No announcement yet.

"Together We Will Go" Novel - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Intrepid Reporter has managed to snag an e-ARC of "Together We Will Go". My unspoiling thoughts:

- This is like nothing we've seen from JMS before. And it's amazing.

- Not an easy - or maybe I mean comfortable - read in a number of places.

- Filled with wonderful, memorable characters.

I love this one a lot. It was definitely a galley with several issues so I look forward to the final version which I still have pre-ordered.

Oh, and JMS posted that the Kindle version is half price (at least in the US) right now at $12.99.
    Last edited by Jan; 12-12-2020, 03:33 PM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

WOW! I am very surprised you were able to get that with a July release. Lucky you. At least I assume it was luck and not some sort of elaborate heist.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
        WOW! I am very surprised you were able to get that with a July release. Lucky you. At least I assume it was luck and not some sort of elaborate heist.
        I'm surprised that things are happening so far out, too. But what I don't know about publishing is pretty much everything. There was a giveaway at Goodreads for 50 hard copies that I don't seem to have won, It wasn't a heist, I promise! It seems that there are places where you can actually request ARCs. So I did so. A friend turned me on to this and I'm not sure I'm free to let folks know the site but perhaps just knowing it exists might help. I would definitely keep an eye on Goodreads, as they had a few of those giveaways for "Becoming Superman".

"As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Yeah I didn't win the BECOMING SUPERMAN giveaway. I had to pay my good hard earned money for it.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Yeah I didn't win the BECOMING SUPERMAN giveaway. I had to pay my good hard earned money for it.
            Oh, I still bought a copy of that and the audiobook, too, because I wanted to hear Peter. And I'm sure I'll do the same for 'Together We Will Go'. Wonder if they'll do giveaways for the writing book? Inquiring minds...

Comment

Finally got around to writing my review for the site where I got the ARC. No spoilers as long as you've read the description of the book.

What’s the mark of a good book? For me, it’s when you’re still thinking about it days after you’ve finished it. You’ll meet a dozen people here, all with a shared purpose and destination but nothing else in common except their shared humanity. As the journey progresses, you’ll get to know them as they get to know each other and sometimes bond in surprising ways.

I can only remember one other book I’ve read in the epistolary format but I very much like how this style is used to help the reader understand the characters, why they’re there, and why they want to do what they’re doing. You’ll experience this journey and these characters through journal entries, text messages, voice recordings, and emails between each other and the other people in the characters’ lives. It’s an effective and in-depth way to learn about each of them.

In the end, I think it has a happy ending whether each achieved their purpose or not. Whichever way each character goes, it’s a satisfactory conclusion for them. I whole-heartedly recommend this book!

Comment

Amazon UK now has 'Together' up for pre-order. They list a paperback that will be available but not a hardcover. The US listing shows a hardcover but no paperback.
                Last edited by Jan; 12-23-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Another giveaway of ARC copies:
                  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...her-we-will-go

Good luck!!

Comment

Post from JMS with exciting news regarding the initial print run of "Together We Will Go"
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Library Journal.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	157628
                    https://www.libraryjournal.com/?deta...--prepub-alert

From what I can tell, initial print runs are usually far smaller. One article I read said that 15,000-25,000 is considered to be good.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jan; 02-05-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

And in answer to a question I asked about that large of a print run:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Print run.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	157631

Comment

A new online review. So if you think I'm biase (which I am!), here's another opinion of TOGHETHER WE WILL GO.
                        https://books-are-a-girls-best-frien...-gallerybooks/

Comment

JMS posted a way for folks to get TOGETHER WE WILL GO in advance of the publicatin date (this is how I got it).
                          https://www.netgalley.com/publisher/title/210524

Click image for larger version  Name:	Netgalley.JPG Views:	1 Size:	38.1 KB ID:	157654

Comment

Name:	Together UK Cover.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	157718 JMS posted the UK cover. Note that this one also has a cat.

Comment

Post from JMS regarding the reviews coming in for TWWG. Looking through them, the ones who give low ratings are the ones who *don't even finish it*. Seems like some don't care for the epistolary format. And, to be honest, reading the e-book does take a little extra effort to read the texts and voice mails. I read it on my phone. Not sure how it woud look on a regular Kindle But it's worth the effort for the richness it brings.

Curious how many here are planning on reading it?

Name:	Reviews.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	157793

Comment

JMS post thread about the book this morning. For information on any appearances, see the General topic.

In the life of every writer or artist there's one work which they believe marks a point of transition, a work that will survive them. In television that’s #Babylon5 and #sense8. In prose, for me, it's Together We Will Go, which debuts July 6 in the US & UK
                                It’s a deeply personal novel that I could not have written ten or even five years ago. I had to grow into it. Or it had to grow into me. Funny how these things work. It’s a book composed entirely of risks --
                                -- a mainstream character story, not genre; an epistolary novel told in texts: voicemails, emails, audio recordings and journal entries by a dozen people rather than through one conventional narrator; and the subject examined by the book is suicide, but not in the expected way.
                                It uses that subject to explore the things that give our lives meaning as the characters bond and discover joy, compassion, love, loss, friendship and most of all: hope. Against the odds. However improbable. Hope. The story is about twelve characters, most young, one older --
                                -- at what they believe is the end of their individual roads, who come together on a literal road as they undertake one last journey into the mysteries of the human heart. Flawed, lost, broken and isolated, they suddenly find themselves no longer alone --
                                -- sharing space and intent with others similarly inclined to ride out into the sunset…and from those alloyed personalities something unexpected, beautiful and profound emerges, shaping and changing them in deeply personal ways.
                                Together We Will Go is a generational bridge, a love letter to what is noblest in the soul. Catriona Ward calls it “a hymn to life.” Newsweek made it one of their top recommended summer reads, calling it “lighthearted, peculiar, poignant and profound all at once.”
                                It is also the capstone to 40 years as a writer; the story that I have been traveling toward since the very first time I put pen to paper. If you are someone who has followed my work in one field or another, if that work has held significance or meaning, or even just provided --
                                -- a worthy distraction, then I commend this book to you with all my heart. In every life there is an It: a divorce, a marriage, a birth, a death, a prognosis, a diagnosis or a new beginning, and nothing's the same any more. There's your life before It, and your life after It.
                                For me, for my work and my life, Together We Will Go is an It…and in celebration of our 30 year online conversation, I hope you will join me on the journey to wherever this particular It will take us both.
                                I can't wait for everybody to read this book!!! It's just so amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X