For All Mankind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For All Mankind

So I signed up for a free trial of Apple TV recently and I was pleasantly suprised to find this little gem. Personally, I feel there have been very few really good sci-fi shows (especially space sci-fi) for quite a few years now. For All Mankind has reassured me that really strong sci-fi isn't dead. There are some very familiar names on the production team - Ronald D. Moore (ST:TNG, STDS9, BG Reboot), Joe Menosky (Trek from TNG to ENT), Denise and Michael Okuda (Ditto). This show has everything really, complex, interweaving storylines, three dimensional characters that have space to develop and grow, good effects, even a pretty decent soundtrack. Its certainly worth giving this one a try, I probably haven't seen a new sci-fi show as compelling as this in 20 years.
    Last edited by G'Quan; 12-13-2022, 04:07 PM.

That is an impressive team. Thanks for the head's up.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

That sounds interesting. I had not heard about it before, but will look it up now.

Comment

For All Mankind is a good alternate history Sci Fi watch.

If you like a good spy thriller that is also a dark comedy, since you have Apple+ it would be worth it to check out Slow Horses. It is currently in the middle of its second season, and has already been approved for season 3 & 4. It stars Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
          For All Mankind is a good alternate history Sci Fi watch.

If you like a good spy thriller that is also a dark comedy, since you have Apple+ it would be worth it to check out Slow Horses. It is currently in the middle of its second season, and has already been approved for season 3 & 4. It stars Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas.
          Thanks for the suggestion, I love spy stuff so it sounds like something I'll enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by G'Quan View Post
            So I signed up for a free trial of Apple TV recently and I was pleasantly suprised to find this little gem. Personally, I feel there have been very few really good sci-fi shows (especially space sci-fi) for quite a few years now. For All Mankind has reassured me that really strong sci-fi isn't dead. There are some very familiar names on the production team - Ronald D. Moore (ST:TNG, STDS9, BG Reboot), Joe Menosky (Trek from TNG to ENT), Denise and Michael Okuda (Ditto). This show has everything really, complex, interweaving storylines, three dimensional characters that have space to develop and grow, good effects, even a pretty decent soundtrack. Its certainly worth giving this one a try, I probably haven't seen a new sci-fi show as compelling as this in 20 years.
            Just a quick post to say cheers for the recommendation. First episode was classy, and Ron D Moore has rarely let me down. Looking forward to watching more.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Been ill with Covid (boy, it's not fun, even fully vaccinated)... so I've been binging this show. It's brilliant.

Absolutely love how it subtly messes with history whilst still keeping in key political events to make it feel rooted in the real world. I see where they are going with this and it's just compulsive viewing to see the jumps in the space programme. The writing and characters are just top notch, and the amount of time I've been reduced to an emotional mess during season 1 speaks volumes about how well its written. Also, it's worth mentioning that whilst it has those 'edge of the seat moments' of space related peril, the show also has a lot of joy and wonder for space travel and exploration. It reminded me of obsessively watching the Mars Pathfinder launch and footage as a kid

Just about to hit Season 3 and I'm excited to see more. Haven't seen an SF show with this ambitious a scope in some time and i really hope they get the full 7 year arc they are gunning for, because this is just great.
              Last edited by Ubik; 01-29-2023, 02:25 PM.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

The plan is seven seasons is it? Would be good, although I'm not sure if there's enough scope to carry on that long, we are already up to a base on Mars. But it will be fascinating to see where this gem goes next.

Incidentally, watching For All Mankind reminded me of an HBO series from the mid-nineties chronicling the Apollo missions called From the Earth to the Moon. I don't know where one would watch that today, but it might be enjoyable for anything who liked this.

Comment

Working...
                X