Crusade: What the Hell Happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
    Awfully expensive, for just voice work? Who knows what's involved though, certainly not me. If everybody were in LA, it'd be easier, but DDK's in Hawaii on H50v2.
    Location shouldn't really be an issue. As long as there's a recording studio and an internet connection, there's no reason everyone has to be in one place.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      Location shouldn't really be an issue. As long as there's a recording studio and an internet connection, there's no reason everyone has to be in one place.
      whaaa? that's just crazy talk.

hey pass me the soy sauce please

Comment

In theory, the recording itself shouldn't cost too much. Big Finish Productions in the UK produce excellent full-cast and 1-2 reader audiobooks/audioplays with very high production standards for shows including Doctor Who, Stargate, Blakes 7 and much more. In general they budget for one day for one disc of material (c.60-70 minutes), and this often takes less time than expected. Thus they only have to employ the actors for that day, and possibly pay them a percentage of sales. Obviously there is then lots of technical work to do (sound effects, mastering, music, etc), but that only requires technical people, who I guess cost less than actors in most cases.

Since a Crusade episode is 42-45 minutes, both could in theory be recorded in just two days total.

If all the actors can't be together at any one time, that doesn't matter. Big Finish often structure recordings so that people stand in for certain actors, who then record their lines on other days. Big Finish have also used skype-esque technology in some cases, including for Stargate audios where, e.g. Michael Shanks and Claudia Black recorded his scenes separately, in the USA, to the remainder of the cast who were in the UK.

This is incredibly exciting news though. Anyone have any ideas what B5-20 may be?
        Last edited by Just-A-Guy; 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM. Reason: Amending silly typing errors

Comment

Originally posted by Just-A-Guy View Post
          Anyone have any ideas what B5-20 may be?
          Massive.

Jan
          (whistling innocently...)
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Tease

So, how to bribe you to reveal details...

What do you want?

Comment

Tease

So, how to bribe you to reveal details...

What do you want?
              "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now."

Jan
              Last edited by Jan; 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM.
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

In theory, the recording itself shouldn't cost too much. Big Finish Productions in the UK produce excellent full-cast and 1-2 reader audiobooks/audioplays with very high production standards for shows including Doctor Who, Stargate, Blakes 7 and much more. In general they budget for one day for one disc of material (c.60-70 minutes), and this often takes less time than expected. Thus they only have to employ the actors for that day, and possibly pay them a percentage of sales. Obviously there is then lots of technical work to do (sound effects, mastering, music, etc), but that only requires technical people, who I guess cost less than actors in most cases.

Since a Crusade episode is 42-45 minutes, both could in theory be recorded in just two days total.

If all the actors can't be together at any one time, that doesn't matter. Big Finish often structure recordings so that people stand in for certain actors, who then record their lines on other days. Big Finish have also used skype-esque technology in some cases, including for Stargate audios where, e.g. Michael Shanks and Claudia Black recorded his scenes separately, in the USA, to the remainder of the cast who were in the UK.
                My point exactly. Modern recording technology is such that I could produce a convincing audio drama in my front room. Costs should be relatively low for this type of production. Big Finish is a prime example of how well it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  Massive.

Jan
                  (whistling innocently...)

As in... really really thick? Will it double as a doorstop?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                    Will it double as a doorstop?
                    "You would plan such a thing? You would do such a thing?"

"I'm shocked. Shocked and dismayed."

(Really, one can find an appropriate B5 quote for just about everything, can't one?)

Jan

Comment

I'm just excited that it is looking as if there are at least 3 more "What the hell happened" volumes on the way.
                      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Really, one can find an appropriate B5 quote for just about everything, can't one?

Jan
                        I would say so!

Oh, I asked Joe about the possibility of further audio dramas via his FB page. No response as yet...

Comment

Originally posted by nottenst View Post
                          Remember that with voice work there is a lot less time invested by the actors. There is no make-up. They might just be able to do their piece in one reading and that's it.

For TV an episode usually took an actor's time for most of a week and long hours.
                          Plus, they can read from a script in front of them.
                          Mac Breck (KoshN)
                          ------------------
                          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by just-a-guy View Post
                            tease :d

so, how to bribe you to reveal details...

What do you want?
                            Never ask that question.
                            Last edited by KoshN; 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM. Reason: Put it in all CAPS, dammit!
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                              Never ask that question.
                              *Goes and hides in the shadows*...

Comment

19 March 2013

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?, Volume 2 is planned for release after the re-launch of B5books.com.

J. Michael Straczynski, being painfully aware of the lag in the CRUSADE book release schedule, is putting together a "thank you for your patience" bonus that makes it worth the wait: he's producing his two unfilmed CRUSADE episodes as audio dramas with "voices the fans are familiar with." The audio drama episodes are "To the Ends of the Earth" and "The End of the Line".

Since neither of these unproduced scripts are in Volume 2, one CD will be included FREE with Volume 3 of WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? and the other CD FREE with Volume 4.
                                So, it's now March 2015. Almost two years later… I am beginning to wonder if these books or audio dramas will ever happen? JMS seems to be block booked with TV, comics and film work. Truth be told, I’d happily settle for just the audio dramas!

Comment

Working...
                                X