Echoes of All Our Conversations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
    There have been issues in the past where CP used a too-generic customs declaration and people did get hit with (iirc) VAT taxes but I haven't heard of any instances of that for a long time now.
    Yup, I was one of those (with around volume 3 or 4 of the original script books) ... hit with both VAT and a customs charge. That was a long time ago, though, and one occasion out of the 25 (ish) books I have bought from B5Books via Cafepress.

However, IF such a thing should happen, a quick email to [email protected] will have Captain Jaclyn and her elves leap to make it right. Seriously, they will.
    Yes they did.

I'm certain that CP wouldn't declare it as a gift or declare a lower amount but my understanding is that most of the additional fees or taxes were avoidable as long as they declared the contents as being books. Hopefully somebody with direct experience can chime in here.
    Spot on. Books are not subject to VAT or custom charges here in the UK, so as long as CP declare them as such (which is, after all, what they are) there isn't a problem.

The earlier issues were caused by them being labelled as "Gift".

Seriously ... apart from those early teething troubles, I cannot fault the service offered by Cafepress or the B5Books team (thanks Jaclyn), so just go for it.
    The Optimist: The glass is half full
    The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
    The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
      The earlier issues were caused by them being labelled as "Gift".
      Wasn't it that they were labled as something along the lines of 'apparel' or 'ceramics' or something? I know it would fit with the majority of their stuff but not the Print on Demand stuff.

And I'll be sure to pass your kind words to Captain Jaclyn.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

(Puts on her B5 Books Team hat - much more becoming than the Moderator hat, believe me!)

If I was trying to decide, what I'd do is look at the 'grid' of which books feature which people and pick one based on your favorite actors/characters/crewpeople.

There have been issues in the past where CP used a too-generic customs declaration and people did get hit with (iirc) VAT taxes but I haven't heard of any instances of that for a long time now.

However, IF such a thing should happen, a quick email to [email protected] will have Captain Jaclyn and her elves leap to make it right. Seriously, they will.

Cafe Press does all the fulfillment. A good thing, since they get *much* better shipping rates than anything the Team would be able to offer.

Hope this is helpful,
        Jan
        Thanks Jan, massively helpful. I'm sure your B5 Books Team Hat is very fetching!

I'll have a good browse through the various volumes and weigh up what looks most interesting in relation to my own particular tastes. I really loved Peter Jurasik's work on the show, as well as Andreas Katsulas. Both total powerhouses in terms of acting ability and the vitality they brought to their characters.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• I wish somebody could come up with paintball ammo that when it hits something (e.g. the back window of a passing, self-absorbed, idiotic, skill-less driver's car) would spell out "ARROGANCE and STUPIDITY all in the same package." <evil grin>
          Last edited by KoshN; 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM. Reason: replaced self-indulged with self-absorbed
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

• Originally posted by KoshN View Post
            I wish somebody could come up with paintball ammo that when it hits something (e.g. the back window of a passing, self-indulged, idiotic, skill-less driver's car) would spell out "ARROGANCE and STUPIDITY all in the same package." <evil grin>
            Has it been one of THOSE days?

The full quote would make a good bumper sticker, just to let other drivers know what you think of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              Are you kidding? EVERY day is one of those days!
              "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

The full quote would make a good bumper sticker, just to let other drivers know what you think of them.
                That might get your car keyed.

You have NO IDEA how many of that type I see on the road, usually sporting Michigan, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia or Ohio plates.
                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                ------------------
                Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

• Originally posted by omahastar View Post
                  are you kidding? Every day is one of those days!
                  High Five!!!
                  Last edited by KoshN; 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: this thing keeps lowercasing my all caps! Grrrr!
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

• Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                    Are you kidding? EVERY day is one of those days!
                    My day always improves greatly the minute I leave the office.

Comment

• Note from the editor to Ubik

If you're only getting one Echoes book to get the flavour of the series, I'd recommend Volume 3.

The interviewees were very comfortable with Joe Nazzaro (the interviewer). All the interviews were from seasons three and four, so the series was at its best. It also has at least one interview with most of the regular cast (except Bruce Boxleitner and Pat Tallman).

Just my 1.24 pence (adjusted for today's exchange rate).

Comment

• Thanks Jason, that made things easier.

Eek! Echoes Volume 3 ordered!

I've been getting emails about B5 books for years, so it's an odd feeling to have finally pulled the trigger on one. I managed to get $13 off the order using the coupon code CART1015.

Interestingly, it looks like you can just incrementally add one to an older CART code, the expiry dates got more recent as I increased the value, until I hit 1015 which hadn't yet expired. May be useful for others if it continues to apply.

Must admit, I almost ordered Crusade - What the Hell Happened Vol 1. That looks a good substantial read. Crusade felt like it had so much potential. If I like what I see in Echoes Vol. 3, I'll definitely be back for more. Expect some feedback when I receive the book.

God, it's so weird how the B5 bug has returned with a vengeance. All it took was one re-watch! Plus, it's a nice little community here. You've all been great to chat with.

Comment

God, it's so weird how the B5 bug has returned with a vengeance. All it took was one re-watch! Plus, it's a nice little community here. You've all been great to chat with.
                          Glad you joined us.

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• order on its way woo-hoo!

Comment

Wasn't it that they were labled as something along the lines of 'apparel' or 'ceramics' or something? I know it would fit with the majority of their stuff but not the Print on Demand stuff.

And I'll be sure to pass your kind words to Captain Jaclyn.

Jan
                              Mine was definitely "Gift" ... and I remember it well, because Cafepress' explanation was that it was their generic description for everything that wasn't ceramics or apparel or anything else that had a specific label.
                              The Optimist: The glass is half full
                              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• Oh, shiny. CART1016 still works today, 20% off.
                                "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X