The ordering experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OmahaStar
    ... including the firing of every person responsible for screwing up my orders.
    Hate to tell you this, but that doesn't happen in the real world. Customers demanding that get humored, then ridiculed after the phone call's over.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan
      Hate to tell you this, but that doesn't happen in the real world. Customers demanding that get humored, then ridiculed after the phone call's over.

Jan
      It depends on how badly they screwed up ... I have fired people who worked for me, for less offensive mistakes when customers complained.
      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

• For your rude CS person, maybe. For order-fillers making a mistake, if they got fired for a first offense, even a second one, the company'd be paying out the nose for unemployment compensation.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• And here we go again. Again. Whoever delivered the packages from CP to UPS apparently gave them to the wrong people, because instead of actually shipping out from Oakland Ca on the 6th, they were found on a loading dock 15 hours after they were supposed to be shipped out.

They were shipped out then at 7:35 pm on the 7th, then hit bad weather "somewhere" and my package will, maybe, in theory, possibly, be delivered tomorrow or maybe sometime next week, they aren't sure.

All they can tell me is UPS has it somewhere.

Comment

• Hmmm .. I just got my book .. 1 book. Ordered 2. Like they did with Jan, Cafe Press left one of mine out.

Also, look at the top right of the packing slip they send. It's a true "eye opener". There are dates and times of key happenings. Mine shows it went to "Prod(uction):" on 11/28/2005 04:59 and was "Printed:" 11/28/2005 at 05:02. Yet it wasn't shipped until I called them on 12/05/2005. Maybe I shouldn't jump to conclusions, and maybe those dates don't mean what I think they mean!

Comment

• We don't have any way of knowing so I'd suggest not jumping to conclusions with not enough data. Mine says something similar but considering that I had several quote items, too, my guess is that the packing slip was printed after two minutes, certainly not the book. If your slip looks like mine, it sure passed through lots of hands judging from the red number stamps. My CS rep last night had me read all of those to him so it at least appears that they're trying to track down where errors happen.

'Scuse, me...I'm going to rant a little bit here, okay? And it doesn't really have anything to do with Nacho's post, except as a jumping off point. I keep seeing post after post with some of the most ridiculous, almost paranoid, nonsense.

Case in point: One post I read elsewhere was claiming that the UPS tracking system was lying to him because the tracking said that there was a weather delay to his shipment but that he'd checked the weather where the package was and the weather was fine. Hello???? Is it even slightly possible that that person didn't realize that most of UPS's packages move by air and that adverse weather causes delays of flights all over the country? Apparently, because this person seemed to think that somebody deliberately enterred incorrect information instead of realizing that it's all automated, too. Even scarier was the post immediately following that one going on about how the Internet makes it easy to check on such lies.

From the very beginning of this, people have had entirely wrong perceptions of print-on-demand publishing. They keep drawing the most negative possible conclusions about businesses that they have no knowledge of.

If the Internet is good for anything, it's good for making it easy for us to know every little error CP has made and draw erroneous conclusions. We're NOT their only customers, it IS the holiday season, which means there ARE a lot of seasonal employees working who may or may not have had good training.

So let's all take a deep breath and chill out okay? At this time of year, neither CP nor UPS has time to worry about lying to the customers. I've got one book to read, the other was just going on the shelf for now so no harm done as far as I'm concerned.

Jan

Comment

• Calm down people!
                I'm happy, 'cause I got scripts vol. 2 only in 5 days (compare that with 2 weeks AND 5 days for vol. 1). I want to pass part of my happiness to you

Comment

• Trying my patience

I'm in the publishing industry (we have two $250k printers in our warehouse to do our own POD work) and I also know in detail how UPS works. I've been very patient with CafePress since I know exactly what it is like to get orders in a burst like the B5 books.

That being said, I think there is something wrong with CafePress's handling of the situation. I placed my order for Vol 2 at 11/26/2005 6:27:27 PM PST (so very shortly after the window). I chose the "Super Saver" shipping because I know that I am 45 minutes from the UPS mid-atlantic distribution center, and it is rare that it takes even 5 days even from the west coast.

I waited patiently until Dec. 5, then called CafePress's toll free number. I was told my book had been printed/packed and was already on the dock waiting to go out (so I couldn't be given upgraded shipping, though the nice, polite young man did credit my original shipping).

