Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    I don't really know that it was ever explained. To me, it's all metaphorical.

"I am Grey. I stand between the Candle and the Star." To at least some Minbari, the candle flame reminds them of individual life. They also believe that we are 'made of starstuff', part of the universe trying to figure itself out. So it's a reminder that each individual is part of the greater whole with the ability and obligation to influence, to serve, that whole.

"We are Grey. We stand between the Darkness and the Light." That's the purpose of the Grey Council-to stand between the castes and lead the Minbari to the 'light' of mutual cooperation and away from the 'darkness' of civil war.

Anyway, it sounds weighty and powerful and intense and ritualistic...and cool. Not bad for four short sentences, huh?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    I am gray?

I never understood the "I am gray" quote. Can someone enlighten me what is truly meant here?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Damon Griffin
    Needn't be on a black shirt, but "I am grey" would be nice, or possibly "I am grey. I stand between the candle and the star."
    There are now several "I am Grey" items available. Check out: I am Grey Quote

And on the subject of the free shirt, JMS wrote:

> No black t-shirts yet, though. Did any of the suggestions go over well?

A little later. They're stil working at doing large numbers of these
    things, and I don't want to push the process until I know it'll go
    right.

As for the suggestions...I'll have to go back over my notes, but it was
    the one who first suggested using the core B5 questions: who are you,
    what do you want, where are you going, why are you here? Seemed
    perfect for a shirt, particularly if you're meeting someone for the
    first time.
    Thing is, in scanning the suggestions, that's not completely clear. A couple of people suggested the first two questions and I suggested the Crusade questions, not the B5 ones.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Damon Griffin
    replied
    New quotes

Needn't be on a black shirt, but "I am grey" would be nice, or possibly "I am grey. I stand between the candle and the star."

The omega symbol on a black shirt would be good.

"We live for the One, we die for the One", or the full quote "I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no-one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One."

Someone else suggested "...arrogance and stupidity..how efficient", always one of my favorites.

Too bad my favorite Ivanova quote is so long:

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth... I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Leave a comment:

• James13666
    replied
    Surely there can be only one quote

The quote which should have been added from the start has to be " Understanding is a three edged sword, your side, their side & the truth". Funny when I heard it in series three, I forgot that it had appeared in series one, I heard it mentioned in one of the very early episodes.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    There are lots of different newsreaders, possibly one specific to your own ISP but in the FAQ there's a link for you to use Google Groups for free. You have to use an actual email address and the first several posts are generally slow but that's the only place JMS hangs out.

HTH,
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• ednemo
    replied
    How do I post there?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Hi, ednemo! Those are good ones. I think the 'vacant look' one would work best for the non-fans who'd see it, too.

Don't forget to post them on the moderated newsgroup, though, if you want to be enterred for the shirt.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• ednemo
    replied
    "Ahhh... arrogance and stupidity in the same package. How very efficient of you"

"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the universe. It hates me, you know"

"You have that vacant look in your eyes that says, 'Hold my head to your ear and you will hear the sea' "

"If I'm going to have delusions, I may as well go for the really satisfying ones"

Leave a comment:

• Milkman
    replied
    Wow.. this got off topic quick... Um how to respond... Yes you smell nice Jan?

Sent in my 2 quote ideas not yet taken yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    HEY! I'll have you know that I've never *once* molested a script-I don't care what "Moments of Transition" tried to tell you! Hrmph. It's about obsession, not sex. And aren't those both fragrances?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• OmahaStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Your list showed up. I wondered if someone should explain that Jane is to you as Andreas is to Amy or as scripts are to me.

Jan
    I doubt it ... There's nothing sexual about Jane for me. The same cannot be said of Andreas/Amy ... or you and the scripts.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by OmahaStar
    I don't remember how. I've got some google access somewhere, but that was two computers ago ... yikeses!
    Your list showed up. I wondered if someone should explain that Jane is to you as Andreas is to Amy or as scripts are to me.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Originally posted by ZenoParadoxus
    Well, if it is a black shirt the obvious one is:

The Corps is Mother,
    The Corps is Father.

and on the back

Be Seeing You!

obviously in The Prisoner font (a variant of Albertus).
    I'll buy that for a dollar (sorry for the Robocop moment).

Originally posted by ZenoParadoxus
    But much more fun would be:

My father went to Z'ha'dum and died
    and all I got was this lousy T-shirt
    (and this dumb Centauri jug)

Zeno
    Too cool!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    LOL! I absolutely love that second one but it's not a quote from a JMS script...yet, at least.

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X