X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.1-Ep. 3 - "Smart Money's on the Skinny Bitch" - SPOILERS

Nice empty thread!

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

S.1-Ep. 3 - "Smart Money's on the Skinny Bitch" - NO Spoilers

Waiting...waiting...wondering...

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

I can see why this might have been a bad place for reviewers to sign off. Of the first 3 episodes, I found my attention wandering the most in this one. It had some cool moments, but as a whole didn't grab me as much as the first two.

I'd need to go back to find specific examples, but this was just my general feeling.

I also found myself wishing Donna Bae could have delivered her lines in her mother tongue with subs. I found some of the delivery a bit slurred and sometimes it was quite hard to catch all the words due to her delivery / pronunciation.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Good episode. Not as much mythology here but following the character stories is enjoyable. Lots of drug connections. I thought accents were fine personally. Wasn't quite sure what to make of the cop/Korean connection with the papers. Did he see all that business information? Neither seemed surprised at the time.

Enjoyed the last fight, very wire-fu matrix-style. Love that the old lady went into gang territory with the bus. "He is van damme!"

So far it seems like the Mexican story is disconnected from the rest, but I am enjoying it for what it is. Has Lito had any visions beyond blowing his line in the first episode?

Can't wait to watch #4!

Comment

Watched Ep. 2 last night on the big screen, and ep 3 via my phone on the train into work this morning.

I'm liking this. Yeah it started out slow and confusing, but I really loved EP 3. Even though I could figure out what was coming, the fight between Capheus and the gang was great. I loved how they switched between Will and the shooting and Sun and the fight.

Still not getting a good feel for the role of Lito, Riley or Wolfgang in the bigger picture, and I'm guessing Sun is covering up something for her brother and the other bank.

I absolutely loved how they handled Lito, Hernando and Daniella.

The Indian bride story line is just boring as crap to me. But I'm sure it will all make sense by the end.
          All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
            The Indian bride story line is just boring as crap to me. But I'm sure it will all make sense by the end.
            Same here. Her story/role does improve slightly (no spoilers!), but I'm at episode 11 and I still feel like her entire story line could have been left on the cutting room floor and it wouldn't have mattered.

One to go, but I'm not holding my breath. Then again, knowing JMS, I may yet have to eat my words .

Comment

My feeling (again, no spoilers) is that her story is going to become very important in a future season. Why? Because there's one thread that's been mentioned in a few story lines that hasn't come to prominence so far.

Jan

Comment

I started to come to appreciate this about the series - I am watching 8 different movies at once. Slowly they merge together. The Indian and Mexican movies are comedies; the African movie is a drama with some humor; the Chicago story is some psychic phenomenon drama (Will's partner "had to be stuck with a Mulder wannabe); etc. Having fun thinking about it this way. Will hopefully get to episode 5 tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

I went into this series having avoided pretty much all spoilers/info and love that these forums are letting me comment on one episode at a time without (so far) any real spoilers on upcoming episodes.

I felt like this was very similar to the first couple of episodes in that a lot of the way not a whole lot happened, but the end sequence makes me want to see what happens next. I'm a little confused about how Sun was able to fight both fights at once, as my understanding so far is there is only one "driver" in a body at a time. But, I'm certainly expecting the rules to made clearer as we move along.

My only real disappointment was in letting Will apparently completely forget all about Nomi's predicament in the hospital. I was also really hoping to get more of the background mythology, but none of that this time.

Overall, I'm enjoying the series, but it really seems like there are too many strands going on at the same time, so many of them are absent or barely developed each episode. No Wolfgang, hardly any development for Kala, and walk-ons for Nomi and Riley.

I'd give this episode a B- and am hoping for some pretty big connections to start being made soon so at least some of our strands can start to form a braid.

Comment

Originally posted by NotSoWize View Post
                    I'm a little confused about how Sun was able to fight both fights at once, as my understanding so far is there is only one "driver" in a body at a time. But, I'm certainly expecting the rules to made clearer as we move along.
                    Same here. I've only got one episode left to watch and I’m still mildly confused as to how this works. See my comments in the Episode 7 thread when you get there for more on this. Judging from other events before this episode; the car chase with Will and Jonas suggests that a sensate’s body is left useless and vulnerable when ‘meeting’. I assume the same is true when sharing abilities.

