Golden age of TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden age of TV

Interesting article on The Guardian today on the astronomical budgets TV shows are now attracting.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...er-show-series

Looks like streaming giants' TV original content is pretty much going head to head with Hollywood blockbusters, and is increasingly becoming the dominant format. Gotta say, at this point, some of the TV coming out far outstrips most films in terms of depth of story telling. I still love a good, well balanced film, but in terms of artistic expression, serialised TV has perhaps taken over.

Sense8 gets a mention too.
    Last edited by Ubik; 02-12-2018, 03:52 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

I am getting a 404 Error when I click the link.

I found the article on their website.

(Side Note!) WOW! doesn't that photo of Doona Bae look AWESOME!
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      I am getting a 404 Error when I click the link.

I found the article on their website.
      I didn't. An alternative link would be nice.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        I didn't. An alternative link would be nice.
        Here you go. The link was duplicated in the original post.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...er-show-series

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
          Interesting article on The Guardian today on the astronomical budgets TV shows are now attracting.
          Maybe it's just me, but I find that older shows were often better for not having astronomical budgets. For example, classic Doctor Who was often derided for wobbly sets, but the series worked hard, especially during its golden age, to overcome its low budget with good acting and clever writing.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
            Maybe it's just me, but I find that older shows were often better for not having astronomical budgets. For example, classic Doctor Who was often derided for wobbly sets, but the series worked hard, especially during its golden age, to overcome its low budget with good acting and clever writing.
            I tend to agree with you, but lower-budget, heart-felt storytelling doesn't attract most of the younger audience. And as much as I think the visual part of our television and film can be used to try to cover up a real lack in other areas, I also must say that some of the modern science fiction is extremely well written with some great characters and acting.

And digital has made it a lot easier to make an impressive looking show. Just edit that set wobble right on out.
            "Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact." - William James

Comment

Link fixed in the original post. Yeah, I hear you guys on the low budget but great storytelling front. You don't need massive budgets to weave a good yarn.

Case in point, I am watching Altered Carbon right now and whilst it's VERY pretty and the production values are awesome, I am struggling to remember the names of any of the characteres. The worldbuilding is ace, but the plot and characters; not so much. They all seem like watered down cyberpunk cliches with very little emotional content to get me invested, and I'm almost at the end of S1.

I think they were trying for 'Blade Runner the TV show', and it gets pretty close, but lacks the emotional core needed to engage me.
              Last edited by Ubik; 02-12-2018, 04:48 AM.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Working...
              X