S.1-Ep. 6 - "Demons" - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.1-Ep. 6 - "Demons" - SPOILERS

Halfway (adding characters to make this long enough...)!
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

S.1-Ep. 6 - "Demons" - SPOILERS

Still halfway!
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

One thing that confused me a bit... The scene where Riley is being tortured with the plastic bag. Will intervenes to save her, but his own real world physical movements back in Chicago match those he's making for Riley back in London.

The same is true of the fight scene where Sun helps Capheus.

However, there are other instances, where abilties are shared but physical actions aren't mirrored.

I am thinking this is perhaps because they haven't yet fully learnt how to share abilities and not have it bleed over. Perhaps the intensity of the situation makes a difference? With Riley it was a 'life or death' situation.

The sharing would be deeply problematic if one Sensate was left punching the air like an idiot when sharing his/her abilities. Presently, I am putting this down to the Senseates learning to control these abilities. Will be interesting to see how this changes or develops as the show progresses.

Some of the synchrionised scenes kinda bugged me, because it just wouldn't work out as well as it did in reality. The Sun / Capheus one seemed a bit silly in terms of synchronicity. I couldn't quite decide if the show was implying exact 'mirrored movements' or if the fights were separate and the cross cutting between the two was meant to be more metaphorical / illustrative of the sharing of knowledge / abilities.

Curious how others saw this? I am getting the gist that ability sharing (as in the car chase with Will and Jonas) leaves the sensate's body very vulnerable.
      Last edited by Ubik; 06-09-2015, 01:52 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

General thoughts: This almost felt like a mid season finale to me. I LOVED the way this episode wrapped.

And SEX8... whoa, intense sex scenes. Perhaps a bit long winded, but very nicely executed and genuinely erotic (kinda rare on TV).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg49nS762kE
        Last edited by Ubik; 06-08-2015, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I had a funny thought while watching the pansexual orgy in this ep.

Did anyone but me think of this from S1 of B5?

Talia: "Do you know what it's like when telepaths make love, Commander? You drop every defense, and it's all mirrors: reflecting each other's feelings deeper and deeper - until, somewhere along the line, your souls mix"

For those that want to see Ms Winters again:

https://youtu.be/jg49nS762kE
          All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

I didn't think of that line specifically but it makes sense - jms exploring telepathy-type behaviors would go down similar roads. That is an apt description of the scene.

Speaking of Talia, Angel speaking to Sun is pretty much exactly what the telepath says to Talia in "Spider in the Web"

then what am I?
            the future
            Last edited by JoeD80; 06-10-2015, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Pansexual orgies are kinda the specialty of the Wachowskis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLW2Jb_lJM

Directed by: The Wachowskis
              Choreographed by: Sean Dorsey, who plays himself in Sense8, Episode 1
              My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
                I had a funny thought while watching the pansexual orgy in this ep.

Did anyone but me think of this from S1 of B5?

Talia: "Do you know what it's like when telepaths make love, Commander? You drop every defense, and it's all mirrors: reflecting each other's feelings deeper and deeper - until, somewhere along the line, your souls mix"

For those that want to see Ms Winters again:

https://youtu.be/jg49nS762kE
                Ha. I think you missed the Youtube link in my post! Great minds and all that.

Comment

JMS has been saying that he wanted to explore the idea of telepathy in more detail for years now; this is clearly that show, and that absolutely amazing sex scene in Sense8 is definitely an echo of that scene in B5.

There are other echoes, too, in later episodes.
                  Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                    Ha. I think you missed the Youtube link in my post! Great minds and all that.
                    Yeah, I tend to not click on Youtube links that much. So whilst I saw the link I didn't click on it.

That'll teach me.
                    All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Folks, there've been a few too many 'I already posted that' posts for my taste. Saying so is fine, but if you're going to post, maybe something more should be added to the conversation?

There's so very much coming in that it's inevitable that some stuff is going to be duplicated. Right now I've got 210 unread emails from my JMS and Sense8 Google Alerts. It just got too overwhelming to try to keep up with.

Not a moderator comment, just me.

