Accents ... and confusion ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accents ... and confusion ??

I have seen several people in all kinds of places complain about the accents in Sense8, and I have to chuckle a bit.

As someone who has worked for over 25 years in an international organisation I have absolutely no problems with the accents. They feel real, and I have heard *much stronger* accents than we hear in the series.

Actually I really like them. Those who complained about confusion, what would they feel if everyone spoke in their own language only. (Hint : even more confusion )

Also, in the very beginning of some of the "visitor" scenes we actually hear them speaking their own languages, initially.

Thoughts ?
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
    I have seen several people in all kinds of places complain about the accents in Sense8, and I have to chuckle a bit.

As someone who has worked for over 25 years in an international organisation I have absolutely no problems with the accents. They feel real, and I have heard *much stronger* accents than we hear in the series.

Actually I really like them. Those who complained about confusion, what would they feel if everyone spoke in their own language only. (Hint : even more confusion )

Also, in the very beginning of some of the "visitor" scenes we actually hear them speaking their own languages, initially.

Thoughts ?
    By in large, it's abolutely fine. Although, thus far Donna Bae's delivery seems to suffer a bit by being in English. There were portions where I had to back the scene up because I couldn't quite catch all of her dialogue due to her pronunciation. But, it's not a major gripe.

Personally, I watch a lot of world cinema, and I would have had no problem with subs and the actors delivering lines in their native tongue. I think it would have been a very brave move to have native languages initially and then slowly morph it into English as the cohort becomes more 'connected'. But, I appreciate why it wasn't done, and it would have also been a bit if a scripting nightmare!

One bone to pick, ss a UK resident, I found some of the London / British accents hilariously bad. or perhap 'bad' is the wrong word, it's the over emphasis on the regional nature of the speech patterns. It's just a bit over-egged. 'We're in LANDAAAN GOVNOR!' Also, some of the lines and what was clearly meant to be 'overtly British slang' was a bit embarrassing, and didn't ring true for me. The response to Riley's set in Ep.1 as 'a tight leash around me ghoulies', made me cringe, you'd get laughed out of the building for using that sentence. No one talks like that. Sorry.
    Last edited by Ubik; 06-08-2015, 04:29 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I guess the problem with the accents is that when they talk to each other in their mother tongue, there's no reason for audible accents like that. To clarify: When two Sense8s meet and talk to each other in english, it makes sense that there would be accents, but not when their supposed to actually not speak english. Did that make sense?

Now, mind you, I didn't really care about the accents, but I can understand the argument behind it.

Comment

As JMS wrote: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...50296978407424

The problem is when you have actors speaking German, Spanish, Swahili and English all in the same scene; also the actors would have to wait for phonetic cues to know when to speak their lines, hurting their performance
        My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

As a language geek, I love the accents as cues to who is from where. It helps enhance the fact that this story is taking place around the world and not just in the US or UK.

Comment

Originally posted by starfury10 View Post
            As a language geek, I love the accents as cues to who is from where. It helps enhance the fact that this story is taking place around the world and not just in the US or UK.
            As someone who speaks a few languages and being able to spot accents, sometimes even local accents within a country, I agree - completely.
            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Count me as a fan of almost anything that differentiates characters. Maybe it's silly but unless the main characters all have different looks and sounds I'm unlikely to return for a second episode. It took me a bit to remember all of the character names in Sense8 but I never had to wonder which was which even for a moment.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
              X