Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Script Book 2.5 - and a coupon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by glindros View Post
    Jan, by no means were my comments an attack on you or the Scripts team.
    Never thought anybody was attacking anything, not to worry. And I apologize if I was prickly. In this case, it just would have been nice to see an 'Oh, goody!' before the 'Except that...'

    And no need to ever avoid a subject. You want to vent, vent away. Heck, I'd *love* to have the short stories reprinted. But when you have actual questions about why things are done the way they are, Captain Jaclyn is always the best person to ask. The one thing I absolutely know is that whatever's done is *always* going to be with the fan experience as the first consideration.

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Never thought anybody was attacking anything, not to worry. And I apologize if I was prickly. In this case, it just would have been nice to see an 'Oh, goody!' before the 'Except that...'

      Jan
      Jan, apologies here too if I came off as negative in any way. I just have to think long and hard about how I spend my cash these days. As a consumer, of any finished product, it's always going to be harder to judge its real monetary value when you don't know the ins and outs of what went into producing it. You're always looking at a book, and a cost... and it's inevitable that first impressions may be something along the lines of 'huh, that seems like a lot of money for a POD book'.

      The no questions asked money back guarantee does help a great deal, and I must say that the service from Jaclyn has always been nothing short of impeccable. All my questions were answered quickly and with the utmost professionalism.

      I'm VERY grateful this new content is available, and that the script team have put in the hours to put the product into our hands.

      So, yes, round of applause for all concerned...
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

      Kosh: Good!

      Comment


      • #33
        Thanks, Ubik. And I understand completely about watching the budget. It's only natural to look at the finished product and not give any thought to what goes into making it.

        Folks here who've been reading about the scripts project from the beginning know just how much of a cottage industry the B5 Books project really is...and seen how it's grown from just the plans to publish the scripts in the beginning. Instead of some faceless corporate drone doing things, with this project, folks know some of us and who's doing what. Captain Jaclyn (and JMS) for content and cool ideas (who else in showbiz has ever opened up their personal storage to be rumaged through?) and occasional cat-herding, Alyt Jason Davis for insightful analysis and editing and me for Archivist, Historian and Ombuds duties. Naturally there are plenty of others involved, too, from cover design to photo retouching to sound remastering to proofreading...and so on.

        Somebody posted to JMS' Facebook page recently asking if he'd ever write a book about the making of B5 and I look at my shelves and smile. Definitely a round of applause is merited for all of you who've bought the books and made it possible to complete such a detailed history of the making of the show!

        Jan
        Heavy into parentheticals today. Next you know, I'll be footnoting!
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Jan View Post
          Thanks, Ubik. And I understand completely about watching the budget. It's only natural to look at the finished product and not give any thought to what goes into making it.

          Folks here who've been reading about the scripts project from the beginning know just how much of a cottage industry the B5 Books project really is...and seen how it's grown from just the plans to publish the scripts in the beginning. Instead of some faceless corporate drone doing things, with this project, folks know some of us and who's doing what. Captain Jaclyn (and JMS) for content and cool ideas (who else in showbiz has ever opened up their personal storage to be rumaged through?) and occasional cat-herding, Alyt Jason Davis for insightful analysis and editing and me for Archivist, Historian and Ombuds duties. Naturally there are plenty of others involved, too, from cover design to photo retouching to sound remastering to proofreading...and so on.

          Somebody posted to JMS' Facebook page recently asking if he'd ever write a book about the making of B5 and I look at my shelves and smile. Definitely a round of applause is merited for all of you who've bought the books and made it possible to complete such a detailed history of the making of the show!

          Jan
          Heavy into parentheticals today. Next you know, I'll be footnoting!
          It's a shame I missed seeing that transition, and I sometimes lament that I came to the script books so late. Must have been a wonderful experience picking them up one by one as they emerged. Also, to be closely involved with the project must have been very rewarding.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

          Kosh: Good!

          Comment


          • #35
            FYI - CART0123 seems to have expired, but CART0127 works. Order placed!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
              Factor in the cost of producing the screencaps, cleaning up the audio and producing the CDs (which is likely to be up to another couple of $ each depending on how many they produce at a time), plus the cost of producing the bookmarks and postcards, plus the costs of the people who put the book together in the first place, and suddenly $39 doesn't seem quite so expensive.
              After the effort and expense of capturing these screenshots, It would be a nice surprise if the color versions of the B/W pages where made available on line.

              That was done with some of the artwork in Artifacts from Beyond the Rim, though none of the photos.
              Must be due to actors contracts and the rights to reproduce their images in limited forms

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Jan View Post

                Because a certain somebody knows that you guys are such loyal readers, I've been provided with a 20% off coupon code:

                cart0123
                cart0123 expired on Sunday, however cart0127 will work on the 28th, and cart0128 is supposed to expire on the 29th. Both are 20% off.

