No announcement yet.

The ordering experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second and third volumes crossed the Atlantic in cardboard boxes and thin plastic without bubble rap. They were ok. So soft things like paper does not need bubble rap.
    Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Well, obviously they sometimes do. Maybe yours crossed the ocean with a shipment of down pillows or something. <g> Mine were clearly handled more roughly.

Comment

• AmyG

Nacho, why won't you say anything to Cafe Press about it? If they don't hear from people that the shipping experience is less than satisfactory, how can they ever correct that?
        I guess it's because I've had to contact them for all 3 orders so far about bigger problems! And they've been real good to correct everything I've asked .. I'll give them that. I guess it just comes a time, to me, to either accept some of the stuff or stop ordering from them these books I really want ...

Comment

• All three of my books have been shipped from the US to the UK with the book in a plastic bag, and a thin cardboard skin, and all three have arrived in pristine condition, without so much as a dent, kink, scratch or anything.

To be fair to Cafepress (and acknowledging that Amazon's packaging is superb), I have ordered books from other suppliers in both the UK and US and the style of packaging used by Cafepress' is fairly common in my experience.

Sounds like the problems are down to how the mail company is handling the packages rather than any inherent deficiency in the packaging itself.

That said, it does appear that Cafepress, as a company, is always looking to improve the service it offers to customers, which is very encouraging and if we, as a group of like-minded consumers, can give that process a massive nudge then so much the better.
          The Optimist: The glass is half full
          The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
          The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• I've only ordered the books (no other merchandise) and each of them came in a plastic bag (thicker poly than comic book bags) and in a flat cardboard box (sized correctly, not cut down). All books have been mint to near mint (slight bend in cover of #3). I'm not buying for collection but rather to read, so it isn't a problem for me.

In the book distribution industry, shipping single units out in bags is not uncommon, though Amazon always ships in boxes, frequently with the internal item shrink-wrapped to a board if it doesn't exactly fit the in the box (e.g. with DVD's). In all cases, the selection of available boxes is not infinite (and the B5 scripts are an odd size). Additionally, it is very possible that the the initial orders will be processed in bulk (each order handled one after the other by a limited group of people) and later orders handled by their normal ad hoc processing (which would explain the envelopes on the reshipments).

All that being said, the book industry is unique in that it is assumed that some units will come back (either unsold or damaged); it is built into the cost estimates. If you do receive a dinged book (e.g. one that you wouldn't buy off the shelf of a bookstore), then it is completely fair for you to ask for a reshipment.

Zeno (whose $DAYJOB is a publishing/distribution company)
            No matter where you go, you're only halfway there...

BB of Elias

Comment

• Put my order in on Saturday (and they went on sale early, did you notice?) and the email that my order shipped was in my mailbox this morning! Yes, I did upgrade the shipping to Second-Day so it's due to arrive on Wednesday.

BTW, I noticed this on ISN news: The Zocalo Today:

For those of you who have wondered about sales of the scripts, I asked and received this response:
              Sales are terrific and robust enough that Cafe Press' head of production has requested two weeks notice before we launch a new volume so that they can prepare for the quantity of orders that come in during the 7 day discount window.
              That's good to hear!

Jan
              Last edited by Jan; 02-14-2006, 06:31 AM.
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I hope that encourages the other script writers to get together to put out books too.
                Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

• Well, I wrote to Peter David, and he seems to feel that, based on sales at conventions, it isn't worth it for him to put anything together. I also asked if I could buy his scripts directly from him, but never got an answer. Maybe the shadows got to him....

Comment

• Originally posted by Karen
                    Well, I wrote to Peter David, and he seems to feel that, based on sales at conventions, it isn't worth it for him to put anything together.
                    When I bought copies of his scripts at a con for some friends a few years ago, he only had 2 copies of each one with him and he hadn't even put them out on his table, I had to ask for them.

Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I think the only way it would get done is for somebody to get in touch with the writers individually and then pro-rate the amount of money they get based on the number of scripts in the book. Personally, I should think it's possible, but there's probably a fair amount of work involved for somebody, for relatively little compensation.

Comment

• Got my usual two books yesterday (though they were delivered to the apartment office Wednesday). Just to let people know, each individual book is now shrink wrapped instead of the plastic bag that they had been coming in. The books were tightly wrapped in bubble wrap, too, and so came in perfect + condition.

Nice work, Cafe Press.

Jan

Comment

• My copy of Volume 4 arrived 5 days after it was shipped (wow! that's fast for USA to Greece!) and in perfect condition. The book was wrapped in gelatine and packed in a very thick, very hard cardboard wrap. There's not even a scratch on the book, it's shiny perfect! Love you, CafePress!

And... don't you just love the smell of new, pristine fresh books?? I do!
                          What a sad thing you are! Unable to answer even such a simple question without falling back on references and genealogies and what other people call you! Have you nothing of your own? Nothing to stand on that is not provided, defined, delineated, stamped, sanctioned, numbered and approved by others? How can you be expected to fight for someone else, when you haven't the fairest idea who you are?

"Comes The Inquisitor"

Comment

• Originally posted by Karen
                            Well, I wrote to Peter David, and he seems to feel that, based on sales at conventions, it isn't worth it for him to put anything together. I also asked if I could buy his scripts directly from him, but never got an answer. Maybe the shadows got to him....
                            Shame. I read his blog and know him to be an entertaining writer. Although his volume would be slimmer- 2 B5s and a Crusade script - I'm sure he could tell some interesting stories about his time working on the show and even the subsequent Centauri novels. I know I'd certainly like to hear his side of the "Bear-balyon 5" story!
                            Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• Wow, talk about great service! As you might have noticed, there was a new message when ordering Volume 5 that:
                              AVAILABILITY: Books will ship in a minimum of 5 business days. Please Note - This will delay the shipment of your entire order
                              I generally do Second Day Air as my shipping option, in part because it's also gotten priority order fulfillment.

My order's been sitting with "Production" status since I ordered on Friday so I wrote to Jaclyn, the head of the B5 Scripts Team to ask if the '5 day' rule applied to the expedited shipping methods. It was just a question, I would have been perfectly happy to call Cafe' Press if she'd just answered and said that the order should have shipped-I just wanted clarification. I didn't even give my full name or order number (though my email address is my name).

Jaclyn wrote back that she'd checked my order and that it should have shipped on Monday so they'd be shipping today *and* she comped my shipping charge.

Now *that's* impressive service and going the extra mile.

Jan

Comment

• Bah, curses to ye. I sit at production still. (but then, I'm a cheap Super Saver bastard)
                                Radhil Trebors
                                Persona Under Construction

Comment

Working...
                                X