Script Book #1 - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Book #1 - SPOILERS

Some of you have already gotten your books so feel free to start discussing. Let's assume that all episodes have been seen already but if there's something really new in the material JMS has written, that people might want to discover for themselves, please use spoiler tags. To hide spoilers, type
    [ spoiler] (insert your text) [ /spoiler] without the spaces. This will 'hide' your text so that the reader has to highlight it in order to read it.

Let the discussions and discoveries begin!

Jan

EDIT: This is cool...this is thread #1,000!
    Last edited by Jan; 11-09-2005, 08:19 PM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

I'll begin .. this isn't new, to the respect of insight/content to an episode .. jms might have written about before, but I never read that same stuff.

But I'm really hacked of!! At those TV execs. In The "Intro .. First Steps" jms writes about how PTEN came about by the consortium of WB independent stations, and how Paramount was to come out with their answer/competition to it, UPN, and how the UPN people were to try to minimize B5.

Well, when the series started here, it started out on a FOX channel, that later became FOX/UPN. I don't quite know where in the 4 year period, before TNT got B5, that FOX added the UPN. Then UPN went off to a channel by itself, but still affiliated somewhat with FOX because the same person in town owned it and shared facilities.

Anyway, starting out they used to broadcast B5 on Saturdays about 5PM, and then a reshowing real early on Sunday morning. That was good, but in season 3 those buggers started showing it at 10:00 o'clock on Saturday night, and a reshowing early Sunday morning at about 5:00am. Then, sacrilege, about mid-season 4 they started showing it about 2:00 am Sunday morning only .. no reshowing. And those buggers would move it up or back an hour every week, and put in the local TV guide that it was showing at a different time. I always had to guess when it was on, and start watching about 12:00/1:00 am Sunday until it did come on.

I mean, I griped and moaned several times to the local FOX/UPN about it. They wouldn't do anything about it, didn't seem to care. I didn't know what was going on at the time .. I just thought it was incompetence at our FOX/UPN TV station.

Then jms writes that detail of how UPN was "fighting" with PTEN/WB, and it all comes to light then! The unfavorable showing came about when FOX and UPN came into cahoots with each other. And then when season 4 was about half over, they didn't really give a hoot about it anymore and treated it like the proverbial "step child" .. they probably had to show it by contract, but they could do whatever they wanted with it .. put it on late at night .. no ads for it .. give incorrect TV listings for it. It all comes to light now, that what I thought was incompetence was just planned that way. And that hacks me off to no end! I'm through with FOX and UPN (well, haven't watched them anyway for years, so it's not going to hurt them now).

Comment

I've got a question about how the book is set up. Is there just one long introduction by JMS or does he have a big intro and then smaller ones for each script? Where are the memos in relation to the scripts? The photos?

Jan
      Universe give me patience RIGHT NOW!
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Jan,

The book is sectioned off like this:

A dedication/credits/copyright

A table of contents

An intro

A section for his new comments of each script

Each script. The scripts are missing the cast and setting parts that they have on the scripts you have, though they look otherwise like them .. the same font, etc.

The photos, all black & white

The memos

[edit .. I haven't compared the scripts to see if they are the exact same as the scripts I bought from the Babylon 5 Fan Club, but I don't see why they would be different, unless it was a "special" draft like this "The Gathering" is.]
        Last edited by Nacho; 11-10-2005, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Are memos with additional JMS commentary or are they just thrown at the end of book (how are they structured)? Script site says there are 30 pages of memos in first book, true?

Comment

Sigma,

I don't see any new comment on the memos, other than there is a page explaining their inclusion, kinda as a find afterwards. They are at the end of the book, by themselves. There are 30 pages, though, that doesn't mean 30 memos, as some of memos are multi-pages.

Comment

Mind you, I'm not griping, but there are a couple of things that could have made it a better book:

1) I was thinking there would be more additional writing by jms than there is. Though, I'm happy with it as the book is really for the scripts, DOH!

2) I wish the photos would have been in color.

