No announcement yet.

Harlan Ellison Books from Publishing 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, I was counting the four White Wolf/Edgeworks books as the second attempt at a uniform hardback collection of Ellison, though they were definitely the first when it came to widely available editions.

Borderlands Press (who did the limited release of City on the Edge of Forever) managed two volumes of the ELEVEN they advertised in their limited edition (500 copies each) "Harlan Ellison Uniform Collection" a few years before White Wolf entered the Ellisonian arena.

Both attempts yielded beautiful books, but neither put a dent in the back catalogue. Lacking a complete set of the Ace mass markets you mention, I'm not sure how many of those made it into print, but I think Pyramid's 1970s run of eleven mass market Ellison titles (with the gorgeous Dillon covers) must be the most comprehensive collection of his works prior to the current e-reads editions on Amazon today (in most cases, I believe the e-reads versions are reproductions of earlier editions, usually the Pyramids where applicable).

As for interviewing Harlan, you are a better man than I, Joe. During my brief journalistic career, I attempted it once and never even made it to the first question before I was sent packing. I've seen Harlan at least once a month since work started on the Brain Movies books, but I still regret never having done a formal interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
      it breaks my heart that there is an entire generation of SF readers that have not been exposed to his work.
      Me too. One of the greats, and you would think he never existed while browsing a bookstore today.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
        Me too. One of the greats, and you would think he never existed while browsing a bookstore today.
        Alas, I can't say that Brain Movies will remedy the absence of Harlan on bookstore shelves (what bookstores remain, I hasten to add), but--as with the e-reads editions of the back catalog available on Amazon and the Voice from the Edge anthologies from Audible--it'll keep the work available so folks like us can recommend him to readers we meet.

Comment

A pity we on continental Europe are excluded from buying the e-books. That is very frustrating... no access whatsoever to most english e-books.
          I'd gladly buy them, but no one lets me.
          Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
          John Sheridan

Comment

I didn't see this addressed in the thread, but I might have missed it ...

There has got to be a reason for the specific URL. If this was just a one-shot, why call it harlanbookS.com? Why not harlanbook.com? (though I see that's registered too)

Makes me think there's at least another book in the pipeline from Uncle Harlan.
            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Not sure what's in the works but I'm sure there's plenty of Harlan stuff that could be published or even re-published.

Jason, do you have any info that can be shared?

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                Makes me think there's at least another book in the pipeline from Uncle Harlan.
                Yes. There are more.

Comment

I have both the City script book and the I, Robot book. They are both quite fascinating, so I am highly interested in this new offering,

Comment

Okay, the page is up for fans to sign up for the email notices when the book (books) become available. You'll need to *open* the confirmation email in order for the registration to be completed. www.harlanbooks.com

If you're already on the B5 books email list, no need to register again.

Jan
                    Last edited by Jan; 07-14-2011, 03:32 AM.
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

The book becomes available on July 31st... just when I'm off on holiday.
                      Do you know if there is a possibility to reserve a copy beforehand?
                      John Sheridan

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it'll be out before the 31st, DeMonk. The sign-up page doesn't have the firm date, just a goal date.

The way I understand how it's going to happen is that the dual-autographed special edition will be released first and the non-autographed edition will come after.

Jan

Comment

I hope so, I'd like an autographed edition.
                          John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by JasonDavis View Post
                            Yes. There are more.
                            Excuse me for a moment while go off and do a little happy dance...
                            Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Brain Movies Volume One is now on sale at HarlanBooks.com. Spread the word!

Comment

Now I can go on holiday without a worry...
                                John Sheridan

Comment

Working...
                                X