No announcement yet.

Echoes of All Our Conversations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the first time I've reviewed the offerings of these books. They look like something I'd want to buy, but the prices are way too high. Living in this economy, the funds must go to staying alive first and foremost.

What drives the pricing on them?
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
      What drives the pricing on them?
      Not my area of knowledge but I know that POD is pretty expensive in the first place and that they've had to have a pro work on the recordings that went on the CDs to clear up the sound. Also, adding the three extras is something that CP isn't generally geared for so I'm sure there are extra costs involved in not only creating them but in making sure that they all get in the shrink wrap. It all adds up, I'm sure. Maybe Captain Jaclyn could shed more light on it at [email protected] if you're curious.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Don't forget that each book is signed by a B5 cast member.

Comment

• Ordered - and on the way to me . . .
          Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

• POD is pretty expensive in the first place
            That's understood, given that anything not mass-produced would have a higher cost, but it seems that there would be a way to accumulate orders and efficiently schedule production runs.

they've had to have a pro work on the recordings that went on the CDs to clear up the sound.
            I don't have any idea what the cost of that would be, but those should be one-time costs, so unless the sound guy had a wildly exorbitant fee the cost of which was spread out over the estimated number of units sold, I am not sure how strong of a driver that would be.

Don't forget that each book is signed by a B5 cast member.
            I am a huge sports fan. I think it would be cool to get a Bo Jackson's John Hancock on a piece of memorabilia. I'd wait in line an hour or so to get it. But I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it. Autographs are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. As much of a fond feeling I have for Babylon 5, the books would be worth a certain cost with or without the signatures.

Maybe I will zero in on a few of the volumes that most interest me and try them out.
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I'd wait in line an hour or so to get it. But I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it. Autographs are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. As much of a fond feeling I have for Babylon 5, the books would be worth a certain cost with or without the signatures.
              Just because you wouldn't personally pay a lot doesn't mean it holds true for other fans.

Comment

• That's pretty much what I just said, Joe.

Comment

...the books would be worth a certain cost with or without the signatures.
                  Cost to you. But the original question was about the pricing. Obviously everybody needs to assess their own desires and circumstances as to whether it's worth it to them personally.

Jan
                  (emarassed to have forgotten the autographs when listing book pricing considerations )
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• To put the pricing into some kind of context.

I used Cafepress to produce a song book of my own stuff a couple of years ago, and for just shy of 100 pages, spiral bound (a cheaper option than the perfect bound B5 books), the cost price (i.e. without any mark up from me) was just under ú10, arrived at based on how many pages there were.

With that in mind, given the size (page count) of the books and the fact that Publishing 180 is presumably a commercial enterprise who need to mark up the books in order make them profitable, the pricing doesn't strike me as out of th2 ordinary especially with the input of a professional sound engineer to clean up the audio.

Yes, that is a one-off cost, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was cheap. With audio production/editting you really do get what you pay for a lot of the time.
                    The Optimist: The glass is half full
                    The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                    The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• I must admit the pricing did seem a bit steep to me too. Hence I’ve ordered one volume to see what I think. Given the massively generous returns policy, it was a no brainer.

I think the issue may be that when assessing the cost, most of us will be comparing the price point to other self published books, not POD books. For example a cartoonist friend of mine published a glossy, full colour 228 page graphic novel for a $25 price point. It was professionally bound and was printed to the same standard as any quality graphic novel you’d find in your local book store.

The difference in cost, I suspect, lies in using a POD service like Cafepress. It’s always going to work out more expensive than having a limited run of 500-1000 copies produced by a printing house. You get economies of scale, but also the risk of left over copies you can’t sell. With this being a fairly niche product POD makes total sense, and mitigates the financial risk of forking out for a print run. These books are clearly a labour of love, and I find it unlikely the script team would artificially inflate the price.

As for the audio work, I would be surprised if it was a significant cost. Cleaning up audio is relatively straight forward these days. Although, not having heard the source files it’s hard to assess how much work it may have needed. I record and mix bands as a hobby to a professional level, so have a good insight into the whole process. Gone are the days when you need to go to a professional recording studio to get good results.

I'll only be able to assess the ‘value for money’ when my copy of Volume 3 arrives. Definitely curious to see it.
                      Last edited by Ubik; 10-24-2012, 01:21 AM.
                      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                        I think the issue may be that when assessing the cost, most of us will be comparing the price point to other self published books, not POD books. For example a cartoonist friend of mine published a glossy, full colour 228 page graphic novel for a $25 price point. It was professionally bound and was printed to the same standard as any quality graphic novel youÆd find in your local book store.

The difference in cost, I suspect, lies in using a POD service like Cafepress. ItÆs always going to work out more expensive than having a limited run of 500-1000 copies produced by a printing house. You get economies of scale, but also the risk of left over copies you canÆt sell. With this being a fairly niche product POD makes total sense, and mitigates the financial risk of forking out for a print run. These books are clearly a labour of love, and I find it unlikely the script team would artificially inflate the price.
                        Absolutely, same when my band makes a CD. If we felt selling 1,000 copies was a realistic target, it is significantly cheaper per copy to produce 1,000 than 500 which is in turn much cheaper than producing 250 and so on.

Production on demand, copy by copy, is expensive.
                        The Optimist: The glass is half full
                        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• Garibaldi’s Hair, just noted you’re in Hull in the UK. Nice to see a fellow Brit on the forums! Seems like us B5 fans are a rare breed over here, or at least it feels that way sometimes.

I don’t know how many units a typical B5 book will shift per volume, but demand would have to be fairly high to justify doing a self published print run. It would definitely drive down costs, but only if sufficient demand is there in the first place.
                          Last edited by Ubik; 10-25-2012, 12:08 AM.
                          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• I might have missed it, but why weren't there any interviews with the Crusade cast included in these volumes? There was one with Peter Woodward, but that was about Lost Tales, and the group audio with Carrie Dobro included with volume 6, but that seems to be it.

Are there plans for a Crusade-Echoes follow-up?
                            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

• All the Crusade-related interviews were published two years ago in Crusade: Behind the Scenes.

Comment

• Skimmed through a few interviews and the production timeline. Interesting points that I didn't know before -

Stephen Furst and Bill Mumy were victims of the season five budget cuts and had their contracts go from 22 to 7 episodes. Joe had lamented in the script books that he never really got to do all his plans for Vir. I wonder what would have been?

I thought Bill Mumy's comments were interesting about his betrayal of Sheridan. He thought Lennier should go in an even darker direction and become a true enemy of the Alliance instead of what did happen.

Harlan Ellison was supposed to be story editor on Crusade! More depression is setting in about how TNT treated that show...

There's a lot of stuff about Michael O'Hare spread throughout the interviews that is fascinating. The actor who played Garibaldi's Aide was his dialogue coach that other people have mentioned here and there. It sounded like PTEN would keep telling him to play Sinclair one way and then say that was wrong and to play it another way. Must have been frustrating.

More comments later as I read more...

Comment

Working...
                                X