Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.1-Ep. 9 - "Death Doesn't Let You Say Goodbye" - SPOILERS

This is ominous.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

S.1-Ep. 9 - "Death Doesn't Let You Say Goodbye" - SPOILERS

A little sad.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

This was just EXCELLENT. Was it me or did this one feel like a JMS heavy script?

So much great exposition, and some truly beautiful lines. I even ended up caring about characters I'd previously written off as a tad dull. We get a lot more depth to Lito's story, and even Tena becames slightly more than just a Bollywood trope in this one. I think putting the chacracters through the ringer a bit has brought out the best in the writing.

Feels like things are coming together and we're being drip fed more and more potentially world changing information about the sensates.
      Last edited by Ubik; 06-08-2015, 06:52 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I was wondering about the 'heavier JMS vibe' to this one, and wikipedia had this:

Initial writing was split between the Wachowskis and Straczynski every few episodes. The Wachowskis wrote episodes one, two, three, seven and eight. Straczynski wrote episodes four, five, six, nine and ten. Then the Wachowskis rewrote Straczynski's scripts and vice versa. Straczynski said a good portion of the writing was just him and Lana
        So, although they re-wrote parts of each others' scripts, I can still definitely hear JMS voice more clearly in those episodes. Would be interesting to see if four, five, six, nine and ten, end up being favourites here on the forums. I definitely LOVED nine and ten.

Although that's harder to place as there are now 12 episodes, but I have a feeling the opeing end of the series was expanded as opposed to the closing end? Can anyone clarify how the original 10 scripts would line up to the 12 episodes?
        Last edited by Ubik; 06-10-2015, 04:47 AM.

Comment

You can't really tell who was the original writer.

A good deal of the EP1 script made it into EP2. And another portion just didn't make it all. (Begs the question how long would EP1 be if they had filmed it as is. Probably 1.5+ hour - which is how long JMS said the first cut was).
          My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
            Although that's harder to place as there are now 12 episodes, but I have a feeling the opeing end of the series was expanded as opposed to the closing end? Can anyone clarify how the original 10 scripts would line up to the 12 episodes?
            I don't think it's likely to be that simple. For example, the designated director for an episode wasn't the director for the entire episode as would happen on a regular show. Directors were assigned to places rather than episodes. How that worked out with the Guild is anybody's guess. I'm betting that the expansion simply allowed the show to take the 'moments' and give them proper length. What was it JMS once said...that action contracts the time and dialogue expands it? Something like that.

Jan

Comment

With all the talk of death in this episode, and the playing of knocking on heavens door I figured we would see Lito pull the trigger. After hearing Yrsa talk about losing one of her cluster I thought they would go that way; I did half expect the fake gun, but was still surprised when it failed. "Everything is fake around here." Poor Lito. I really like seeing his past story and the talk of being able to face our fears - with Capheus too stuck in a bad place. I hope Sun's father really is planning to tell the truth as well.

So - Yrsa thinks Jonas is someone to stay away from and Jonas is supposedly working for the company that appears to be hunting sensates down. Interesting. I saw an exchange on twitter with JMS where he says this has something to do with a season two story when someone asked if there were things that would pay off later. Hopefully there's still a bit more to learn this season.

Comment

I um.. woah.

My friend was in tears at several points in this episode and actually sobbing during litos hearfelt pleas to HErnando, I'm really hoping Lito will step up.

the gun! I belive I screamed "you b*st*rd at the screen when it turned out to be a lighter, I'd totally forgotten that bit from earleir episode (to remind you I only see the frind I watch it with every 8 to 10 days so there are significant time gaps).

Total emotional ringer though, some heavy, heavy stuff and Jonus is not what he seems to be, I repeat what I said before. especially with only three episodes left...

I WANT MOOOOOOORE
                Last edited by phazedout; 07-14-2015, 02:01 PM. Reason: mm, forum like eating tasty phaze posts
                "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Yeah, this was a good one. I stand by my statement that this felt very 'JMS heavy' as far as the script went.

Speculation: At some point (roll on Season 2!), we're going to see a death in the cohort, and that's gonna be rough, I'm sure.
                  Last edited by Ubik; 07-15-2015, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, this episode was incredibly powerful. However, I'm afraid Lito's scene in the end was a little bit too much, too melodramatic, for me (glad to hear that it worked for others, though). Other than that, however, it was absolutely great. Loved the choice of music, first the instrumental "Mad World" and then Anthony & The Johnsons cover of "Knocking on Heavens Door". Goosebumps! This also had a couple of really strong scenes, like Nomi and Lito in the art gallery. Nomi's flashback/story was just... holy shit. Absolutely brutal. I also really loved how this scene illustrated one of the big themes of the series: The empathic connection between the sensates, and how they can help each other to deal with their pain, by sharing previous experiences, and simply being there for each other and assuring them that they're not alone. Such a powerful message, and also one that had me think back on Delenns words about community-building being humanity's greatest strength.

The other one was Riley at the grave. We already knew that something terrible must have happened, but to learn that she not only lost her husband, but also her child, seemingly right after it was born, was just devastating. But even here, she and Capheus are able to help each other with their pain by simply sharing their experiences. Also, Capheus is just such a good-humored guy. I really love his presence, and how he brings this cheerfulness to the cluster - even though it's obvious that there have also been many devastating experiences in his past (and actually still are in his present). Oh, and the scenes in Iceland were just breathtakingly beautiful. Such a nice contrast between the impressive landscape and the tragic content of those scenes...

For me, "Death Doesn't Let You Say Goodbye" definitely was the best episode of the series up to this point, and even looking back with the knowledge of the remaining three, it stays my no. 2 from Season 1. Just incredibly strong, powerful and moving.

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
                      Yes, this episode was incredibly powerful. ...
                      Such a powerful message, and also one that had me think back on Delenns words about community-building being humanity's greatest strength.

The other one was Riley at the grave.
                      I have been thinking about Delenn's comments on humanity community building several times during the series, I am now in my second watch - only because I have been busy moving the last several weeks....
                      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Working...
                      X