X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonas View Post
    Has anyone else started missing shows with longer seasons, by the way? Almost everything I'm watching has 12 episodes now, and frequently it's just not enough to properly develop the characters.
    Very much! I'm *so* desperately tired of people referring to character moments and episodes as 'filler'! If I wanted a thriller, that's what I would have sought out. I don't care for those and have no use for shows being formatted as though they were.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    I should say that I don't throw the term "masterpiece" around easily, but I do think Sense8 deserves it. We'll just have to agree to disagree about its flaws.
    Each to their own. I think Sense8 has plenty of merit, but doesn't quite hit the 'masterpiece' mark for me. I'd have trouble putting it alongside something like say, 'The Wire' and calling them equal. I think that's probably still my benchmark for 'masterpiece TV' full stop.

Originally posted by Jonas
    Has anyone else started missing shows with longer seasons, by the way? Almost everything I'm watching has 12 episodes now, and frequently it's just not enough to properly develop the characters.
    I'm actually a big fan of the 10 -12 episode format. I feel it forces tighter writing and better arcs. I think a show like Sense8 would have benefitted from longer seasons with the ensemble cast, as it stands I still feel like we could have done with less characters with the shorter season format.

I think the main issue I have with the standard 26 episode USA style season length is that shows become prone to slighly sub standard filler episodes. That said, I have to admit that it does allow for some nice character moments, and gives scope to explore different styles of storytelling. Hard to think of any shows in that format that don't have episodes I tend to skip though.
    Last edited by Ubik; 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jonas
    replied
    I should say that I don't throw the term "masterpiece" around easily, but I do think Sense8 deserves it. We'll just have to agree to disagree about its flaws.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Oh, heck, B5 was about as flawed as it gets with logic holes you could throw a cow through! "Far from perfect" and "has its share of flaws" are the marks of storytelling that takes risks.
    Oh yeah, not saying B5 is perfect either! Not by a long shot. But I think terms like 'masterpiece' or 'genius' are thrown around too liberally these days. I think Sense8 does well to do things that other shows aren't doing. Not sure that adventurous storytelling necessitates flaws though. You can have consistency, quality and still push the envelope. But yeah, creating any piece of fiction is hard and writers are just human beings. It also comes down to personal taste too.

Addendum: In fact, come to think of it, both shows are flawed, but endearingly so, and if they fail on occasion, they at least have the decency to fail in interesting ways.
    Last edited by Ubik; 07-11-2017, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Oh, heck, B5 was about as flawed as it gets with logic holes you could throw a cow through! "Far from perfect" and "has its share of flaws" are the marks of storytelling that takes risks.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Same here. While I think Sense8 will end up being remembered as one of the great masterpieces of our time, I do long to see a show that is structurally more like B5.
    I think Sense8 will be remembered as one of the most inclusive series for this era of TV, but as much as I enjoyed it, I think it's very far from a masterpiece. It's definitely an an interesting show, but far from perfect and has it's share of flaws IMHO. Could be that I'd feel differently at the end of a 5 year arc, but it just doesn't feel as intelligently plotted an arc as B5 did, and too many of the characters still feel a bit shallow to me, even after 2 seasons. But that's probably a whole other thread / conversation!
    Last edited by Ubik; 07-11-2017, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jonas
    replied
    Same here. While I think Sense8 will end up being remembered as one of the great masterpieces of our time, I do long to see a show that is structurally more like B5.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    I was just thinking today, that I'd love to see a TV series again with JMS at the helm. Sense8 has been fun, but I would be intrigued to see what a show put together by just Joe on his own would look like these days.
    Me, too! Very much.

The thing is, with Sense8, I’ve never really had that ‘wow’ moment, or as Joe puts it the ‘kick over all the tables’ moment that I had with B5 when I watched ‘Chrysalis’. I really yearn for something like this again.
    I did with Sense8, though not in the way you mean. With Sense8, it was an emotional punch rather than a plot item (which I think is fitting, given the nature of the show).

