UFO -some classic sci-fi love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO -some classic sci-fi love

Finding our self's suddenly indoors a lot we started watching the old TV-series UFO. We've come 4-5 episodes so far. And it is fantastic. Ok, some of the plots are, perhaps basic is the right word nowdays, but still great fun. It is of course a Gerry Anderson show but I am very impressed with the models. Not to mentioned the groovy sound track.

I never say it when I was young so I appreciate it mostly as a time-document, I guess. Is there any UFO love here?
    Last edited by Satai with Punsch; 05-16-2020, 11:29 AM.

God yeah, got this bookmarked and is among the things that get played in the background while working on stuff. Most of the FX guys on B5 were HUGE Gerry Anderson/Mike Trim/Derek Meddings, etc fans as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Comment

I haven't seen the show since it was first broadcast in the U.S. back in 1970. The special effects reminded me of Thunderbirds without the strings.

Comment

The costumes are in a league of their own. Is it ever explained why the women on the moon base wear purple wigs? In one of the first episodes one of them travels to Earth and changes into a brunette.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
          The costumes are in a league of their own. Is it ever explained why the women on the moon base wear purple wigs? In one of the first episodes one of them travels to Earth and changes into a brunette.
          From the Wiki page about UFO:
          The Andersons never explained at the time why female Moonbase personnel uniformly wore mauve or purple wigs, silver catsuits, and extensive eye make-up. Furthermore, their unusual apparel is never discussed in the series. Gerry Anderson has since commented that it made them look more futuristic and that it filmed better under the bright lights, while Sylvia Anderson said she believed wigs would become accepted components of military uniforms by the 1980s. However, in an interview given toward the end of her life, Sylvia explained that the decision was a combination of visual appeal and practicality - the wigs provided a striking and futuristic look, but they also saved the production the considerable time and expense of having to style the hair of each of the female Moonbase staff for each episode, as well as keeping the 'look' of the hairstyles consistent from episode to episode. However, whenever female Moonbase personnel visited Earth (as Ellis and Barry did from time to time), their lunar uniforms and wigs were never worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
            Finding our self's suddenly indoors a lot we started watching the old TV-series UFO. We've come 4-5 episodes so far. And it is fantastic. Ok, some of the plots are, perhaps basic is the right word nowdays, but still great fun. It is of course a Gerry Anderson show but I am very impressed with the models. Not to mentioned the groovy sound track.

I never say it when I was young so I appreciate it mostly as a time-document, I guess. Is there any UFO love here?
            Oh yeah! I own the entire series on DVD.

And as it just so happens, last month I stumbled across RAF-MX User Profile | DeviantArt which includes redesigns of the classic SHADO vehicles. Some of this artwork was featured (with added animation) in this video.

Comment

Thanks Kraig. The wigs sure are colorful and I can understand the practical point of view.

alpha128, since I started watching the show I've started noticing the vessels quite often in all kinds of places. Fun to notice things that previously passed me by.

Comment

Working...
              X