Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Station in Space Above and Beyond DVD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiden
    thats why I'm glad that in my story, most of the murders are of ficticious species
    But then you'll get kooks who say the species are analogies for human ethnic groups.

Remember the Attack of the Clones thing?

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    thats why I'm glad that in my story, most of the murders are of ficticious species

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Years ago, I remember hearing about a movie based upon Michael Crichton's novel Rising Sun, and that Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery would play the lead roles. So I thought I'd buy the book so I could compare it to the movie (and how GREAT that turned out...). I imagined Peter Smith as looking like Snipes, and it worked, even though Crichton probably intended for Peter to be white. Connery as John Connor was great, too.

Well, the movie comes out and I guess Hollywood didn't go for a black guy named Peter, so they changed the character's name to Web(ster). Funny how they were trying so hard to be PC that they did something that could actually be construed as racist.

And the murderder was changed from a Japanese executive to the white American senator working with the exec. They didn't want to be accused of "Japan bashing."

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    agreed. I pointed out the minorities, but I like the actor as an actor. thats probably why I like reading books, you can imagine the person however you like, unless they have a descrip of the person. A lot of Characters in my story (save other world races) dont have descriptions of appearance, people can imagine what kind of person they are and choose how they look.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiden
    what if the sci-fi show is about caucasions in a post-apocolyptic era, being the minority!?
    Ya know, I wouldn't mind an 80% black/Hispanic/Asian/etc. cast as long as the roles were filled for story reasons rather than PC reasons. I mean, I really don't watch DS9 and think, "Hey, Sisko is black!" No, I'm not pushing that "colorblind" nonsense, but it just isn't an issue with me.

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    what if the sci-fi show is about caucasions in a post-apocolyptic era, being the minority!?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    And lack of "truly visable minorities" is a really lame reason to stop watching a show. But hey, to each their own.

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    Originally posted by rallytbk
    Hey, I am all for Affirmative actionà I nearly died when I saw Capt. Montoya on Babylon 5. LOL while he only lasted on one or two episodes it expanded my thoughts about future tv shows.
    In SAaB, I remember plenty of episodes where they focused on Damphousse, Wang, and one of my Fav characters . . . Commodore Ross I love Tucker Smallwood!

another Favorite actor of mine is Avery Brooks, maybe thats why I liked DS9 because it was quite cultured . . . but SAaB in itself was thought provoking. Especially with issues concerning Invitros (tanks) I liked the idea of them existing and what kind of treatment they would have.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Affirmative action in sci-fi casting...now I've seen it all.

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    that can be said about MANY sci-fi shows . . . I dont really feel like listing them all

Leave a comment:

• Sabotman
    replied
    Piss poor

Sorry, I gave up on Space: Above & Beyond about the 2nd ep.
    Fox promoted the model turned actress in commercials and the truly visable minorities got the shaft worse than they did on Enterprise!
    It's a sorry state of affairs when Sci Fi can't be bothered to show the caucians aren't the only ones in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    thats why I said every single B5 dvd RELEASED IN THE US . . . I'm a Region 1 person so yeah I am MUCH anticipating (although it is not my favorite piece of B5) Legend of the Rangers and you are right, it is being released separate because it's not associated with TNT's movies (note: the gathering was the TNT special edition presentation) . . . I asked the question in the LotR thread in the B5 forum, of where you would place the DVD on your shelf? Check it out!
    Last edited by Laiden; 09-27-2005, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ipeters
    replied
    To answer Laiden, the only film you are miss is Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers. It is being released on DVD in the UK pretty soon, so hopefully we'll be getting it over in the States sometime. But if you have a multi-region player you can order it now. It is the only movie not included in the Movie Collection, I think because Sci-Fi channel produced it.

Leave a comment:

• Harrdy
    replied
    I answered to the "why would anyone use the menus of their DVDs to take a swipe at another show. Makes no sense!" part.

The way I see it, if you picture something you advertise for it. And the reasoning that the whole deal is about stabbing Babylon 5 doen't make sense, that way. They *could* borrow a good artwork for themselfes, but at the end I guess they only open up other people to Babylon 5.

People would go "wow, Babylon 5 ripped off that other space show" in the beginning, but then (assuming that they can think) they would recognize it is the other way around. And maybe by that time spend "in rage" and searching the net they would become addicted to our favorite show, don't you think? 8-)

PeAcE

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    Speaking of the Station and DVD's . . . This is kinda Off/Not Off topic, but as of yesterday, I am in possesion of Every Babylon 5 DVD that has been released in the US

let me know if I am missing anything:
    Babylon 5: The gathering TV Premiere DVD (formated Widescreen presentation)
    Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the beginning DVD
    Babylon 5: Seasons 1-5 DVD sets
    Babylon 5: The Movie Collection
    Crusade: the complete Series

It was never my intent to own anything more than the seasons, the movies, and Crusade (of course LotR when it arrives) but my brother had owed me some money and for payment, he gave me the Movie collection (which I had yet to purchase again) and the Gathering/In the Begginning DVD . . . so now I put them all on my Shelf on my Entertainment Center with a black omega star fury in front guarding them, and I feel a satisfaction of completion

Leave a comment:

Working...
X