DougO
    replied
    I just deleted today's batch of spammers. The good news is that there were only about 10 new spammer accounts instead of the normal 20-30. Banning the use of popular spammer email domains may be helping.

I'm going to upgrade the forums soon (maybe tonight) to the latest version of vBulletin which includes image verification as part of the registration process. That will hopefully eliminate the spammers using scripts to register. Then we'll just have to deal with the remaining subset willing to manually register their accounts.

Upgrading the forums always makes me nervious. The upgrade process involves hitting "next" on a series of 30-50 HTML pages. Each page contains script that performs a step in the upgrade. If any of the pages encounters error then you're stuck and can't go on until you figure out what's wrong. Once you start the process you can't cancel short of restoring a backup of the site. I'm sure it will be okay...

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• Lunan
    replied
    Originally posted by DougO
    The latest version of vBulletin supports image verification where the user has to type in the numbers/letters seen in a bitmap. I think that feature will help reduce spam because it should block scripted creation of accounts. I'm going to try and schedule some time to perform the upgrade soon.

In December the spammers were very active and created about 800 new accounts here. Fortunately most of those were never used and are now deleted. Today I enabled a feature that will block user's from registering using email addresses from known spammer domains (e.g., cashette.com, mail.ru, etc). I banned over 100 domains which should make registering spam account more difficult.

-DougO
    keep up the good work but i'm afriad it dosn't seem to be working

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Thanks Doug!

Leave a comment:

• DougO
    replied
    The latest version of vBulletin supports image verification where the user has to type in the numbers/letters seen in a bitmap. I think that feature will help reduce spam because it should block scripted creation of accounts. I'm going to try and schedule some time to perform the upgrade soon.

In December the spammers were very active and created about 800 new accounts here. Fortunately most of those were never used and are now deleted. Today I enabled a feature that will block user's from registering using email addresses from known spammer domains (e.g., cashette.com, mail.ru, etc). I banned over 100 domains which should make registering spam account more difficult.

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Or just ask a maths equation like
    Three plus six equals

Accept nine and 9.

Leave a comment:

• DougO
    replied
    Originally posted by thebaron
    Maybe something like a "word" verification system like they use for posting comments on blogger? Does v bulletin allow for plug-ins?
    There are ways to add 3rd party features to vBulletin and I expect someone offers a "type in the squiggly letters" verification page. I'll check the vBulletin support forums and see if there are any recommendations.

-DougO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X