No announcement yet.

"Midnight Nation" TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this book; I'd hate to see it done wrong too.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      Isn't that possibly the third or fourth time for Midnight Nation alone?
      You're thinking Rising Stars, I think.

Face it, *most* optioned properties don't get made. H-wood seems to have a very short attention span.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        You're thinking Rising Stars, I think.
        Yes you might be right there.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Face it, *most* optioned properties don't get made. H-wood seems to have a very short attention span.
        EXACTLY!

BUT I still believe JMS is possibly telling the truth. He knows Midnight Nation is one of his most acclaimed properties. If he felt they were giving it the WB treatment then I'm sure he would pull the plug.

(Since people will ask, what I mean by the WB treatment is just flatly not doing things correctly. Every studio is going to meddle. The question is how much will their meddling negatively effect the final product and is part of their meddling not delivering on the original agreement - especially financially. In fairness we all know WB did good things for B5 - In The Beginning more than toward the end and beyond.)
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Huh. This isn't great.

I do wonder how extreme the diversion was? TV and comics are very different mediums. I'm actually all for differences when it comes to adaptation, nothing more dull than a straight reproduction of the source material.

However, JMS isn't an idiot, so I am guessing the pitch or amendments really took a turn that didn't sit well with him. That, or the project just ran out of steam at pilot stage if the two (studio and creator) couldn't agree on a clear mandate for the show.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Sometimes it's better not to do a project than to end up credited for something that's shit, even when you're trying to establish yourself. I know that struggle from personal experience. It's hard to say no, to turn down an offer, but sometimes you really need to, or you end up working on something that you hate and which ends up being an embarrassment rather than a good credit on your resume.
            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Another thing I'm not sure has been discussed yet and that is the fact that it was going to be a TV Series. Just saying that phrase raises two alarms. One there are too many TV Series to count right now and there are quite a few adapted from comics. I'm not sure how many of them based on comics similar to Midnight Nation have been successful, if any. (I'm actually thinking that many shows with a supernatural lean have not lasted very long in recent years that weren't fake reality shows or SUPERNATURAL itself.) The second alarm would be that he is in partnership with Universal and where are they "shopping the series"? One would hope someplace free from restriction, but then again NBC would be a great place to have Straczynski's name on a series for "street cred". Given these two issues it is easy to see why parties may have backed out of the project, especially JMS if he wasn't comfortable with the direction his work was taking. I doubt he would back out of the project simply because some reigns might have needed to be pulled back to get it on a certain network. I'm sure the case would have to be someone thinking the show needed to take a completely different turn that JMS felt would destroy its identity.
              Last edited by Looney; 06-05-2018, 07:04 AM.
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Working...
              X