Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.1-Ep. 5 - "Art Is Like Religion" - SPOILERS

Awaiting your posts!
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

S.1-Ep. 5 - "Art Is Like Religion" - SPOILERS

Coming Soon!
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

This is probably my favorite episode so far, not as much for what happens as for it finally getting the point through to me that this is one long story that just happens to be broken into 45+ minute parts. I've gotten over waiting for BIG EVENTS to happen every time a new scene starts, and have started to enjoy the trip instead.

I especially enjoyed the Sun & Capheus scene toward the end. Those two have quickly become favorite characters after having been the last to really be introduced.

Having said all that, Sense8's final quality really depends on building all of this to one hell of a climax. I just hope it pulls it off!

Comment

After being slightly disappointed by eps 3 and 4, since they just seemed a little bit too slow even for my taste, I really liked "Art is Like Religion". I loved the scenes of Lito shooting the action scenes, complete with wirework and so on. I thought that it was a very interesting of James McTeigue to shot a scene about the filming of an action movie like... an action movie!

I also really liked the conversation between Capheus and Sun. I love the message the show entails in this scenes: That we're not alone, and that connections like that - even if they exist over such a long distance, and despite all cultural differences - can help us in tiring times. There's some very powerful stuff underneath it all, which I really appreciated. What I cared less about, though, was Lito's PMS; that was far too reminiscent of the mostly terrible "Junior" for me. Just not my kind of humor, sorry (even though it might make perfect sense within the framework of the show). Also, I could have done without Capheus "test run", which seemed a little cliched. Not exactly sure where, but I could swear that I saw a practically identical scene not too long ago.

What really stood out for me in this episode, though, was that this was the first of the bunch where I could really feel JMS' influence, especially in the dialogue. "It would be an irony of Shakespearean proportions.", "Impossibility is a kiss away from reality." and "Who can say if it is we who make the choice, or the choice that makes us?"... if I'd be more of a gambler I'd bet my 20th Anniversary coffee table book, signed by the attending cast at PCC, that those lines were written by ours truly.

Anyway, I thought that with "Art Is Like Religion", the show slowly started to pick up the pace again.

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
          After being slightly disappointed by eps 3 and 4, since they just seemed a little bit too slow even for my taste, I really liked "Art is Like Religion". I loved the scenes of Lito shooting the action scenes, complete with wirework and so on. I thought that it was a very interesting of James McTeigue to shot a scene about the filming of an action movie like... an action movie!
          The Matrix-lobby-shooting-like scene was directed by the Wachowskis. Article with behind the scenes info: http://diario.latercera.com/edicioni...nos-wachowski/

Translation:

Behind the church Santo Domingo, in the historic center of Mexico City, you can find the street Leandro Valle, a colonial passage where the Cultural Center of Contemporary Mexico, enclosure which brings together some of the most prestigious artistic creations of the Aztec country is over the past decade. There, the Wachowski brothers are destroying sculptures, pottery and paintings, with loud explosions and gunfire.

Of course not original works, are only recording their first series on the small screen, Sense8. The creators and directors of the Matrix trilogy that will clear them got a hall to record a scene of action.

The Spanish actor Miguel Angel Silvestre has been held by a harness to perform stunts requiring choreographed scene. For its part, Lana and Andy Wachowski are pure concentration. The first is the most active, constantly giving instructions between cuts. The second debate ideas with his sister between shots.
          There are indications the Wachowskis did directing in more than SF, Chicago, London, Reykjavik (Both the Wachowskis and McTeigue have been said to have worked on Iceland). For example an article credits Ep2's Bollywood-like scene to the Wachowskis. And the Capheus / Sun conversation that you mention? It should have been directed by Dan Glass who was responsible for the Seoul unit but these pictures indicate it was again the Wachowskis:

As far as I understand Tykwer's unit (Berlin, Nairobi.. especially Berlin) was the only one that was truly independent.

edit

The Wachowskis and McTeigue have history of doing second unit for each other's movies. McTeigue talking about doing 2nd unit on Speed Racer: http://news.moviefone.com/2009/11/28...teigue-part-2/

Cinematical: I noticed you had a few actors in Ninja Assassin who had also been in the Wachowki's Speed Racer, like Rain.

James McTeigue: That's the funny thing you get with the collective, right? I put Ben Miles, who's also in this movie, I put him in V [for Vendetta] to start with. When the Wachowskis got around to making Speed Racer, they went, "Wow, he's a really good guy, let's get him back." I did some second unit on Speed Racer, so I worked with Ben again, I did nearly all of Ben's scenes on Speed Racer. Then when I was getting around to doing the ninja movie, I thought, "Be good to get Ben back again." So he came back, it was good to have him.

Cinematical: How tough has it been to move back and forth between working for and with the Wachowskis and helming your own directorial projects?

McTeigue: The only reason I shot any second unit on Speed Racer was for those guys, because they're my friends. I wouldn't shoot second unit for anybody else. It's like in the same way that Tarantino shoots stuff for Rodriguez, it's that kind of relationship, I guess. And when I do second unit it's not like traditional second unit; they'll give me like whole chunks of the movie to do. "Hey, go and do this; hey, we trust you to do that." So for me it's not really slipping back and forth, and it's great. You're not like doing a close-up on a teaspoon pouring sugar into a cup or something. They let me do a lot, so for me, it just feels like I'm always making another movie. I know I started off as an assistant director for those guys, but they're so incredibly generous and such great filmmakers and such great producers that it's a pleasure actually doing stuff for those guys. And with Joel [Silver] and with Grant Hill, who's the other producer.
          Last edited by sense8ional; 07-16-2017, 05:21 AM. Reason: super-late-edit: new link
          My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

It's complicated to keep track of who directed what since directors were assigned by the location but that doesn't necessarily track to the director that shows on the episode. I wonder how they managed to clear that with the Director's Guild, since at one point JMS talked about how, if B5 was shooting a scene that was to be used for a different episode (due to availability of a guest actor, for instance) the director for that episode would take a break while the director for the different episode would come in and direct the scene to be used later. Obviously that wouldn't work with Sense8!!

Jan

Comment

Going by this: https://instagram.com/p/3zUOg7QEDP/ (spoiler of later episode) the Wachowskis also shot some action scenes in Nairobi.

This leaves only Berlin then as the place that I think Tykwer directed it all on his own (I haven't seen a single picture of them being there).
              My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Thanks for the info, sense8ional! I guess the 2nd unit-duty might be the explanation for the Wachowskis also shooting some scenes in Seoul, Mexico City etc. (which contradicts the Wikipedia-article on the filming of the show).

Comment

Liked the gunfight scene, more John woo than matrix I felt, some odd intercutting between Lito and will.

I'm watching this very slowly as I have a friend who I
                  "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Liked the gunfight scene, more John woo than matrix I felt, some odd intercutting between Lito and will.

I'm watching this very slowly as I have a friend who I'm looking at ti with and we generally don't see each other more than once a week. I don't have many thoughts on this episode, not meh just, well it was it moved things along a bit but I felt more happened in episode 6 for me.
                    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Working...
                    X