*SPOILERS* Sense8 - JMS & Wachowskis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *SPOILERS* Sense8 - JMS & Wachowskis

I wonder if this may be the same project that JMS mentioned working on with the Wachowskis a while back:

http://collider.com/wachowskis-tv-show-sense8/199594/

Filmmakers Andy and Lana Wachowski (or “The Wachowski Starship” as they affectionately called themselves at Fantastic Fest) are currently enjoying an overwhelmingly passionate response to recent festival screenings of their adaptation of Cloud Atlas, and now it looks like the Matrix helmers are looking to bring some of their magic to the television world. Variety reports that the Wachowskis are currently shopping a TV series called Sense8 to multiple outlets.
    ETA: Here's the Variety link: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060175

More JMS TV!
    Maybe...

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

This is pretty damn exciting if it comes off. I'm kinda assuming it will have an SF bent to it?

Rubs hands together and prays to the great maker it is so...
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Removed the 'rumor' part of the thread title. Found this on the Studio JMS Facebook page:

Originally posted by Studio JMS
      Unfortunately the article omits the reference to studio jms, but this is one of our first major projects. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060175
      ETA: This seems to confirm that it's the show we heard about a while back.

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
      We'd tried it before but the show was way ahead of the technology and the ambition of the networks; now at last we can do it.
      ETA Again: The Variety article has been revised to includ info about Studio JMS.

Jan
      Last edited by Jan; 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

If you have IMDbPro (I don't think you can see it otherwise), there's now a page for Sense8 with this description:

Genre
        Sci-Fi

Plot outline
        A group of people around the world are suddenly linked mentally, and must find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat to the world's order.
        Jan
        Last edited by Jan; 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Well, I'll be.

JMS doing an SF show again! This makes me ludicrously happy. Now the waiting begins.

Comment

Hugely looking forward to this.
            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Good news:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
              Sense8, the series developed by myself and the Wachowskis, has been picked up to series. I can't give specifics, but I can relay this from the website for Georgeville Television: "We are delighted that the new series æSense8Æ with the WachowskiÆs and Studio JMS has found a home. The deal is being papered right now, but suffice to say, this is another straight series order for Georgeville Television!" Site can be found here: http://motionpicturecapital.tumblr.com/
              Jan

Comment

That's awesome news. I hope they've found a good network. (Please be HBO....)

Comment

I wonder if we're going to see any Psicorp or telepath trilogy like things happening in Sens8? I don't know how much of the show will be him and how much will be wachowski's, but it should be pretty good, no matter what. Wonder if it will last?

TV shows are soo flukey nowadays, and JMS hasn't managed anything truly successful in sci fi tv since B5 (Jeremiah making it to two season was the closest, I believe)Not that any of that was his fault, it's the stupid network execs, and modern viewers inability to stick with a series. If it doesn''t blow their mind in the pilot they quit watching, and then of course the riddiculous and outdated neilsen ratings system doesn't help either. He's had tons of success in movies and comics though, so he prolly doesn't feel too bad!!!!!!! And maybe the Wachowski influence or name will somehow help to keep it on the air?

Have they ever done tv before? I only became aware of them through advertising of cloud atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
                    TV shows are soo flukey nowadays, and JMS hasn't managed anything truly successful in sci fi tv since B5 (Jeremiah making it to two season was the closest, I believe)
                    What am I missing? Since B5, there's been the Rangers pilot and Jeremiah, that's all. From what he's said, Jeremiah was such a horrid experience that he deliberately left TV for several years. The only other show that he was supposed to show-run was (iirc) the Masters of Science Fiction short series and that didn't happen due to a scheduling conflict.

As far as I know, the Wachowskis haven't done any TV before. As I recall, when they were shopping it around originally, everybody loved it but found it to be too different.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      What am I missing? Since B5, there's been the Rangers pilot and Jeremiah, that's all. From what he's said, Jeremiah was such a horrid experience that he deliberately left TV for several years. The only other show that he was supposed to show-run was (iirc) the Masters of Science Fiction short series and that didn't happen due to a scheduling conflict.

As far as I know, the Wachowskis haven't done any TV before. As I recall, when they were shopping it around originally, everybody loved it but found it to be too different.

Jan

Uh. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something?

Maybe what I said sounded like I thought he'd been doing a lot of tv? What I meant was after B5, Crusade got destroyed by tv execs, everyone hated the rangers pilot, and Jeremiah ended too early, so B5 was his last giant tv success, so I was hoping that Sens8 would be a big success like B5.

Different sounds very good!

Comment

Jeremiah didn't end early because of viewership. JMS left that show as fast as he could because of issues with the people he was making the show with/for.

Comment

I've heard the show production was a nightmare for him.

If he could have done it with nicer people, or by himself, if he wanted, I'm sure he could have fully ended it. And still he did pretty good anyway.

Maybe I shouldn"t have mentioned it?

Comment

I've heard the show production was a nightmare for him.

If he could have done it with nicer people, or by himself, if he wanted, I'm sure he could have fully ended it. And still he did pretty good anyway.
                            I definitely agree that Jeremiah, especially season two, is great TV. From what I gather, the issues were mainly with MGM, not with the team actually making the show. But when you've got people sending you the products of their 'casting couch' who can't act and people (same or different, I don't know) who go behind your back to your casting person to require 'cute' actresses whether they can act or not on top of a grueling production, who could blame JMS for running for his life.

I'd love to see a script book series about Jeremiah.

Jan

Comment

I only became aware of them through advertising of cloud atlas.
                              Delenn_of_Mir, do you mean... you've never seen a Wachowskis brothers movie?!? :gasp:

You're in for a treat!
                              The Matrix and V for Vendetta are my personal favorites of theirs.

How was Cloud Atlas?
                              From the promos, I would never have guessed it was one of their projects.

I am totally jazzed about Sense8.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              I'd love to see a script book series about Jeremiah.
                              [Kosh-voice] Yeeesss.
                              It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated...
                              - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Comment

Working...
                              X