But yeah - I really want to see an 'all JMS going flat out' show some time and this might be a great opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    I was just thinking today, that I'd love to see a TV series again with JMS at the helm. Sense8 has been fun, but I would be intrigued to see what a show put together by just Joe on his own would look like these days.

The thing is, with Sense8, I’ve never really had that ‘wow’ moment, or as Joe puts it the ‘kick over all the tables’ moment that I had with B5 when I watched ‘Chrysalis’. I really yearn for something like this again.

Sure, there’s plenty of great TV out there right now. But I am still very nostalgic about B5 and the style of storytelling it represented.

I hope this goes forward and we get to see that kind of TV again. I am beginning to think that B5 really was a unique coming together of talent that we may never see again.
    Last edited by Ubik; 07-11-2017, 01:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Delenn_of_Mir
    replied
    You certainly could believe that if you wanted to. There's a part of our brain that if we decide to focus on something will only show us things that meet our criteria. Most people do this unconsciously, and then feel like something supernatural or magical is happening.

Kind of like how when you buy a new car, and then all of a sudden you see that car everywhere. Or if certain numbers are significant to you, you will see them over and over again.

It's harder to make it work when you want one very specific thing to happen though, like for a tv series to get made. But if you just want to be happier, choose to believe that the world is a wonderful place full of good people and miracles everywhere you look.

If you really believe that, that's what you'll see, all around you. Your brain will helpfully edit out anything that doesn't match your worldview. It can work for getting rich, too. If you secretly work very hard and decide to focus on nothing else but getting rich, all sorts of opportunities will rise up and it will feel like the universe is conspiring to make all your dreams come true. But really, your brain is just showing you what you're looking for.

You wouldn't have seen those opportunities before because you were focused on something else and our brains can't process everything out there, so we only see a tiny sliver of what's actually out there.

What does this have to do with Midnight Nation? Nothing. Nothing at all. Thoughts were in my head and now they have magically been transported to your screen. In a very rambly manner.

If you loved the story of Midnight Nation so much that you wanted to live in it though, you totes could. The brain, properly stimulated can make anything happen.

Now I've got to go off start telling my subconscious to make me believe I live on the Babylon Station.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    I sure wish my optimism was powerful. That would be a cool superpower. Just be optimistic about something and it happens. WOW! would my life be awesome and VERY positive.
    Now that *would* be a cool superpower!

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    I sure wish my optimism was powerful. That would be a cool superpower. Just be optimistic about something and it happens. WOW! would my life be awesome and VERY positive.

Leave a comment:

• Delenn_of_Mir
    replied
    Keep on being faithfully optimistic, Looney!!!!! Maybe if one of us does, something good will accidentally happen. Midnight Nation could be really good. And Superheroes are always fun. Only time will tell if either one gets made. If they're good, I'll enjoy them for however long they last.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    No news since February. I'm guessing we'll hear something REALLY soon. I am hoping for a trifecta at SDCC, Rising Stars and Midnight Nation ready to start casting, and anything that says B5 reboot is moving forward. I am really interested to find out what will happen with both Rising Stars and Midnight Nation. I think Midnight Nation is the easier sell, but with DC finally having some solid success maybe anything Superhero is going to get made. With JMS' Marvel connections I'm sure he'll have very little trouble getting them both done. I hate the fact that Sense 8 getting canceled gives JMS more time to focus, but I am sure he is moving on and I guess . . . . it is up to us to keep screaming about how ridiculous this is. I still can't believe it. I had to tell my mother, who had just started watching Sense 8 the week before, it got canceled. (okay side rant over.) Needless to say I'm ready for some positive news from JMS soon and I feel like Midnight Nation might be the best hope for hearing some . . . . unless he wants to tell me that B5 reboot script is done. I'm ready to hear that.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Awesome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X