No announcement yet.

Star Trek Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S3 has been okay. I flip flop a lot on whether I like the show that much as a whole.

Has anyone else noticed that vast abundance of 'emotional' character beats that just aren't earned or built up to at all. For example, we are supposed to get all emotional about mirror universe Phillippa, but I just don't feel like the character has earned that level of viewer attachment at all. Burnham also still feels weirdly un-relatable to me. I have the same with most of the cast. The whole thing with Tilly as number one just also feels forced to me, and again, it's super hard to buy into.

I dunno, it has just made a lot of narrative jumps that feel jarring or eye rolling. On the whole, still watching and it's fun, but it feels like I'm watching a slightly hokey new SF show and not Trek. When you have shows like Mando and The Exapnse totally nailing their plot / character beats, it just feels a bit lacking in the writing department.
    Last edited by Ubik; 01-01-2021, 08:32 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I lost track of the show during it's last season, I think. Once my fav character left, I was too bored. I did love the cat, and that Michael's boyfriend risks his life to save space whales, and other endangered animals. I though that was really cool and unique. But like with every trek show before, I always lose interest after a few seasons. I thought this one might be the first one I watch all the way through. And maybe I will, one day. I don't know. I liked how technology evolved, although, I'm not sure how I feel about the burn, and everything happening with that.

The modern form of storytelling does tend to skip over characters earning things. Earning/training, anything requiring patience seems to have gone out of fashion. You're told who the characters are, and how you're supposed to feel about them, and expected to just go with it.

Part of this may be the miniaturized versions of seasons now. The UK has had decades of practice doing mini-series, but this is still new for American writers, so maybe they're just trying to skip characterization to make room for plot. When the majority of your budget is blown on special effects, things like plotting and characterization tend to go out the spaceshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
        I lost track of the show during it's last season, I think. Once my fav character left, I was too bored. I did love the cat, and that Michael's boyfriend risks his life to save space whales, and other endangered animals. I though that was really cool and unique. But like with every trek show before, I always lose interest after a few seasons. I thought this one might be the first one I watch all the way through. And maybe I will, one day. I don't know. I liked how technology evolved, although, I'm not sure how I feel about the burn, and everything happening with that.

The modern form of storytelling does tend to skip over characters earning things. Earning/training, anything requiring patience seems to have gone out of fashion. You're told who the characters are, and how you're supposed to feel about them, and expected to just go with it.

Part of this may be the miniaturized versions of seasons now. The UK has had decades of practice doing mini-series, but this is still new for American writers, so maybe they're just trying to skip characterization to make room for plot. When the majority of your budget is blown on special effects, things like plotting and characterization tend to go out the spaceshield.
        I think your analogy is bang on the money. Picard suffered from the same issue too, all plot and no character development, so it also felt very hollowed out and weird. I still had no idea who the extended crew really were by the end of S1. Disco is doing slightly better, but I do want to get to know more of the crew.

I don't mind the burn stuff. I kinda want them to have their own continuity that's not too wedded to existing Trek. It still feels like there's a lot of potential for this show that isn't always realised.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

I think your analogy is bang on the money. Picard suffered from the same issue too, all plot and no character development, so it also felt very hollowed out and weird. I still had no idea who the extended crew really were by the end of S1. Disco is doing slightly better, but I do want to get to know more of the crew.

I don't mind the burn stuff. I kinda want them to have their own continuity that's not too wedded to existing Trek. It still feels like there's a lot of potential for this show that isn't always realised.
          Don't get me started on Picard! *teehee* I actually really loved their season one until the end. It reminded me of Thirdspace. But that ending was such a letdown. I do agree that the characterization was pretty much nil. There was a ton of potential there, but the writing was frustratingly shallow. I started off loving the Picard premiere, and then falling out of love a little bit, episode by episode.

Discovery is better than Picard, I'll give you that!

Comment

Working...
          X