                Enjoy!

                Comment


                • #38
                  My copy arrived in today's mail. The screen caps look quite crisp. It looks like a nice package.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I think inserting some message saying to jump to time-code 4:36 would have been better than just silence in the place holder where the opening credits would be, but I can understand the decision. It is still disconcerting to have just silence.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by KoshN
                      My order arrived.
                      First impressions? (still waiting on mine!)
                      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                      Kosh: Good!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        And ordered... Cuz there's nothing better than waiting to the last minute.
                        Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Almost too late too, but I managed to order it!
                          Heroes never die. They're only replaced by younger actors.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Talking about the CD only here ...

                            First impression - Without Christopher Franke, this series would not have lasted two episodes. It was never so clear as when his music was absent, as it was here.

                            For all the great actors this series had, it sure had more than its share of lousy ones too. In this episode, there was that blond dome tech who had just the one line, and delivered it like she had suffered from week-long constipation, and was just now pushing that baby out. (you can't unhear that)

                            Gary McGurk ... was not at his best here. He gave some fine performances later, but here, oh, my. I'm glad they changed direction there and had the Hague character do the announcement instead. It makes sense from an in-universe perspective (why would the President make that call to a junior officer?) but also it just was better acting. I understand, when you're in a role like that, you are acting against nothing but a camera, and somebody reading somebody else's lines. It's gotta be difficult.

                            Bruce Boxleitner was at the beginning of his Captain Skippy phase here. So glad that didn't last long.

                            Claudia Christian has probably the best voice for audio - of the actors on this version. I'm also a fan of Big Finish audios, which do dramatic audio presentations for Doctor Who - think "books on tape" but written and performed specifically for the CD, with the original actors reprising their on-screen characters, and for the most part, written better (and certainly more consistantly) than they ever were on screen. Claudia has done one of the BF audios (as has Peter Jurasik). She's also done a few Anne Manx audios with Pat Tallman. She has a lovely voice for audio and could easily have a second career if she ever decides to give up acting on screen.

                            It was interesting hearing longer versions of dialog I knew so well. I didn't follow along with the book to see who was talking .. I may do that sometime.

                            It's mostly a curiosity, and an extremely expensive one at that. There are four sections. One is an introduction telling us about how it was found, and how there are earlier versions out there of this and other scripts (setting up for a volume 1.5?). Then the script, which I've only paged through ... when you open up the book, the right page is the script, while on the left side, we are told through one or two lines how it's changed from this version to the next.

                            That's followed by a section that has screen captures every few seconds or so and a brief caption to tell us where we are while listening to the cd.

                            There are two outlines, one for the Centauri Prime trilogy, the other for the Techno-Mage trilogy. Of the things in the book, they are the interesting part.

                            I'm thankful for the coupon. I cannot imagine spending 40 bucks plus shipping for it. It's already been discussed in this thread why others think that's a great value. I don't. With the prices of the b5books rising lately - going from 40 bucks for the early scriptbooks to 70 for the Echoes series (seriously? 70?), I'm finding it hard to justify those kinds of excessive prices.
                            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

                            The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                              I'm thankful for the coupon. I cannot imagine spending 40 bucks plus shipping for it. It's already been discussed in this thread why others think that's a great value. I don't. With the prices of the b5books rising lately - going from 40 bucks for the early scriptbooks to 70 for the Echoes series (seriously? 70?), I'm finding it hard to justify those kinds of excessive prices.
                              Quick reminder that if you want to have this kind of opinion heard by anybody making decisions, please write to Captain Jaclyn at
                              [email protected]

                              And you're not the only one with that opinion of the dome tech.

                              Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Message from Captain Jaclyn:

                                Dear Fans,

                                Just a friendly reminder that if you are unhappy with ANY of our books, we make it easy to return them. Remember we offer a 100% money-back guarantee and that includes the shipping costs both ways. You get every penny back.

                                For a return email us at [email protected] with your order number and we will handle the rest.

                                With respect to Volume 2.5 -- it might be helpful to know that this was one of the most expensive books for us to produce yet because of the 300 images, the required audio restoration and printing of the CDs that matched the restoration.

                                As you may suspect about 80% of a each release is sold during the "$10 off Debut Discount." This means folks are not paying $40, they are paying $29 or less because most use coupons as well. The price represents that least we can sell them and the highest value for the fans.

                                The B5 Books Team's salaries are paid for by J. Michael Straczynski personally so that fans get the best quality service. Our mandate is to make sure you are happy.

                                If you are not happy, then please let us know what we can do to make you smile.

                                Best regards,

                                Captain Jaclyn

                                P.S. The B5 Books Team will be at the Phoenix Comic-Con in May.

                                P.S.S. Volume 2.5 is NOT a trend. We swear.
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X