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not but it's my favorite review so far, I think.
                      http://filmschoolrejects.com/opinion...ot-knowing.php

"Postcard-worthy global travel, a sci-fi conceit made possible by an editing team that deserves an MVP award, and heart-warming metaphysics are the fireworks of Sense8, but the show’s night sky canvas is lit up by Empathy."

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Folks, there've been a few too many 'I already posted that' posts for my taste. Saying so is fine, but if you're going to post, maybe something more should be added to the conversation?
                        [/url]

Jan
                        I was more pointing out that Astroboy and I had made the same comparison. Wasn't really too concerned about the double post!

Comment

Next to "Smart Money's on the Skinny Bitch", this was the other episode of Sense8's first season that didn't quite work for me. My favorite scene was the "date" between Riley and Will. Maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the actors, maybe it's the direction, and maybe it's all of the above, but I can really feel the attraction between these two. Some might think that it's all going a little bit too fast (given the fact that the first season of Sense8 seems to take place in just a couple of days), but the fact that the telepathic connection that they share might very well enhance (and accelerate) their emotions for each other notwithstanding, I think that sometimes you just click with somebody. That doesn't necessarily mean that it happens in a romantic context - but sometimes it does. "Sense8" IMO does a good job in depicting this kind of "immediate" mutual attraction. Plus: Will and Riley make for a really cute couple that I'm actively rooting for. I really liked how the exchange their cellphone numbers in order to check if they're totally crazy, or if their connection is real. I have to agree with Ubik, though, that the later scene with the plastic bag torture was insofar confusing, as it had Will physically reacting to it, doing the same movements in Chicago that Riley ended up doing in London. Sometimes they seem to act out their actions, and sometimes - seemingly - not. I hope we'll get an explanation for that sooner or later.

My main problem with "Demons" was I felt that the personal stories of the sensates mostly stalled a bit. This is especially true for Kala. I would have thought that her fainting might change the status quo, but we're pretty much at the same point now as we were 2 or 3 episodes ago. It might enforce the idea that she's stuck in this situation, with seemingly no way out, but IMHO, it didn't necessarily make for interesting television. Most of the other sensate-stories didn't really move forward either. The scenes with Lito, Daniela and Hernando that showed their increasing friendship was nice, but didn't really move their plot forward in any (meaningful) way. Same's true for Wolfgang's and Capheus' storylines. Pretty much the only thing of interest that happens is Sun actually going forward and taking the fall for her brother. Apart from that, not much really happened. Finally: I could have done without the orgy-scene. I'm not prude and it's not like it would have offended me or anything, but that's exactly the point: I didn't have any reaction to it AT ALL. I wasn't shocked, I wasn't aroused, I just watched with clinical interest. Thus, I felt this scene to be rather pointless. That said, even a not-to-good Sense8-episode is still far from bad. I especially liked the scenes where they "visit" each other again, especially Will and Riley in the beginning (as already mentioned), and Riley and Sun at the end. Overall, though, this was one of the less successfull episodes of Season 1 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
                            I have to agree with Ubik, though, that the later scene with the plastic bag torture was insofar confusing, as it had Will physically reacting to it, doing the same movements in Chicago that Riley ended up doing in London. Sometimes they seem to act out their actions, and sometimes - seemingly - not. I hope we'll get an explanation for that sooner or later.
                            Nice episode review!

I must admit I still find the whole ability sharing thing to be slightly ill defined, and I would have liked 'the rules' of how this works to be properly clarified in the first season. Or, at least, for it to be treated with consistently across the board.

There was ample time to do so with 12 episodes, and some fat could have definitely been trimmed to allow space for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                              I must admit I still find the whole ability sharing thing to be slightly ill defined, and I would have liked 'the rules' of how this works to be properly clarified in the first season. Or, at least, for it to be treated with consistently across the board.
                              Not to seem argumentative, but exactly how would those rules be clarified? Given that the entire premise is that we only learn things as the members of the cluster do, how could that happen? Yet another info-dump from Jonas?

I haven't checked this at all but my feeling is that intensity may have something to do with it - the intensity of the link between the members, and of the sensation and the emotions all probably play into it.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X