No announcement yet.

Echoes of All Our Conversations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was pretty impressed with Marshall Teague's interview.
    His role as Ta'Lon didn't sound like much of a stretch for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post

Harlan Ellison was supposed to be story editor on Crusade! More depression is setting in about how TNT treated that show...

More comments later as I read more...
      Man, the more I read about Crusade, the more I wish it had been comissioned by a network that allowed Joe creative freedom. It could, and no doubt would have been good given room to be itself. Shame Sci-Fi channel didn't have the budget to pick it up at the time.

This is perhaps a bit of an odd comparison, and maybe something for another thread.... but it's a similar thing. Joss Whedon's Dollhouse (which was patchy at best, with occasional glimmers of greatness) would have been an entirely different show if the network had not called for so many changes. Watching the original unaired pilot is an eye opener, as it's much darker, and sells the concept in a believable way. It also sets up a more interesting (potential arcs) for the characters, that were thrown out of the window for low brow action 'mission of the week' episodes.

The re-shot / re-scripted pilot that actually aired opened with a high speed motorbike sequence and a plot that made no sense at all. 'Your daughter has been kindnaped... so you're hiring a mind wiped 'doll' who seems slightly mentally unbalanced. Riggghhhhht.The network didn't understand what the show was meant to be.

Same with Crusade (90210) Sigh...
      Last edited by Ubik; 10-26-2012, 12:54 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Peter Jurasik's post-Babylon 5 interview was interesting; he says Richard Compton really helped him get the Londo character down. Good to see some positive comments about him. I read Mike Vejar's interview too; he mentioned having more creative freedom on Bablyon 5 than on Star Trek. Interesting stuff! Only been sporadically reading a few interviews here and there as my family was in town over the weekend.

Comment

• JoeD, I found a lot of the post-B5 interviews very interesting, because A) some of the cast and crew were able to speak with some degree of ojectivity, and B) there's always that little bit of extra honesty when you're not worried about pissing off the people you're working with. At the same time, those interviews were all done so soon after the series that people's memories hadn't had a chance to cloud up yet, which of course is the problem you would get if you talked to most people today. Quite honestly, I've not been all that interested in doing any 'retrospective' interviews in the last couple of years, because I think I've asked everything I could already as you can see if you read all six of the B5 books plus the Crusade book.

Comment

• Definitely enjoying these interviews Joe. Thank you for making them all available! They paint a fairly complete picture of the day-to-day production of it all. I've learned more in these books than I have in searching through a lot of online archives.

Just read Steve Burg's post-season five interview and took a look at his original concept art for the characters. Very cool stuff.

Comment

• The echos books are well worth the investment - so much good content.

Bruce Boxleitner's final say in Vol. 6 was the most disconcerting comments I read. As the lead it's understandable that he would be so affected by the way things panned-out at the conclusion of the series and I'm glad he expressed his thoughts on the matter.

That was a good cast (and crew).

Comment

• Dave, I think one of benefits (and sometimes consequences) of being able to talk to people at a time of great emotion is you tend to get a more emotional response, and when it's an actor you're speaking to, the conversation can be even more dramatic. I remember talking to one of the actors on Red Dwarf following season six, where he basicaly said he was so unhappy that he wasn't coming back. After that interview ran, the producers didn't forgive me for years- as though I put the words in their actor's mouth. In the case of B5, there weren't as many of those emotionally-charged moments, but if you've read the books now, you can pretty much see where they took place. Bill Mumy for example, wasn't afraid to make his feelings known after his character's final appearance, although you've also been able to see the John Copeland response, so I was able to give you both sides of that story. With Bruce, he was never really angry about not being involved post-B5, just upset about not being involved. I think he genuinely believed he would be coming back in some capacity, and when he finally realized he wasn't, there was that great feeling of disappointment and I just happened to be there when he wanted to talk it out. What you can't see in that conversation was the very real disappointment on his face as we sat out back in the building, Bruce sitting between my wife and I, as she tried to cheer him up a bit. And yes, there are probably a few comments that never made it to the page, but that's where my responsibility as a journalist comes in. If somebody says something in the heat of the moment, they may regret it later on when it sees in print, so it's always a juggling act.

Comment

• I broke down and now all the volumes are on route. Looks like B5 is taking over another shelf.

Comment

• Man have I got some catching up to do, Echoes of All Our Conversations Volumes 3 thru 7!
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                    JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                    Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

• Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                      Man have I got some catching up to do, Echoes of All Our Conversations Volumes 3 thru 7!
                      There's a coupon code in the ALERT thread, Mac. Not for publication, just for us chickens.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        There's a coupon code in the ALERT thread, Mac. Not for publication, just for us chickens.

Jan
                        Unfortunately, it expires before payday (2/21). I'm having to pay one bill 6 days late as it is.
                        Last edited by KoshN; 02-14-2013, 03:14 AM.
                        Mac Breck (KoshN)
                        ------------------
                        Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

• Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                          Unfortunately, it expires before payday (2/21). I'm having to pay one bill 6 days late as it is.
                          Worry not, the current code has already expired.... BUT CART0214 works. You can generally just add one to the numberical part of this code after it's expired to get the next valid one. So just keep adding one until it workds.

There are also occasionally some $15 off codes floating around if you're willing to spend some quality time with google.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                            Worry not, the current code has already expired.... BUT CART0214 works. You can generally just add one to the numberical part of this code after it's expired to get the next valid one. So just keep adding one until it workds.

There are also occasionally some $15 off codes floating around if you're willing to spend some quality time with google.
                            After 2/21, I'll be looking for whatever codes I can dig up.
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

• So I finally picked up volume one and started reading it.

I'm fascinated, it's re-ignited my interest in the series and makes me want to buy the other three volumes, I'm waiting for a cafÚ press code so I can purchase volumes 4,5 and 6.

One rather amusing observation, in the initial Jerry Doyle interview he refernces a show he was on prior to B5, however, given that it was JErry, I read the title, in my own head as the bald and the beautiful

Phaze
                              on the "Hey, I thought it was funny, may bring some of the books for additional signature to PHX with me" ID
                              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

• Originally posted by phazedout View Post
                                So I finally picked up volume one and started reading it.

I'm fascinated, it's re-ignited my interest in the series and makes me want to buy the other three volumes, I'm waiting for a café press code so I can purchase volumes 4,5 and 6.
                                I really enjoyed the Vol. 1 and 3 that I have. If you come up with any good discount codes, please post them here. I've pretty much written off getting the rest of this series due the cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X