I checked today, and the UPS tracking had not changed from the initial scan (which is done by CafePress not UPS) and nothing showed after Dec 5 at 10:34pm. So I called UPS and they confirmed that they had no other scans of the box (not a good sign, as UPS scans the boxes at each step of the way). UPS said I had to call the shipper and have a trace initiated, since the box was past it's due date. So I called CafePress again. This time I was greeted by a not quite so nice, but still trying to be polite young woman, who informed me that CP policy was that a box shipped by that method was not late until 5-6 business days had elapsed, and she couldn't do anything for me until the 13th.

I'm writing this all up here, so I have it to send to both CafePress (through their annoying web feedback) as well as to the B5 scripts people. I am willing to grant CafePress an enormous amount of slack because it is a) crunch time before Christmas, and b) they didn't know what they bit off when the agreed to handle these books. But I think they have some serious deficiencies that need to be corrected, and soon.

Zeno
                  No matter where you go, you're only halfway there...

BB of Elias

Comment

• I do very much say that those who've experienced trouble with things do (POLITELY, mind you!) use the feedback form on the B5 Scripts website and let them know what's happened to you (provide as much detail as you can, just for records' sake). If Cafe Press has something screwy going on, the folks of the B5 Scripts team are our best advocates for getting it corrected.

Comment

• Originally posted by vacantlook
                      If Cafe Press has something screwy going on, the folks of the B5 Scripts team are our best advocates for getting it corrected.
                      Done and done. Jaclyn got back to me right away and confirmed what I wrote as being largely correct. CP did preprint vol 2 (and it was gone in mere hours) and they are preprinting even more for Vol 3. She also said that CP took three weeks to catch up to the load on Vol 1 and only 1 week for Vol 2.

All in all, it would appear that Vol 3 will be a much smoother operation overall. Only time will tell...

Zeno
                      No matter where you go, you're only halfway there...

BB of Elias

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see if the demand stays up. I'm expecting Volume 3 to be a really big seller as people will want to see if JMS says anything different or new about the change from Sinclair to Sheridan.

Now, see...if Cafe Press had gone ahead and worked out a solution to the subscription problem, they wouldn't have had to worry about knowing how many to pre-print, would they?

Jan

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if the demand stays up.
                          Jan
                          I dunno ... They've alienated and pissed off a lot of people with their fiascos so far. At this point, it's still up in the air whether I'll be ordering any more, and after Jan I'm probably the #2 biggest script collector around.

Comment

• If not ordering hurts you more than them, though, not ordering as a 'protest' is pretty self-defeating, isn't it? Unless there's a way for you to transfer the rest of your free shipping to me, that is...

Jan

Comment

Now, see...if Cafe Press had gone ahead and worked out a solution to the subscription problem, they wouldn't have had to worry about knowing how many to pre-print, would they?
                              What are you referring to here Jan?
                              The Optimist: The glass is half full
                              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• Back when JMS first told us about the script books but before we had any details, it was assumed that those who were going to want the full set would be able to 'subscribe' or pre-order them all just once instead of having to order individually each time. In the Script Book FAQ, they write:

Will there be a way to preorder all the volumes? Or set up automated billing so that as each one comes out it's billed and shipped automatically?
                                If a genie granted us only one wish, a solution to this problem would be it. (Well, it would be that, and universal peace, a solution to world hunger, and new shoes that wouldnÆt bite into the back of your heel, you know, in that little soft space right below and behind the ankle...don't you hate that?)

In fact we've been trying to solve this one for weeks, but a solution continues to elude us. That's because while producing this 15-volume, 6,000-plus page series is a team effort, actually getting them out the door by the thousands to over 36 different countries required partnering with company that specializes in such matters. That's why we partnered with CafÚ Press. Since they handle all the heavy lifting, we have to do things their way -- fair is fair -- and they don't have a mechanism to handle pre-orders. It was a trade-off. So we traded pre-payments for being able to actually publish the darned things...which was better than last week, when we traded all our money for magic beans. That said, you do have the option of either waiting until they are all available, or ordering them after each 4 or 5 are released. You lose the $10 "debut discount" but you save $3 per book on shipping for each additional book you order, so that's certainly a consolation.
                                In fact, just to be clear, my comment was entirely tongue-in-cheek. Holding credit card information for pre-orders is not a trivial problem and could cause undesireable security risks if not done properly so we're all better off if CP passed on this if they were unable to do it safely.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X