Script books via Amazon POD -Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that escalated fast.

Excuse me whilst I go buy some $250 script books...
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      Excuse me whilst I go buy some $250 script books...
      NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! It might be a scam!!! Please! Don't do it!!!

(Hopefully that'll reassure Tom that I'm doing as he thinks I should be)

"As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Quit right too. Seeing how the books are STILL for sale. B5Books might need to consider hiring some better attorneys (cough).

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
          Quit right too. Seeing how the books are STILL for sale. B5Books might need to consider hiring some better attorneys (cough).
          So you know what the usual time is for takedowns now, Tom? Can I see your source for myself? I like to make sure I have an educated opinion and I've never dealt with Amazon's DCMA department.
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

So you know what the usual time is for takedowns now, Tom? Can I see your source for myself? I like to make sure I have an educated opinion and I've never dealt with Amazon's DCMA department.
            No I don’t and neither do you. So lets think about that for a sec . . . what does that mean?. . . Oh yeah, your thoughts/idea/opinion about how long it might/should take is no more valid or invalid than mine as we’re both in the same boat . . . Just at different ends. You at one end being a very active and long standing advocate for B5Books (as a former employee of theirs), me at the other . . . as just a fan with no current or former connections with them. I’m happy enough with that situation. . I hope you are to.
            Last edited by Triple F; 09-01-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

No I don’t and neither do you. So lets think about that for a sec . . . what does that mean?. . . Oh yeah, your thoughts/idea/opinion about how long it might/should take is no more valid or invalid than mine as we’re both in the same boat . . . Just at different ends.
              You misunderstand...again. I have NO opinion as to how long it's likely to take while you obviously do. That's why I *asked for information* that it seemed you had and I didn't.

Comment

Since the last post on here, jms has left a message on facebook about (you can’t make this up, given what was touched on earlier) unlicensed T-Shirts.

https://www.facebook.com/officialjms...8848?__tn__=-R
                Came across a SciFi Fans page here on facebook selling polo shirts with a shadow vessel silhouette over the words "What do you want?" So I posted a comment, saying that since they were using an image they didn't create, a line they didn't write, and a show they didn't license, surely they would want to donate 20% of what they make to the actors on the show, which is what any proper SciFi Fan would do. They then blocked me. I can't imagine why. Maybe folks would want to ask them.
                And B5Books have released a newsletter letting folks know that “Amazon” are discounting the B5 Encyclopaedia for 48 hours – down to $41 - while helpfully pointing out that some folks purchase them as an investment as others are selling them for $279 on ebay .. . . . . Oh I’ve just had an idea to make an easy grand, I’ll buy twenty B5 Encyclopaedias at $48 and and Oh ffs.

. . . . . . Still no word, or update, on who is/was authorising the POD script books appearing on Amazon at $240 though!
                Last edited by Triple F; 09-18-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

. . . . . . Still no word, or update, on who is/was authorising the POD script books appearing on Amazon at $240 though!
                  I don't understand why you think it's anybody's business except the ones involved? Why would fans be entitled to that sort of thing? My, you're certainly curious about other people's business, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

I don't understand why you think it's anybody's business except the ones involved? Why would fans be entitled to that sort of thing? My, you're certainly curious about other people's business, aren't you?
                    I know JMS is aware and as Jaclyn said, it is definitely being investigated. Make no mistake, these are very well produced fakes.

I agree with Triple F that a short note to fans warning them not to buy these would be useful just in case people with cash to splash get caught out, rather than using it as a marketing tool.

Comment

Sorry if this seems like harping on about the same sort of thing. But I was just sent a link showing (what I'm guessing) is a newsletter or whatnot to those fans who have signed up to the B5Books mailing list. Basically, yet another shipment of material has been found/returned/picked up from storage, and this time it's a hardcover copy of the 15th script book. . . and it's being sold for $245.00 - the number they have is not mentioned but just like, POD from amazon for example, B5Books are now offering free worldwide delivery. . . . That price was picked because (according to B5Books) that's the average price "private" collectors have been selling the soft cover version on places like Ebay. Amazing. Can only imagine how much this hardcover one will be when its time to start selling them on ebay, after the special real fans have had a chance at this exclusive offer.

