No announcement yet.

The ordering experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious about having a certain number of books printed ahead of time. If by volume 5 or 6, they see that they're getting some number of orders for each volume consistently, would they start to assume that they'll get at least close to that many orders and print some in advance?

I also think part of the problem may be the wording on the site. When they say the book is available on a certain date, it's obvious that nothing is ready to actually ship on that date. Maybe they should call it "pre-ordering" and then post something when copies actually begin to ship.

Note that I have no idea how CafePress actually does stuff, so this is all semi-educated guessing.

Comment

They might end up pre-printing some but being a Print-on-Demand publisher, it's a risk for them to do something like that. 'In Stock' to them means having the raw materials.

I'd heard that part of the delay for the first book was that they had some kind of trouble with their printer so it's also possible that they contract out part of the process.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Volume 2 already shipped

I got a mail my order is already shipped.
        Volume 2 + some goodies.
        They actually learnt from the first shambles. I'm impressed!
        Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
        John Sheridan

Comment

I got an email Tuesday night that one of my orders was on the way-that one was quote goodies only. Last night I got one that said my script book order (and a couple more quote items) is on the way. Scheduled delivery for the book order is December 7 (I used the coupon to upgrade shipping slightly).

I agree, it looks like they learned from the first wave of B5 fan orders and were well prepared this time, even with the addition of the quote merchandise. Good job, Cafe Press!

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Argh

[RANT MODE] right, now I'm annoyed.

I've been checking my order status on and off all day. it's now 5:10PM GMT (at least 11 am PST) and I finally clicked into the order to see when it was last updated results below:
            Order Status : Production

Last Updated: 11/27/2005 12:08:13 PM

what is going on? they can't update my order status since Sunday - or at all?
            There is a pending charge on my credit card for the bloody thing, what's going on - i'm getting really really really pi**ed off now.
            [/RANT MODE]
            Ok I've vented now, I did query the status with them and they said it would shpi tuesday - ~I'm beggining to wonder if they meant Tuesday the 6th! but I wonder am I the only european who's getting short shift here, and have the americans who ordered un Sunday expeiencing the same thing. I Fit doesn't ship soon I wont get it before the 23rd December.
            Phaze on the "growl, bark snarl " ID
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

It's been 3 business days (its start of 4th business day in States) since your order, Cafe Press official time to ship is 2 days so its only 1-2 days over the promised limit. I think they are overflowed and it continues to be so, i think some people waited weeks before volume 1 shipped out. Patience.

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout
                [RANT MODE] right, now I'm annoyed.

I've been checking my order status on and off all day. it's now 5:10PM GMT (at least 11 am PST) and I finally clicked into the order to see when it was last updated results below:
                Order Status : Production

Last Updated: 11/27/2005 12:08:13 PM

what is going on? they can't update my order status since Sunday - or at all?
                What do you expect them to do, update it with what page is printing?? The sequence goes 'ready for production', 'production' 'ready to charge', 'shipped' from what I've seen.
                There is a pending charge on my credit card for the bloody thing, what's going on - i'm getting really really really pi**ed off now.
                [/RANT MODE]
                Of course there is. AS IT STATES on the site, they get approval on your card at the time of ordering. The actual charge follows later but your bank dictates whether to hold authorizations against your credit, not Cafe Press.
                but I wonder am I the only european who's getting short shift here, and have the americans who ordered un Sunday expeiencing the same thing. I Fit doesn't ship soon I wont get it before the 23rd December.
                Phaze on the "growl, bark snarl " ID
                Now you're sounding paranoid. There's an entire 3 weeks until then. I thought you said it takes up to a couple of weeks to get to you. That leaves time still, doesn't it?

This can't be good for your blood pressure...

Jan
                Last edited by Jan; 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM. Reason: lousy spelling

Comment

calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean

OK,

I've calmed down a lot now, there wasn't anything to do in work and cheking my order status every 5 mins gave me something to do

I'm gonna go back downstairs, relax and watch some stargate season 2 for a bit, alos eating something will help.

I appreciate your comments and will now only get annoyed if they gaven't shipped by Friday 9th December, that's a more than reasonable length of time to give them.
                  Phaze
                  on the "eat and sci-fi now, relaxed" ID
                  "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Glad you're feeling better now. I'd hate to have you go splat all over the monitor.

Jan

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, mine hasn't shipped yet either. I think it may have worked out well for me, though, since I noticed a possible problem with the shipping address, so they corrected it for me today.

Comment

Originally posted by SLerman
                        If it makes you feel any better, mine hasn't shipped yet either. I think it may have worked out well for me, though, since I noticed a possible problem with the shipping address, so they corrected it for me today.
                        Yeah, mine had an aissue with the shipping address too, but my credit card company say they approved they payment 'cause I asked them to and told them it was OK
                        A nice credit card company, what next
                        [OFF TOPIC] I'm happy anyway, ezydvd have shipped my Farscape DVDs, I'm tempted to skip my remaining stargates and spend Christmas watching all 4 seasons mmm, Cladia Black
                        [/OFF TOPIC]
                        Phaze
                        on the "I'll never get around to listening to JMS commentery on the movie DVDs at this rate" ID

Comment

Mine hasn't shipped yet either so I right now it appears they haven't gotten the shipping thing worked out yet oh,well.

Comment

Were you able to get things straightened out so you could use a coupon, Satai Delenn?

Jan

Comment

No I decided not to call them and cancel the order it wasn't worth the extra two days wait .Figuring my copy will be delayed enough .Don't need to add extra over 5 bucks was it ?

Comment

I figured it took ten days last time to go from order to shipping as long as they don't take longer than that I will be happy. I also took a little longer since I canceld my first order to get my 5 dollar discount. I just hope Vol 3 come out in December so we don't have to wait for the wait to just get the darn thing.

nm
                                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Working...
                                X