Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Station in Space Above and Beyond DVD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    replied
    Sorry Harrdy,
    You've lost me there.

Leave a comment:

• Harrdy
    replied
    Like conumers who are angry at a company decide to "send them a signal" by buying their products? 8o)

PeAcE

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by dimension_boy
    Remember, this predated B5 ...
    Hmm, no it didn't. B5 the series was produced between 1994 and 1998. S:AaB was produced in 1995/96.

Not a slight against B5 as some have intimated.
    That's just screwed up ... why would anyone use the menus of their DVDs to take a swipe at another show. Makes no sense!

Leave a comment:

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    replied
    Oh and Harrdy don't forget "Adam Adamant Lives" which was Doctor Who set on ...erm Earth.

Leave a comment:

• Harrdy
    replied
    "Let's do Battleships... IN SPACE!" Sorry, couldn't help it... but I do feel that sometimes producers only put known sets (e.g. military campaign) in a different backdrop and call it a new story. You have Odysseus in Space, you have Hamlet in Space, and you have the mentioned Battleships in Space... heck, you even can watch Cowboys in Space 8-/

PeAcE

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    if by "predated" you mean ficticiously, then yeah of course, but if you mean in order of when it was produced, Babylon 5 was into its second season at least by the time this show came around. but all in all I agree.

This show was a Scifi show that seemed more "real" something the creators of BSG are doing . . . someone either in another forum or in this forum said that if SAaB was produced now instead of 10 years ago, most likely it would've gotten a second Season.

It's great to meet another fan of the show! this series now sits proudly on the same shelf as my Battlestar Galactica DVDs. Not my B5 DVDs however, they are on display on a shelf in my entertainment center with a peuter model of a Black omega starfury in front of them

Leave a comment:

• dimension_boy
    replied
    S:A&B a worthy companion to B5 on your dvd shelf. (not an ad)

S:A&B was a fantastic series, cancelled like most good series by folks who don't get it.

But unlike other cancelled sci-fi shows, this one offered themes and writing that i would call fairly atypical for the genre. Remember, this predated B5 and the new BSG, which both offered more than morality tales and adventure stories with rayguns.

It's characters were interesting, especially the three lead pilots and their commander. Their topics of note included many issues about loyalty, sacrifice and brotherhood. Additionally, even though they were facing a mysterious alien foe, the characters were folks you could relate to, who demonstrated growth, frailty and humanity... all the good and the bad. B5 gave this to us, but in a high fantasy setting, whilst the S:A&B story was set in more familiar territory. No god-like ancients, no alien allies, no transwarp dummaflatchies.

B5 did well in avoiding the technobabble, BSG focuses on human drama, and ST: Enterprise managed to avoid bits of all this. But S:A&B kept it's scope more human, more relatable overall. I likedd that and yet still like the other three for their own merits.

Overall, I rate S:A&B amongst the top three best sci-fi series. It had integrity, genuiness and pathos. I also think it takes a political/social viewpoint not altogether well-represented in sci-fi: the honor and importance of the military life. It was a series about war... not a series that included intermittant conflicts sprinkled with holodeck accidents, but war from start to finish. It also had the guts to incorporate mention of God without shame. Bravo! Religion and Sci-Fi should not be uneasy bedfellows, as jms has demonstrated.

A fantastic show that deserves your attention. And the B5 station being on the menues has GOT to be simnply a major foul up by a complete sci-fi noob at Menues-R-Us Incorporated. Not a slight against B5 as some have intimated.

just my pov

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    I felt that too Shr'eshhhhhh. I just finished watching the DVD's and I wish I knew at least what they were planning for the next season. I caught myself being shocked again by the cliffhanger ending, and I thought, "why should I be shocked? I've seen it before" guess it always gets to ya. Someone I think from the IMDB forums tried to say that the surprise reveal at the end of the season was an obvious season 4 or 5 surprise, saying they knew about the cancelation and tried to tie a few things up. I think with the way things were going from the beginning of the season, I think this is how the season was supposed to run. I still agree, great series and yes the menus are "just screwy...."

Leave a comment:

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    replied
    I always thought that SAAB was rather reminicent of Starship Troopers (the novel), only without the fascism and concentrating on the skinnies rather than the bugs.

The dvd menu thing is hilarious but also rather sad as the show had some nice ship designs.

I liked it and was rather annoyed that it ws cancelled just when it was beginning to get good.
    Last edited by Shr'eshhhhhh; 09-19-2005, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    Someone has posted in the moderated groups a picture of the menu's and here is his reply

Originally posted by Re: JMS: Babylon 5 on Space: A&B DVD Menu!!
    Aphelion wrote:
    > Not sure if this has been discussed before, but:
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dhbfk3.jpg
    >
    > It isn't a hoax. I own the DVDs and this does indeed appear on the menus.
    >
    >
    > Aphelion

Now that's just screwy....

jms
    Same thoughts as us it appears. but I've seen a lot of guest stars or re-occuring roles in this series who are also from Babylon 5 (not like that hasn't happened). Jennifer Balgobin (Dr. Lillian Hobs) and Tucker Smallwood (David Endawi from "Matters of Honor") were just two of the actors I remember seeing in Space above and beyond. I thought I saw Gary McGurk (Morgan Clark) but it was another actor.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    Originally posted by cornholio1980
    Yeah, me too... thank god for dosbox
    Dosbox, why not run a Dos install of vmware under linux?
    On the subject of which (and perhaps we should rename the thread) I'm staring at the box for Wing Commander 4 - the price of freedom which came on an unprecedented eight! Cds, never got off CD 2 myself.
    Phaze
    on the "proud member of the penguin club and running linux on 2 outta 4 pcs" ID

Leave a comment:

• cornholio1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Milkman
    All, this wingcommander talk is making me sad... i miss wingcommander...
    Yeah, me too... thank god for dosbox

Leave a comment:

• Milkman
    replied
    All, this wingcommander talk is making me sad... i miss wingcommander...

Leave a comment:

• Laiden
    replied
    I agree with both Phazedout and LiderDeslok. I dont think wing commander had as much military feel to it in the games as this show does, but I can agree none-the-less.

I also started to find it odd as I am currently watching the show again, that they all have US flag on their uniforms . . . I know not EVERYONE in the world is united so maybe the united states has become the dominant military presence for the world . . . who knows, if there were other countries involved in the same military, I would think they would have a different flag on their flight suit. I've seen characters with accents, but I dont get to see their flag patch.

I also agree its not as great as B5, but it was just below that level of greatness lol

Leave a comment:

• LiderDeslok
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout
    I watched a few episodes of this on sky and the look and feel reminded me a lot of Origin's PC game series Wing Commander. I even nicknamed it "Wing Commander - the TV series" and several of my friends agreed.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Phaze

That is exactly the same feeling I have, it IS Wing Commander on TV with a diferent name.

This even more similar to the game universe then the movie based on the game they made for the cinemas.

Anyway, beside the fact that the Earth force is too much americanized, they even carry the USA flag on the arm, the series is OK. But don't go looking for something on B5 or BSG level there, you will be desapointed.

Regards,
    LiderDeslok

Leave a comment:

Working...
X