No announcement yet.

Echoes of All Our Conversations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrggghhh. Just got the B5 20 email, which also contained a reminder that the Echoes series won't be around much longer. I had kinda sworn off buying these, but feel the temptation growing as the clock ticks down.

The completist in me is deeply conficted. If I didn't already own Vol.1 and 3., it'd be so much easier to ignore them!

Just wish they throw us a bone, coupon code or otherwise. (and my apologies if I sound like a broken record here...).

Sigh...
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• I hear you.....

That is why I always tried to avoid the books. I knew my completist mentality would always force me to purchase everything they released.

Because I don't buy the books, like I should, I haven't really been reading too closely what is going on with the end of their relationship with Cafe Press. As I understand it, B5 Books is going out on their own as of the end of this month. Does that mean the prices will drop? I am debating on whether or not I should purchase Crusade WTHH Vol. 1 now or wait until they have their own site? I'll be honest, I wouldn't even bother if not for the audio dramas, which I hope are still on the table?
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• It's my understanding that Crusade: WTTH books are an exception to the end-date with CafePress. So Book #1 will still be available and the remaining three volumes will be published through there after that, along with the audio dramas. The audio dramas are a "thank-you" for having to wait so so long for the books to come.

Comment

• How amazing/not are the Echoes books?

I bought the first one, but have not even opened it yet. I'm currently about halfway through a re-watch using the script books and am enjoying them quite a bit, but mostly because of JMS' intros as the scripts don't generally differ all that much from the produced episodes.

If the echoes books were less expensive, I'd probably give in and buy them, but I'm finding it tough to justify $400 on the rest of the series.

All of that leads to my question - those of you who have the series, how much do you enjoy the books? How do they compare to the script books if you have both?

Thanks for any light you all can shed on this!

Comment

• Funny you should post just then, NotSoWize.

I was talking to Captain Jaclyn this afternoon and she told me that I could post a note to y'all that if you're still thinking of getting these, you can email her at [email protected] and she'll give you a private coupon code.

My opinion may be seen as biased, but I liked them a lot. Not often that we really get to see other points of view than JMS'.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• The Echoes books are pretty good. The interviews are very candid and give you a detailed insight into the production process. My favourite part of the script books has always been JMS' in depth introductions. The Echoes books offer more of that, but from different perspectives. It really depends what your interests are, but perhaps pick out the books featuring your favourite actors / characters to begin with.

Looney, it is my hope that the departure from Cafe Press may make any subsequent books more affordable (working on more of a small press model), or at the very least that we get higher production values on the books for similar prices. I personally think the B5 20 book offers better value for money (at the intro price only though) than most of what we've seen so far. Obviously, I'll have to see it with my own eyes to fully evaluate it, but I do think the production values look great and are closer to what I'd expect for this kind of book.

It's my feeling that the Cafe Press model is now less cost effective than it may once have been. If a book can shift sufficient numbers, it's generally worth doing a limited run as opposed to POD. This assumption is based on close friends who have published work to a small but enthusiastic fan base. A cartoonist friend of mine (by no means a big name, but well thought of in the underground) self published a 228 page, 9x9 inch, full colour softcover graphic novel, printed to high quality glossy paper for $25 per unit (retail price). It turned out absolutely gorgeous.

Not knowing the number of units that B5 Books shift it's hard to say if a similar feat would be achievable, but I suspect the same economies of scale would apply. Obviously my friend had no wages to pay for a team doing archrival work, or licensing costs, but it does give an indication of what’s possible.

I don't know how many books the script team have left to do. From the last email update, I got the impression it was one more (ignoring the Crusade books), so I'll be intrigued to see what that is and how it's produced. I almost wish all the remaining Crusade books could be done outside of Cafe Press, because it might allow a marked improvement in the presentation. But that wouldn't really work, as they wouldn't match up as a set. Anyhow, just thinking out loud here, and I definitely don’t have all the facts!

In short, yes, I like the Echoes books and yes, even though they are (in my opinion) expensive for what they are. I'd encourage people to contact Jaclyn if you want them but need a bit of help doing it. One thing I will say for the B5 Books team is that the customer service has been second to none. They clearly care a great deal about the fans and the books.
              Last edited by Ubik; 05-16-2013, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for that info, Jan and your thoughts, Ubik.

I can feel myself getting sucked into yet another big B5 buying binge!

Comment

• I finally got around to listening to the Echoes Vol. 3 audio CD, and it's a great interview. No real revelations as such, but it was nice to hear everyone talk shop in such a casual relaxed setting. As I think someone's already mentioned, Jerry Doyle can tend to dominate proceedings a bit, but he has a flare for telling stories, and relating things. It's really no surprise that he ended up in radio.

There are one or two points on the disc where there's so much clatter, and cross talk that it's hard to discern anything that's being said... but this is a very minor (unavoidable) flaw that does nothing to diminish the rest.

On the whole, it's a very worthy companion to the book. I for one loved hearing Andreas Katsulas talk, he's very eloquent, and a lot of that comes through in his portrayal of G'Kar.
                  Last edited by Ubik; 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Well Captain Jaclyn has come through and I will own the whole series soon. The discount was pretty good for someone like me who needs several books, but would probably be even better if you are only missing one or two (that actually does make sense).

Comment

• Originally posted by NotSoWize View Post
                      Well Captain Jaclyn has come through and I will own the whole series soon. The discount was pretty good for someone like me who needs several books, but would probably be even better if you are only missing one or two (that actually does make sense).
                      Same for me, she was massively helpful!

Comment

• Seven Hours Left!!!

Comment

• Message from Captain Jaclyn:

To Make Up for the Friday Server Issues, ECHOES Will Remain Available through the Weekend
                          (fans always seem to overload the systems, don't they?)

Don't forget coupon code ann0521 for $15 off orders of $50 or more.

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotSoWize View Post
                            Thanks for that info, Jan and your thoughts, Ubik.

I can feel myself getting sucked into yet another big B5 buying binge!
                            I just was, ordered 3, 4, 5. 6 and the Companion volume. Coupon code got me $15 off (total), but still over $300.
                            Last edited by KoshN; 06-01-2013, 06:27 AM. Reason: changed tense
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

• Ouch!

Some day I am going to need to move in with one of you and read all of these books. We'll work out some rental agreement where I pay like $1 a month to read the books. (I am starting low. Somebody come back with a counter offer . . . Oh yeah, my room and board is going to need to be free. LOL . . . Seriously people, who has all of the books and is looking to adopt a 38 year old male?)
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
                                Some day I am going to need to move in with one of you and read all of these books. We'll work out some rental agreement where I pay like $1 a month to read the books. (I am starting low. Somebody come back with a counter offer . . . Oh yeah, my room and board is going to need to be free. LOL . . . Seriously people, who has all of the books and is looking to adopt a 38 year old male?)
                                Other than Jan, I don't know anybody who owns ALL of the books. I will own all of the Crusade books and the Echoes books, but I only have five of the B5 Scriptbooks. Unfortunately, they came out during hard times (for me), and I just couldn't afford 'em. [shrug]
                                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                                ------------------
                                Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                                JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                                Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Working...
                                X