Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nottenst
    replied
    I finally caught up to this podcast last night and am about halfway through right now (I try to listen to these in the car). Lots of great information. It was nice to hear the background to the project.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonDavis View Post
    I discovered Joe's work through the marketing brilliance of Mattel.

Later, I watched both The Real Ghostbusters
    At least in the case of The Real Ghostubusters, jms just ignored the toy company and did what made sense for the story.

Leave a comment:

• JasonDavis
    replied
    I discovered Joe's work through the marketing brilliance of Mattel. When I was quite young, I watched He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and often felt that the stories on that program were superior to similar toy-lead enterprises. Later, I watched both The Real Ghostbusters and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, still completely unaware of the ongoing thread of JMS.

When B5 premiered, I watched the pilot, but lost interest after the second commercial break for reasons I won't go into here. I tried again with "Revelations" but found the story a bit convoluted by that point. This is something of an irony given that the next episode I watched -- "War Without End Part 1" completely hooked me for life, so obviously the convolution of the former episode turned out to be a flimsy excuse, in retrospect.

Incidentally, Harlan Ellison's frequent mentions of both Joe and B5 as well as the badgering of a lovely editor named David Michael Wharton are responsible for me giving the show so many tries until I perceived the genius before me.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    So Jason, what can you tell us about how you discovered B5 and JMS's work?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• JasonDavis
    replied
    Thanks for the welcome, Jan. This place will provide a nice JMS-flavored environment to visit while I work on varied and sundry projects over the next several months.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    By the way, folks, I just noticed that one of our new members here on the Forums is the mysterious Jason whom Jaclyn mentioned on the podcast. Welcome aboard Jason!! C'mon in, the posting's fine!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Boo Gee
    replied
    ah ha. gracias!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo Gee View Post
    Which novels b these? Also, was there a date given for the Crusade scripts?
    JMS's three novels are 'Tribulations', 'Demon Night' and 'Othersyde'. No date for the Crusade Book(s) but they will be coming.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Boo Gee
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
    I almost got in trouble for listening to the interview at work. When I heard that the JMS novels were going to be re-released, I yelled out "freakin' sweet".
    Which novels b these? Also, was there a date given for the Crusade scripts?

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    I almost got in trouble for listening to the interview at work. When I heard that the JMS novels were going to be re-released, I yelled out "freakin' sweet".

I just wish there was a method to obtaining them from the Joe Store when released, since the only payment options are with a credit card.

Leave a comment:

• timk519
    replied
    A few highlights from the podcast:

Jaclyn didn't quite connect the dots on the implications of JMS wanting to publish his scripts and the kind of sales that would follow.

Jan's voice sounds good.

Jaclyn named Jan her "muse".

"It's all about the fans."

It took JMS 3 weeks to sign all the title pages for vol 15.

There's a group of "Babylon 5" knitters!

JMS's writing made the fact-checkers job for one volume very difficult because they kept reading the script rather than checking the facts.

Jaclyn (while reviewing the series): "Whenever I had a question, I'd just pause the DVD and call Joe."

Number 1 question is: "When will the Crusade Scripts come out?"

The Joe Store will be coming back with a "blow-out" sale, and is something "very different" than what the fans have seen so far.

Jaclyn's personally answered > 11K emails so far.

B5 fans have never "taken advantage" of the Scripts team's customer service.

These are only a few of the points of interest - it's a good podcast, and well worth the time to listen to.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    drinking any Zima is too much Zima

Originally posted by glindros View Post
    I think Omaha has been drinking too much Zima.

(Back on topic)
    Please drink Zima responsibly. It is not a renewable resource.
    The babyon podcast where the interview happened does renew every week.
    I would claim that drinking any Zima is too much Zima.

Dan Dassow

Leave a comment:

• glindros
    replied
    I think Omaha has been drinking too much Zima.

(Back on topic)
    Please drink Zima responsibly. It is not a renewable resource.
    The babyon podcast where the interview happened does renew every week.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Puzzled, Omaha...just puzzled. I mean...oh, well. Thanks for the compliment. I think.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• OmahaStar
    replied
    Originally posted by glindros View Post
    Omaha at least they edited out all the points, Jacyln and Jan said not to talk about. Still a very satisfying interview.
    I was giving Jan props for having a very schmexy voice. Rawr.

Right now, she's either laughing hysterically, or nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Either way, I'm lol'ing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X