The great Trek barrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great Trek barrage

It has been building for some years now, but I was struck this other day by how many Trek-shows there are out there these days. Even though I am a big Trek fan it is hard to know where to start. Time to watch TV is a precious commodity after all. But on the whole it is probably great for Trek and Sci-Fi in general.

Do you have any favourites among them?

Personally I find ST: Lower Decks fantastic, fun and very much TNGish.
    ‚Äč

Yep. There's so much Trek out there right now. I love TNG and TOS, but I absolutely loathed Picard and found Disco passable at best, with generally lazy and confused writing that just didn't grab me at all.

Strange New Worlds has, however, totally blown me away and it's potentially the best 1st Season of any Trek show EVER. So damn good. I'm glad to see them going back to 'story of the week' episodes with some continuity. The cast is pitch perfect, and the writing is on point. It tackled modern social issues without being as on the nose as Disco, and therefore far more effective.

Lower Decks has been a lot of fun too.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      Yep. There's so much Trek out there right now. I love TNG and TOS, but I absolutely loathed Picard and found Disco passable at best, with generally lazy and confused writing that just didn't grab me at all.

Strange New Worlds has, however, totally blown me away and it's potentially the best 1st Season of any Trek show EVER. ... .
      Strange New Worlds sonds like great fun and so far I have not seen any negative opinions about it. Looking forward to getting the chance to watch it.

But how on Earth do you find the time to watch all the new Trek?

Comment

I'm enjoyng the new Trek series. All of them to one degree or another.

My favorite is Strange New Worlds. It's old school trek but updated. It respects continuity (mostly) yet adds its own twists on things.
        Next comes Lower Decks. Lots of fun. TNG era and lots of potential for cross overs.
        Picard and Disco are pretty much tied IMO. I like that Disco jumped to the future and gives it fresh start. I'm not super happy with Burnham as a character, and I think having her be Spock's sister was a mistake. And the spore drive, give me a break.

Picard is interesting and good way to confront aging in our characters. That said I loved how they brought back Q last season. But I'm not sure about the new alliance with the Borg. With next season being it's last I'm in.
        All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

It seems that Picard and Disco are the shows that have the widest spectrum of reactions, while Strange ... and Lower Decks seems to be enjoyed of most people. I've only seen the first season of Disco so far, and liked it. We will absolutely look at more if it, but we are big fans of Michelle Yeoh

Comment

Working...
          X