So as mentioned earlier, these alleged costly sales by others are being used as a selling point to fans in order to justify two hundred and forty odd bucks for a book which they say they received from café press around 10 years ago. . . . . BTW. Was it ever revealed who was selling those 200 whatever it was buck script books on Amazon.

https://b5books.com/hardcover-volume...DBqY34CaVsOqhk
                      Last edited by Triple F; 02-13-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

This is starting to rub me the wrong way also... im not sure who gets the money from these free books being sold for $245, but the cost and the above thread just makes me a bit sad. Is printing a bunch of limited run books in a more expensive format for free a common practice at publishers? The whole thing just seems odd for a multitude of reasons listed above and in other threads about how these scripts/collectable things have been released over the years.
                        Milkman
                        www.mhoc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Milkman View Post
                          This is starting to rub me the wrong way also... im not sure who gets the money from these free books being sold for $245, but the cost and the above thread just makes me a bit sad. Is printing a bunch of limited run books in a more expensive format for free a common practice at publishers? The whole thing just seems odd for a multitude of reasons listed above and in other threads about how these scripts/collectable things have been released over the years.
                          I never noticed that, but it does seem you could be correct, these books are indeed being described as basically a gift by cafe press to B5Books to "celebrate" the original limited release of the 15th script book. . . . I suppose them being in storage for 10 years gets round the promise that they would never be printed again . . . Cough. Sorry, I freely admit I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to B5Books track record, but I do wonder how far believability can be stretched even for the (mainly) hardcore fans these are being aimed at.

CafePress, our printer 10 years ago, had a case of these HARDCOVER editions printed as a congratulations for the end of that first series and as part of a test they ran to consider offering hardcovers for all titles

Comment

Originally posted by Milkman View Post
                            Sounds like total nonsense to me. I can't imagine any POD company gifting a box of hardcovers without it being commissioned. If it was for proofing purposes, there'd be one copy, and that'd be it. The price is INSANE. The last eBay auction for a Vol 15 in the UK was £45. So around $58. A company should not be basing prices on a secondary collectors market. Marvel doesn't charge $100 for a reprint of a rare comic because of its price on the secondary market!

Perhaps I am being a bit cynical here, but most of these 'found' boxes seem far too convenient to me and it goes completely against the POD model. The worst part of me half suspected that in all cases they are new printings fulfilled by Amazon's POD service or Cafe Press.

I'm through with overpriced books whose unit cost is definitely far far lower than what fans are being charged. I accept a company has to make profit on their products, but I l know plenty of indie comics creators who self publish very plush graphic novels with far higher productions values, and a smaller audience than the B5 fandom, at a far lower cover price.

I am also so very done with the FOMO hard sell tactics, 'never to be printed again' nonsense, when this clearly isn't the case, using the most tenuous of loopholes to justify reprints. Count me out for now.

I mean, I have my full set of script books, it doesn't affect me. But, for newer fans, this is just daylight robbery and its insulting to the fan base.
                            Last edited by Ubik; 02-14-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                              I mean, I have my full set of script books, it doesn't affect me. But, for newer fans, this is just daylight robbery and its insulting to the fan base.
                              What's perhaps most unfortunate is that B5Books are ONLY the box shifters for the script books. . . . They were published (and are owned) by JMS via his Synthetic Worlds company - including the free 15th volume. So unless Publishing 180/B5Books have gone rogue, this hardcover do-da was released with his approval. Wouldn't be out there otherwise.

Comment

What's perhaps most unfortunate is that B5Books are ONLY the box shifters for the script books. . . . They were published (and are owned) by JMS via his Synthetic Worlds company - including the free 15th volume. So unless Publishing 180/B5Books have gone rogue, this hardcover do-da was released with his approval. Wouldn't be out there otherwise.
                                B5 books is not and never has been owned by JMS.

Comment

Working...
                                X