Robert Wise RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Wise RIP

On the radio this morning I heard that Director Robert Wise has died of heart faliure, aged 91.

If I remember correctly he directed THE SOUND OF MUSIC and WEST SIDE STORY, as well as the SF Classics...THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN. He was also resposible for the first STAR TREK movie and the recent and much better re-working of same.

My personal favourite from his films is the one I've cited above, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. In it, I see many B5-type qualities, like the elegance of phrase and quiet dignity that the Michael Rennie character has which almost remind me of G'Kar, and how the story happens to be SF almost by accident!

I know that I am not really expressing it very well so I hope that others will be able to understand.

What a talented man, and what a loss to film making.
    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Originally posted by LightStorm
    What a talented man, and what a loss to film making.
    Thanks for letting us know, LightStorm. That is sad indeed. There's a pretty good article about him here from IMDB for those interested. He certainly left a wonderful legacy of films.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I saw the day the earth stood still on Filmfour's "magic hour" between 6 and 8 pm a few years back. I'd heard a lot about it but hadn't got around to watching it until then. I was most impressed. A sad loss indeed.
      Phazedout
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Klaatu Barada Nikto!

R.I.P.
        "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Working...
        X