There’s also a suggestion later on in the series (mild spoiler) that physical movements are mirrored when acting on another sensate’s behalf. The sharing would be deeply problematic if one Sensate was left punching the air like an idiot when sharing his/her abilities. Presently, I am putting this down to the Senseates learning to control these abilities and not have their body ‘act with them’, but it’s still blurry and undefined as at episode 11, which I find a bit messy, but it may well be a very intentional creative decision. Will be interesting to see how this changes or develops as the show progresses. I am hoping for an ‘ahhh’ moment in episode 12.

The synchrionised fight with Sun / Capheus seems to suggest this synchronised movement on behalf of the individual sharing his/her ability and recipient. It’s one of the few scenes that really bugged me, because it just wouldn't work out as well as it did in reality. That spatial similarity of opponents seems a bit unlikely. I couldn't quite decide if the show was implying exact 'mirrored movements' or if the fights were separate and the cross cutting between the two was meant to be more metaphorical / illustrative of the sharing of knowledge / abilities.

Curious how others saw this?
                    Last edited by Ubik; 06-09-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

JMS answered that.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...23166355542017

sense8/// ok so i'm at the boxing/gang fight, is she doing two different things, the same thing in two places, or alternating between places

@awickedspell option two
                      Option two should be the bold right? As I read it the guy with the question provided 3 options and option two is "the same thing in two places".
                      My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
                        JMS answered that.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...23166355542017

Option two should be the bold right? As I read it the guy with the question provided 3 options and option two is "the same thing in two places".
                        Huh, that's a shame. I find that harder to buy into in terms of suspension of disbelief. I have no real problem with 'it works that way', but in this scenario I don't really feel the moves could land so perfectly in both scenarios like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
                          I started to come to appreciate this about the series - I am watching 8 different movies at once.
                          I haven't been thinking about it this way, but probably will to some extent from here on in.

What I started doing after watching the third episode was to try to figure out what sort of super-hero our group will wind up making if they all start exchanging skills and working together. Sun gets us a martial artist, Will gets us a police officer with gun and investigative skills, Wolfgang gets us a safecracker, Lito as an actor maybe gets us chameleon abilities?, Riley as a DJ can maybe control crowds?, Nomi as a vlogger maybe has strong communication skills?, and I'm pretty clueless about what Capheus and Kala bring to the table. Maybe this isn't where the show is headed at all, but it's my best guess so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NotSoWize View Post
                            I haven't been thinking about it this way, but probably will to some extent from here on in.

What I started doing after watching the third episode was to try to figure out what sort of super-hero our group will wind up making if they all start exchanging skills and working together. Sun gets us a martial artist, Will gets us a police officer with gun and investigative skills, Wolfgang gets us a safecracker, Lito as an actor maybe gets us chameleon abilities?, Riley as a DJ can maybe control crowds?, Nomi as a vlogger maybe has strong communication skills?, and I'm pretty clueless about what Capheus and Kala bring to the table. Maybe this isn't where the show is headed at all, but it's my best guess so far.
                            I think that's actually quite accurate, but there are some nice surprises along the way!
                            Last edited by Ubik; 06-15-2015, 04:23 AM.

Comment

I have to agree with Ubik. Yes, the final fight was great (even though I'm also not sure how it exactly worked, since the statement that she fought in two places at once seems to conctradict everything else that I've seen of how this connection works - and that already takes into account the entire season), but apart from that, this was a little too slow even for my taste. Not much seemed to be going on. And I really hated that they felt they had to remind us of Amanitas words in the previous episode. The fact that many are going to binge-watch this series notwithstanding, I hate it when a show thinks it has to talk down to its audience, and given the fact how much "Sense8" otherwise asks of its viewers, it's a strange contradiction. I also thought they were dragging the question of what exactly burdens Sun a little too long. And the dreams/visions of Sarah Patrell were one weird mystery too much in a series that already has an overbundance of open questions.

Overall, there was nothing much in the first half of the episode that caught my attention. It gets better near the end, and the action was very well shot (as I've come to expect from the Wachowskis) but having now seen the entire first season, I can say that this was my least favorite episode of the bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X