Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.1-Ep. 10 - "What Is Human?" - SPOILERS

What do you think?
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

S.1-Ep. 10 - "What Is Human?" - NO Spoilers

They don't ask easy questions, do they?
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Oh. My. Ghods. That was amazing. Almost too intense. I'm literally in need of a break from the intensity right now. Will most definitely finish this in the morning.

Jan

Comment

Realized one of the components that the concert/birth scene had in common with B5: Not a word spoken and yet a very, very powerful scene. Now, I don't know if the W's do that much but it's always seemed like a trademark of JMS.

Jan

Comment

There's the sex/rave/orgy scene in The Matrix Reloaded that people complain goes on forever.

I thought the birth scene was brilliant.
          My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

So, this final episode wasn't quite the 'grand revelation' I was hoping for, nor was it the 'kick over all the tables' that I wanted from JMS. Of course I want more information on the Sensates, how they function, why they exist and what Whisper's agenda is beyond being a bit creepy and wanting to lobotomise people. I think a few more answers would have been nice. It left me slightly frustrated in the same way that LOST did, in that the show seems very willing to pose questions, but only hint at answers. I can only assume these answers are waiting for us in Season 2, now that we've got the groundwork out of the way.

Still, I enjoyed this and it rounded out the season very well.

Here's the review I posted on Netflix, gave it 4/5:

Originally posted by Netflix review
            I'm a massive fan of Staczynski's work on Babylon 5, so I had to check this out!

Fair warning, you may have to seriously re-adjust your concept of pacing. Compared to your average TV show, Sense8 is a slow burner. It takes its time to get where it's going, but in doing so captures a lot of beauty and depth. The show isn't afraid to take pause and consider the dramatic vistas from the many countries this was filmed in. It also has time for genuine 'human' moments. This a brand of TV we haven't seen in quite some time.

Sense8 crams in a lot of detail and gives you fully fledged characters. Basically, I view this as a 10.5 hour long set up for the future seasons. By the time you're done you have a rock solid foundation for the next season.

Also, very nice to see LGBT issues address in an intelligent way. This is clearly something dear to the Wachowskis', and it's nice to see this side of their work. There's a level of detail and foreshadowing that's a trademark of Straczynski's writing that I am certain will come to fruition in later seasons. I sincerely hope the Wachowskis dedicate their all to Sense8 and leave the world of brainless CGI laden action films behind. Their partnership with Straczynski is a strong one, and his talent for character work really balances things out nicely.

Bravo Mr. Staczynski and the Wachowskis! Nicely played. Roll on season 2!
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              So, this final episode wasn't quite the 'grand revelation' I was hoping for, nor was it the 'kick over all the tables' that I wanted from JMS. Of course I want more information on the Sensates, how they function, why they exist and what Whisper's agenda is beyond being a bit creepy and wanting to lobotomise people. I think a few more answers would have been nice. It left me slightly frustrated in the same way that LOST did, in that the show seems very willing to pose questions, but only hint at answers. I can only assume these answers are waiting for us in Season 2, now that we've got the groundwork out of the way.

Still, I enjoyed this and it rounded out the season very well.

Here's the review I posted on Netflix, gave it 4/5:
              It’s interesting reading your comments, especially the comparison with ‘Lost’, and how it ties in with this quote from jms during one of the articles written about the show.

"I'm a big believer in playing fair with the audience," says Straczynski. "If you raise a question, then you are honour bound to answer it. So by the end of season one of Sense8 all of the crucial questions raised in the beginning of the season are answered. To not provide those answers is, I think, just mean."

I guess it boils down to what is considered the crucial questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                I guess it boils down to what is considered the crucial questions.
                Exactly. IMO the crucial questions were answered. Of course I have plenty more..
                My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Just realised I posted to the wrong thread, although my post doesn't really contain spoilers. Still, Jan could you move my post to the SPOILERS thread and any replies please.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive.

I need to watch it again before I decide what's left unanswered. I think there was a lot passed along by the woman who hexed Riley that I missed.

One thing we do know is that the lobotomized sensates become or can become puppet bodies for Whispers. That's pretty major, I think.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      Ask and you shall receive.

I need to watch it again before I decide what's left unanswered. I think there was a lot passed along by the woman who hexed Riley that I missed.

One thing we do know is that the lobotomized sensates become or can become puppet bodies for Whispers. That's pretty major, I think.

Jan
                      Cheers Jan.

