Bonus Book #15 - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nottenst View Post
    What a shocker. Now what was the ending that JMS original saw in the shower? Was it just the image of B5 exploding?
    I thought his shower epiphany was combining the big war & small station stories; I think he mentioned that in the first script book. I think in a post somewhere here (can't find it currently) jms mentions that it was the station blowing up he always saw as the last scene.

Comment

This is from an interview I did with JMS a few years back. I think it answers your question:

"The problem with most SF series in general is theyÆre either the man on the run going to different places, or searching for something; those are the two major paradigms in SF. Either one involves going from place to place, so why not create a place where the stories would come to you? The most logical choice, I felt, was a space station of some kind, so that was the storyline I was developing on the economical feasibility track.
      On the other track over- IÆm usually running nine or ten tracks at the same time and working on different things, which means I get derailed a lot- was this notion about doing a big, no borders kind of huge saga that would across many years and have a whole lot of different characters and different worlds, which I thought was a different show, because the requirements of something like that were huge, I thought, as opposed to this little space station story. It wasnÆt until I was in the shower one day, which is where I have my best thoughts, that the two stories collided in my head and I said, æNo, you idiot, itÆs the same story!Æ"

Comment

I loved how so many of the story ideas from the pitch made it into the storyline.
        What a wonderful world you live in. -
        Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

The same but not the same

Reading the 5 year arc with Sinclair was very satisfying. I've got to say that I liked the filmed version better. My biggest frustration now is I want JMS to talk about how he got from Point A (the starting arc) to Point B (the finished arc). A lot of similar stories but a few major changes. Well worth the time and money invested in the 14 books.

Comment

Originally posted by jwj170104 View Post
            Reading the 5 year arc with Sinclair was very satisfying. I've got to say that I liked the filmed version better.
            I would agree overall. The one thing that made more sense in the original arc is the resolution of Babylon Squared. There were a few things we saw in WWE that just didn't seem to fit right and now we know why.
            My biggest frustration now is I want JMS to talk about how he got from Point A (the starting arc) to Point B (the finished arc). A lot of similar stories but a few major changes. Well worth the time and money invested in the 14 books.
            It would have been nice to see some of those in between arcs and the decisions to increase the pace of the story. Also, more details about all the trap doors that he had set up for replacing characters would be interesting.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
              I think in a post somewhere here (can't find it currently) jms mentions that it was the station blowing up he always saw as the last scene.
              I found it. This is what jms said he always envisioned as the last scene:

jms 11/26/1998:

It was the station blowing up, and the shuttle leaving, and the coda, and the sunrise.

Comment

I found it.
                That sounds familiar. Massively different context for that scene between what we saw and what was in his original arc (which was closer to what was implied by Lady Ladira's vision in Signs and Portents).

Neil

Comment

...I've got to say that I liked the filmed version better....
                  I got mine today, and I started reading right away. I like the filmed version better too.

I know the thread title indicates this is a thread inclusive of spoilers, but just to be extra protective, I'll put my thoughts in spoiler tags.

Wow, what a read that writeup was. It's a wee bit hard for me to accept that the original plan now revealed wasn't for Sinclair to become Valen and that the foundation of the Vorlon-Shadow conflict didn't seem quite so equally-weighted philosophically between the two. Also, the Soul Hunter's comment to Sinclair, "they're using you," makes more sense in the memo's story.

Comment

Hit reply...not going to read the posts...not...going...to...read...the...posts..... ggaaaahhh...
                    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I found it. This is what jms said he always envisioned as the last scene:

jms 11/26/1998: It was the station blowing up, and the shuttle leaving, and the coda, and the sunrise.

That was my Question and Joes answer!!!! I never believed him on that point, as I could not see how that would make someone look at him like he had three heads and feathers.

Has anyone seen this site: http://www.webcs.com/b5/neverwas.html and if so how does it compare with the original intended arc concept? I have not gotten the books yet, hopefully today. and the 1st part I'm reading is the original arc idea.
                      All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
                        That was my Question and Joes answer!!!! I never believed him on that point, as I could not see how that would make someone look at him like he had three heads and feathers.
                        I'm thinking they looked at him that way because they were thinking of all the production costs of making that happen, and thinking "you want us to do that with HOW LOW of a budget?"
                        Last edited by JoeD80; 05-01-2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
                          Has anyone seen this site: http://www.webcs.com/b5/neverwas.html and if so how does it compare with the original intended arc concept?
                          It's not even close. To say more would spoil it for you but what happened when I read it for the first time was that I got lulled and was thinking "Okay, yeah, there are some differences but not that .... say WHAT?! Suddenly it wasn't familiar at *all*.

You'll see.

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

OK, my favorite line from Volume #15:

Jan Schroeder is insane.

Comment

I just shuffled through it and I second JoeD80. Made me laugh out loud.
                              It's easy to find something worth dying for. Do you have something worth living for?
                              Rule TwentyNine (Blog about B5, politics, environment and much more)

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
                                I got mine today, and I started reading right away. I like the filmed version better too.

I know the thread title indicates this is a thread inclusive of spoilers, but just to be extra protective, I'll put my thoughts in spoiler tags.
                                Do, does someone want to actually spoil this thing or are you all going to just give tantalising hints? Tsk.

Comment

Working...
                                X