3) A simple thing like page numbers throughout, for the book itself. There are page numbers on his new content, but there are no book page numbers on the scripts, other than the page numbers that were on the scripts themselves. There could have been a "Book Page number" printed at the bottom of each page. I hate it when each and every page in a book or magazine is not numbered, even if in whole the book/magazine is page numbered.

4) The table of contents doesn't put a page number where each thing starts .. and doesn't show the scripts themselves .. this though is dependent on (3).

5) I wish there would have been an index, but I understand it would have been incredibly hard compiling it given how the book is put together, and the script content.

I'm prepared to "go the distance", though I was sight-unseen prepared anyway. The other stuff is nice, but I mainly just wanted the scripts (Even "Grey 17 is Missing"!) Afterall, there is considerable writings from jms about the series all over the internet. You just have to pick up bits & pieces here and there.

Comment

I would have liked color photos as well, but this is straight from Cafe Press's "How to Sell Books" section:

"Currently, book contents are printed in black and white only. This means any color images inserted in your document will be converted to grayscale during printing. To see exactly how color images will print, we recommend you convert them to grayscale yourself."

My guess is that JMS is going with Cafe Press for a number of reasons: convenience and cost to him, and also, eventual cost to _us_, the buyers. It could be that an outfit other than Cafe Press might have ended up costing us a bit more, which would add up over the course of fourteen volumes. In that case, I can live with black and white photos. I just wish there were more of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho
                  1) I was thinking there would be more additional writing by jms than there is.
                  Scripts homepage says that there is 53 pages of intros, thats 53/7 = 7,5 pages per "script" (and yes, i know book 1 has 6 scripts).
                  I have 2 Killick Season by Season guides (Season1 and 3, very good books btw, good information about episodes with JMS and cast comments), average episode commentary is about 4-5 pages. So 7,5 pages per episode is not too bad.

Comment

Sigma,

So 7,5 pages per episode is not too bad.
                    Consider though that the pages in this book are double spaced. I have those Killick books you are talking about, and haven't read them in quite a while, but they were single spaced, were they not? I thought those books were good.

I have another book by some guy from Great Brittian, where he basically diss'ed B5. I hate that book, and remember giving him a bad review on amazon.com where I bought the book!

Comment

Consider though that the pages in this book are double spaced.
                      Double spaced? i think you meant 1.5 spaced. Double spaced text would be impossible to read.

Comment

The book is sectioned off like this:

A dedication/credits/copyright
                        A friend just told me what the dedication is. Lovely. I'm so glad.

Jan

Comment

A friend just told me what the dedication is. Lovely. I'm so glad.
                          Yeah, I thought it real fitting and nice. Maybe Zathras will get a billing in one of the other books.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                            I would have liked color photos as well, but this is straight from Cafe Press's "How to Sell Books" section:

"Currently, book contents are printed in black and white only. This means any color images inserted in your document will be converted to grayscale during printing. To see exactly how color images will print, we recommend you convert them to grayscale yourself."

My guess is that JMS is going with Cafe Press for a number of reasons: convenience and cost to him, and also, eventual cost to _us_, the buyers. It could be that an outfit other than Cafe Press might have ended up costing us a bit more, which would add up over the course of fourteen volumes. In that case, I can live with black and white photos. I just wish there were more of them!
                            JMS said "There will also be a collection of B&W photos from my private collection taken behind the scenes" I guess my thought when I saw that was that the pictures were taken in Black and White.

my Favorite quote so far comes from page 33
                            "Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem"
                            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Hmmm.. Kinda wondering why we didn't get the lastest versions on the scripts. I've got some of the scripts in Volume 1 way back when the Babylon Fan Club was selling them. I find these differences of the scripts I already have:

Midnight on the Firing Line:
                              B5 Fan Club Final Revision 08/10/93
                              Script Book 06/03/93

Soul Hunter:
                              B5 Fan Club Final Revision 08/03/93
                              Script Book 06/24/93

Mind War:

B5 Fan Club Final Revision 11/01/93
                              Script Book 10/01/93

These also are not the "special scripts" that are mentioned in the book either. I just assumed they were going to be the same .. latest revision. I'm kinda disappointed in that.

Comment

Working...
                              X