Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Instant Watch

It's on there.
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Good news! Both seasons?

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Yeah. It looks like the new format in IW has most shows in their entirety. Oddly, some SG-1 eps are marked "DVD only."

IW has saved me like $800.00 in the past six months. I've seen so many shows for which I would have shelled out so much money.
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
        Yeah. It looks like the new format in IW has most shows in their entirety. Oddly, some SG-1 eps are marked "DVD only."

IW has saved me like $800.00 in the past six months. I've seen so many shows for which I would have shelled out so much money.
        Shiny! Thanks for sharing, Doc.
        I've wanted to see the series for years, but have only caught a few disjointed eps, always on ScumFum, with commercials of +10 distractiveness.

What device are you using to access it? Regular PC or a dedicated device?

If anyone is using one of the new-ish dedicated devices, I'd appreciate reviews/advice (I'd rather use a separate device, for security reasons).

Thanks in advance!
        It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated...
        - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Comment

I use my Wii. I can't watch stuff on my computer. I can sit here and type for hours, but I can't watch stuff.

Comment

Thanks Doc!

On the advice of an AV-Geek friend, I picked up the $50 "Roku LT", and have been having a blast with my first experience of that 'thar new fangled streaming video stuff.

I've almost finished season 1 of Jeremiah.

Was plodding thru the first few eps, until the first time I had that magical "Joe wrote this" moment.
            Been mostly enjoying it since then (cringing at the problematic stuff, but I now have caught the patterns and my brain is attempting to run a noise-balancing algorithm in the background).

Also had a wonderful moment when I realized that Kurdy is Garibaldi, or at least, the same archetype, which got me wondering whether all of JMS' creations include a Garibaldi.

Next up is "Things Left Unsaid", which I'll probably sandwich around the Republican debate tonight, to cleanse my brain.

New question:
            How does it end?

Ok, technically, I don't want to know details (had to type it that way).
            I just want a general sense of whether it stops abruptly, or partially or mostly winds things up.

Quick advice for other Jeremiah virgins:
            Do not watch it on SyFy / ScumFum / whatever-the-frack-they're-currently-calling-themselves.
            It is thoroughly butchered, and an utter waste of your time.

Quick caveat for fellow hearing-impaired:
            Netflix's IW does not have closed captioning for Jeremiah.
            They do for many other series/movies, just not Jeremiah.

The quality of the soundtrack is poor, and even with it cranked way up, I usually miss something at least once per episode.
            Fortunately, Joe's speeches are generally not muttered, and are about the easiest to follow, sound quality wise.
            It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated...

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmunk View Post
              New question:
              How does it end?

Ok, technically, I don't want to know details (had to type it that way).
              I just want a general sense of whether it stops abruptly, or partially or mostly winds things up.
              It ends well. It's the darndest thing I've ever seen and a credit to JMS' writing skill. He knew that he wouldn't be returning to the show but he left a few interesting threads begun which a new showrunner could have either picked up or ignored but they hadn't gone so far as to leave you beating your head on a wall. Then end, though, leaves one satisfied even though it might be considered a cliffhanger.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the second season. I love it a lot.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Quick new question:
                Why doesn't Netflix have Babylon 5 in their Instant Watch offerings?

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                It ends well. It's the darndest thing I've ever seen and a credit to JMS' writing skill. He knew that he wouldn't be returning to the show but he left a few interesting threads begun which a new showrunner could have either picked up or ignored but they hadn't gone so far as to leave you beating your head on a wall. Then end, though, leaves one satisfied even though it might be considered a cliffhanger.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the second season. I love it a lot.
                Thanks Jan, that's exactly what I wanted to know!!!

Over the weekend, watched the two-part season #1 finale and #2 starter, and was delighted at the elegance of how they "handled" the dilemna at the heart of those episodes.

Last night, I marathoned the next four eps, and season #2 is definitely an improvement, with more consistency. The improvement is similar to Babylon 5: tendrils all over the place, better acting, and more "Joe wrote this" moments.

It didn't take long for me to grow to respect the character of Markus, and he has never disappointed me. He continues to be a shining paragon of what a leader should be (do Republican caucuses allow write-in candidates?).

I like the new characters, and the shift in the balances.
                It continues to be a pleasant surprise to see so many Canadian SF character actors (BSG and all Stargate series).

Bottomline:
                I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and disappointed I'll have to take a break of unknown duration.
                On the other hand, I'll be totally pumped to marathon thru those final eps!

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmunk View Post
                  Quick new question:
                  Why doesn't Netflix have Babylon 5 in their Instant Watch offerings?
                  Crystal ball says....ask Warner Bros. All I know is that WB tends to use B5 to test new distribution methods and sometimes things are on Hulu/Netflix/whatever and sometimes not.

Thanks Jan, that's exactly what I wanted to know!!!
                  "I live to serve, I serve to live" (said by an actress in the Rangers movie who also plays a *very* different part in season 2 of Jeremiah.

Over the weekend, watched the two-part season #1 finale and #2 starter, and was delighted at the elegance of how they "handled" the dilemna at the heart of those episodes.
                  That was one of the downright creepiest things I've ever seen. Extremely well done but <shiver>.

I like the new characters, and the shift in the balances.
                  It continues to be a pleasant surprise to see so many Canadian SF character actors (BSG and all Stargate series).
                  I hate that JMS says it was the worst experience in his life but there's some danged fine TV in Jeremiah.

Keep us posted when you get back to it.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                  X