Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPOILERS - What we know (and how we know it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPOILERS - What we know (and how we know it)

Let's use this thread to gather all the information that we know for certain about the show, from basics to minutia - sort of a Sense8 primer. And let's be sure to document our sources for anything not the very most common knowledge.

We know that JMS and the Wachowskis came up with the idea and shopped it around in the early 00's but the time wasn't right. Then in 2012, they decided to try again and sold the show to Netflix who was the first company they pitched it to. (Source: JMS at Loscon 2014 among others)

Filming began in June of 2014 in San Francisco an continued on (in not necessarily chronological order) to Chicago, London, Berlin, Iceland (city?), Nairobe (city?), Seoul, Mumbai and Mexico City.

Who wants to pick this up with solid info on the actors and parts they're playing?

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Netflix snapped up Sense8 before they could shop it to anyone else

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Let's use this thread to gather all the information that we know for certain about the show, from basics to minutia - sort of a Sense8 primer. And let's be sure to document our sources for anything not the very most common knowledge.

We know that JMS and the Wachowskis came up with the idea and shopped it around in the early 00's but the time wasn't right. Then in 2012, they decided to try again and sold the show to Netflix who was the first company they pitched it to. (Source: JMS at Loscon 2014 among others)

Filming began in June of 2014 in San Francisco an continued on (in not necessarily chronological order) to Chicago, London, Berlin, Iceland (city?), Nairobe (city?), Seoul, Mumbai and Mexico City.

Who wants to pick this up with solid info on the actors and parts they're playing?

Jan
    This interview with JMS in Comic Book Resources documents of a lot of early info for Sense8, for instance, how Netflix picked up (snapped up) Sense8 before they got to their next meeting (at HBO):

"Our first meeting, at 10 a.m. on a Wednesday, was with Netflix. We thought the meeting went really well and went out to get a bite before moving on to the rest of the meetings, which were planned to occupy the next several days," the writer recalled. "But by noon Netflix had called to make a preemptive offer to buy the show and take it off the market with a straight-up deal to produce all 10 episodes. They were that excited by it."

The above interview is also the one where JMS describes meeting the Wachowskis when he was invited to the cast and crew screening of The Matrix Revolutions, and how afterwards Lana kept the WB suits waiting downstairs while she talked comics with Joe.

Here's a story where JMS specifically mentions their appointments on the day they were shopping Sense8 around to Netflix, HBO, etc.

"We wrote the first three scripts on our own," he says. "We specced it out, brought it to Netflix, and the funny thing is we had four days of pitches planned. Netflix was our first meeting at I think 11:00AM on a Tuesday, and then we were gonna go to HBO…." By 2:00, JMS said, Netflix had called and said they wanted the show.

SOURCE: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...tflixs-sense8/
    SOURCE: http://www.webpronews.com/netflixs-s...r-film-2013-09
    Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM.
    sigpic

sense8linked.com
    twitter/sense8linked
    facebook/sense8linked

boschwelliver.com
    sexynaveen.com

Comment

Cast/locations for Sense8

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Jan
      Okay, let's get this party started.

LOCATIONS (in filming order):
      San Francisco, Chicago/Gary Indiana, Nairobi (Kenya), London, Reykjavik (Iceland, also locations outside of Reykjavik), Seoul, Mexico City, and Mumbai (India)

This is the first of two (whole) pics of the eight together that we have at this point. Per JMS, it was when they arrived in Iceland (at the airport), and I am totally guessing this is the first time they were all together ... ahh! speculation. HAND SLAP.

CAST MEMBERS
      I have not yet documented my sources for the names of characters. To my knowledge there has not been any official release whatsoever of characters' names, or what location they are associated with, only from the actors' tweets or as reported in new stories (may be inaccurate/out of date).

Basically, I have picked the names up in lots of unofficial places, mostly tweets and Instagrams, plus a news article or two. I have also picked up what actors go with which location/episode in the same way, and also with guessing. Again, the problem (besides the obvious complete lack of confirmation) with guessing is that there have been changes to cast and locations over the course of the project.

That said, this is what I "have" so far, will advise as I get anything more official:

MAIN CAST in the order the episodes were filmed:
      Jamie Clayton is Nomi Marks in San Francisco "transgender American blogger"
      Brian J. Smith is Will Gorski in Chicago "cop"
      Aml Ameen is Capheus in Nairobi "African bus driver"
      xxxx? in London??
      Tuppence Middleton is Riley in Iceland "Icelandic party girl
      Doona Bae is Sun in Seoul "Korean Businesswoman with a past"
      Max Riemelt is Wolfgang in Berlin "German safecracker"
      Miguel Angel Silvestre is Lito in Mexico City "closeted telenovela hunk"
      Tina Desai is Kala in Mumbai "pharmaceutical company employee"

This is the other pic we have of the eight together, not sure of timeframe (also Iceland? hand slap). They are dressed as their characters. Brian is the cop, obviously. I love that Max is the German safecracker dressed all in black LOL.

I believe this scoop given to Michael Ausiello at TV Line is the first reported description of the characters:

"Among the regulars... are: a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the 'visionaries,' and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since The X-Files Cigarette-Smoking Man)."

The characters of the eight seem to have remained the same. Since then, the character of Jonas has been rewritten (perhaps related: there was a lot of net buzz/pushback on the "magical negro" trope), and/or the actor cast as Jonas is not of African descent. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the character of Jonas, the "good guy" trying to help the eight, is played by
      Naveen Andrews
      It's not difficult to verify this. (If you want to say, go for it!!) For some reason I'm not feeling being the person to reveal this.

OTHER MAIN CAST:
      Freema Agyeman is xxxx in San Francisco, Jamie's love interest
      Erendira Ibarra is Daniela in Mexico City, Lito's pretend girlfriend
      Alfonso "Poncho" Herrera is Hernando in Mexico City, Lito's true love
      Raul Mendez is Augustine in Mexico City, Daniela's jealous boyfriend/heavy
      Daryl Hannah is Angel in Chicago/Indiana
      Joey "Pants" Pantoliano is xxxx Gorski, Brian/Will Gorski's father

Per IMDb, Jamie Clayton appears in nine of the initially announced ten episodes of Sense8, whereas the others of the eight are listed in IMDb as appearing in three episodes (this info for Jamie has been revised a couple of times).

Geez that's enough for one post. I have a lot of information in my head (and I can't remember what I was doing two seconds ago). I have gathered quite a bit more info than I realized of course, plot elements, etc. Thank goodness I remember where I got most of it ("they" kindly store it for me on the internet for me if I remember where to find it). I can add more if folks are interested. I'm looking forward to seeing what others might have verified.

Peace out.
      Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-02-2015, 01:44 AM.
      sigpic

sense8linked.com
      twitter/sense8linked
      facebook/sense8linked

boschwelliver.com
      sexynaveen.com

Comment

Working...
      X