X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan
    • Oct 2003

Script Book # 4 - SPOILERS

Just getting ready. After all, if you've got your book already, do please let us know how you managed it. C'mon, you can trust us to keep a secret...

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.
  • DeMonk
    Confirmed User
    • Sep 2005

Do you think at CafÚpress they are ready for the onslaught tomorrow?
    After all, they've had quite a while to prepare now.
    It's still on for tomorrow is it?
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
    John Sheridan

Comment

• Jan
      • Oct 2003

The 11th. Saturday. I don't think they've given us a time yet so we'll have to watch for the email alerts.

EDIT: The time's been posted now:
      Available Saturday,
      February 11th at 10am PST
      Jan
      Last edited by Jan; 02-09-2006, 07:52 AM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Radhil
        Part-Time Dreamer
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jan
        Just getting ready. After all, if you've got your book already, do please let us know how you managed it. C'mon, you can trust us to keep a secret...

Jan
        I trained a crack team of rabid monkey ninjas in stealth and infiltration and sent them after a pre-print copy. Only one came back, beat and cut to all hell, muttering something about enourmous bundles of lethal fur. The Great Maker protects his works well.
        Radhil Trebors
        Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Jan
          • Oct 2003

I knew he'd have Buddy trained by now!

Jan

Comment

• Jan
            • Oct 2003

Got my book yesterday morning and gulped down the introductions and script fragment last night. As usual, there were a fair number of places where I laughed out loud but this seemed a more personal memoir this time. We hear about JMS's stage fright when he first started doing conventions and how he could accept fan's coming to see him at conventions only by reflecting that it was all about the story, not about him.

At this particular time, it's poignant how much JMS talks about Richard Biggs in this volume. How JMS wished that he'd been more like Richard at cons and interracted with the fans more. His stunned amazement at how much Richard had loved the role on B5 and had told his entire familiy about everything that happened. The story of Richard's funeral is in the intro for "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum".

I'm definitely going to have to sit down and watch 'And Now For a Word' and 'Comes the Inquisitor' with the script and intros in front of me soon. And, no, I'm not going to tell you all about JMS's theory of who Jack the Ripper really was, if only because I couldn't without typing the entire item from the book.

I've said it before, I love the stories behind the stories. I'm really glad these books are coming out.

Jan

Comment

• white_star25
              Confirmed User
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jan
              At this particular time, it's poignant how much JMS talks about Richard Biggs in this volume. How JMS wished that he'd been more like Richard at cons and interracted with the fans more.
              I got my Volume 4 today (woo hoo, fast delivery to Greece!) and I was brought to tears by JMS's in memoriam to Richard Biggs. And it's even more poignant now that Andreas Katsulas is also gone. I'm preparing myself for major sobbing in the next volumes...

I haven't read the Volume in much detail yet, but what I glanced at is really wonderful! Thank you, JMS!

What a sad thing you are! Unable to answer even such a simple question without falling back on references and genealogies and what other people call you! Have you nothing of your own? Nothing to stand on that is not provided, defined, delineated, stamped, sanctioned, numbered and approved by others? How can you be expected to fight for someone else, when you haven't the fairest idea who you are?

"Comes The Inquisitor"

Comment

• Night Marshal
                Confirmed User
                • Nov 2004

honestly I think this is my favorite volume to date. very personally. alot of it is intangable.
                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

• DeMonk
                  Confirmed User
                  • Sep 2005

Police state

On page 27 Joe says: This brings us closer to the image of EarthGov as a growing police state, which is essential for the decision in season FOUR to break away from Earth once and for all.
                  So now I'm confused: they break away in "Severed dreams" which is in season THREE.
                  What does he mean?
                  Or is it Zathras at work again?
                  Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
                  John Sheridan

Comment

• Jan
                    • Oct 2003

Simple. Sometimes JMS makes mistakes.

Edit: Man, I shouldn't post at work some days-that came out really curt, sorry.

Every once in a while JMS does make rather glaring errors, though and most of them seem to have to do with numbers. Like when he referred to Coriana 7 in the commentary for 'Sleeping in Light' when it was actually Coriana 6. As he's said, math not Joethras' skill.

Jan
                    Last edited by Jan; 02-28-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• SLerman
                      Confirmed User
                      • Nov 2005

There's also the whole east/west thing in Comes the Inquisitor.

So am I the only one that actually kinda likes Festival? As JMS has said, good scripts can die on the stage, and mediocre scripts can work beautifully, but based solely on the script, I think it could have turned out to be a really interesting episode. I'm a little annoyed at JMS, though; for all he said about revealing information about Mr. Jones, he revealed just enough to not really explain anything, but made me want to know the rest of the story. I think we should chain JMS to his computer and make him write out all of these unfinished stories.

Comment

• Jan
                        • Oct 2003

I kind of liked 'Festival' but, and keep in mind I've only read it once so far, my impression was that it was just getting too convoluted. I'm sure it could have been fixed but I don't think JMS really said why he left if behind, did he? I guess he just decided on a different path.

Originally posted by SLerman
                        I think we should chain JMS to his computer and make him write out all of these unfinished stories.
                        Do let us know how that works out for you.

I'm really enjoying the whole 'it's all about the process' thing he's got going here. The fact that he's able to explain what was going through his mind so many years later is pretty cool, imo.

Jan

Comment

• AstroBoy
                          Not the one
                          • Mar 2006

Hunter Prey Intro Error

I noticed another gaffe in the intro to the 1st vol 4 Episode hunter Prey....

Joethras screws up the president's name. It should read Clark, not Santiago. After all Santiago is an ex-president at this time and is unable to do anything. That Rat Bas**** Clark on the other hand......
                          All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

• phazedout
                            Confirmed User
                            • Aug 2005

Hey there,
                            I know I'm a lot behind but I just read JMS's memorial to richard Biggs in volume 4 (slowly getting through them).
                            I was touched. I chocked up when I read about the funeral scene.
                            Phaze
                            on the "In memory still bright, for all those we've lost" ID
                            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Working...
                            X