Yeah, I think I wanted more of Whisper's core motivation. Why does he desperately want to wipe out the Sensates, when he's clearly one himself, or a variation on that.

Also, I still remain somewhat sketchy on the details of the 'ability sharing'. I just can't get the image out of my head of an 'in control' sensate prancing around their room kicking thin air to win a fight for someone else. There has to be a more elegant way to do this, and perhaps this will come with refined control of their abilities. But, the Sun / Capheus fight was the one scene that really bugged me. I struggled to accept the perfectly timed synchronization of situations.

I'm sure there was a scene (I have rewatch to check) where Will is visiting the high security facility in an attempt to see Jonas, and he acts to save another Sensate whilst he's walking into the building, yet he doesn't mirror the movements required in this case. Yet, he does when saving Riley when he has his 'exorcist moment' in the bar.

I need to check it, but I wanted to be sure there was consistency with this aspect. It's one of the few things where my reaction was 'really, that's a bit silly'. Well, just visually silly, from a practical point of view it kinda makes sense. It would also be a key vulnerability to be exploited, if the sensate acting for another were to be discovered, they'd easily be dispatched if they were 'elsewhere'.
                      Last edited by Ubik; 06-09-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Oh boy, I am really not with it today. This should have all been in the Episode 12 SPOILERS thread. Jeez.

I clearly need some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                          Cheers Jan.

Yeah, I think I wanted more of Whisper's core motivation. Why does he desperately want to wipe out the Sensates, when he's clearly one himself, or a variation on that.
                          Not entirely sure it's just Whispers. JMS commented about that in his panel last November saying that Whispers was a sensate who'd betrayed his own kind in order to survive. But given that part of the entire premise is that we don't know any more than the cluster does, it makes sense that we don't know why that is. Although I have a glimmering of an idea I'll be testing on my re-watch.

Also, I still remain somewhat sketchy on the details of the 'ability sharing'. I just can't get the image out of my head of an 'in control' sensate prancing around their room kicking thin air to win a fight for someone else. There has to be a more elegant way to do this, and perhaps this will come with refined control of their abilities. But, the Sun / Capheus fight was the one scene that really bugged me. I struggled to accept the perfectly timed synchronization of situations.
                          Apparently that wasn't the case. JMS was asked about that on Twitter:

Originally posted by a glint of silver
                          ‏@awickedspell Jun 8
                          sense8/// ok so i'm at the boxing/gang fight, is she doing two different things, the same thing in two places, or alternating between places
                          Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
                          ‏@straczynski Jun 8
                          @awickedspell option two.
                          I'm sure there was a scene (I have rewatch to check) where Will is visiting the high security facility in an attempt to see Jonas, and he acts to save another Sensate whilst he's walking into the building, yet he doesn't mirror the movements required in this case. Yet, he does when saving Riley when he has his 'exorcist moment' in the bar.
                          Yeah, that's something I'll want to pay more attention to. It doesn't bother me unduly, though, as I think at times we're only seeing what's going on in the character's mind.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                            Apparently that wasn't the case. JMS was asked about that on Twitter:

Originally Posted by a glint of silver
                            ‏@awickedspell Jun 8
                            sense8/// ok so i'm at the boxing/gang fight, is she doing two different things, the same thing in two places, or alternating between places
                            Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
                            ‏@straczynski Jun 8
                            @awickedspell option two.
                            Unless I am reading JMS reply wrong, this does tally with what I've described above, there are three options given in the question and option 2 is ‘the same thing in two places’, thus suggesting the synchronised movements in both fights at the same time. Am I reading JMS response correctly? If so, my argument / bugbear still stands.

I also need to re-watch with a closer eye in this.

Comment

Wow.... That concert/birth scene very powerful.

I loved that it was Wolfgang rather than Sun that helped Lito. Nice Quid Pro Quo there.

I'm going to have to re-watch these when I have more time and I can see them all on the big screen at home. I'v e been watching most of them on my phone during my train commute and at lunch (I have to make sure that no one is sitting nearby at work since you never know what's going to pop up on screen).

One minor nit to pick about this episode, While the fireworks were inter-cutting with Nomi/Neets in San Francisco, the lighting was wrong. Using the typical time that the fireworks went off around 9:00 Chicago time, it would only be 7:00pm PST. That means it would not be dark in San Francisco like it was in the scene. It would still be light out or at most dusk.

A quick check shows Sunset in SF @ 8:35 on July 4th. Full dark wouldn't happen till after 9:00pm pst.
                              All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X