The Rampant, Irresponsible Religion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Radhil
    Ah, nothing like harassing people to bring out that rosy Christmas spirit glow. Oh, wait, that's books burning on the Yule Log, nevermind.
    Come on Radhill, just because someone wants to tweak the nose of the ACLU doesn't mean that they want to burn all books. Making that jump is pretty ludicris.
    ---
    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan

Yeah, completely ignore the rest of the population who doesn't celebrate Christmas but might celebrate other holidays. Doesn't matter, only the majority counts, right?
      Originally posted by rallytbk

àAs they are working so very hard to get rid of the CHRISTMAS part of this holidayà
      Originally posted by Laiden

How many people know what Christmas means anymore? This holiday is as lost as St. PatrickÆs Day, Valentines Day, Halloween or Easter.
      Originally posted by Jan
      Same to you, Laiden! I'd never 'correct' somebody who wishes me a good day, happy holiday, merry Christmas, joyous solstice, happy Kwanzaa or happy Hanukkah. It would be rude. It's a good wish and there's too few of them these days.
      Not to ignore other Holidays, but to embrace and learn about how other people celebrate their special daysà If Christmas is reduced to a Generic Holiday with Santa Claus and gift giving, (or even omitting Santa Claus) then so will Hanukkah and any other holiday that falls in December (or Knock on wood, all Holidays be lumped in to a forced month of celebration) in to one Generic ôThe Holidaysö theme, then how will our future children learn about the reasons for these so-called Holiday.

I want to learn about how other people celebrate their Holidays and without loosing sight of the bigger picture, properly tell someone to enjoy their special day, what ever that may entail. To me let me have my day, so that you can have your day too.
      "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

• I've celebrated Hanukka, and Kwanza with some of my friends before. I rather quite enjoyed their holidays and learned much. but most of the holidays are based on religion . . . shouldn't we learn to be better cultured than bias of other beliefs?

oh yes, its topics like this that bring the song "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" to mind
        "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." -- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"

Comment

• Originally posted by thebaron
          Come on Radhill, just because someone wants to tweak the nose of the ACLU doesn't mean that they want to burn all books. Making that jump is pretty ludicris.
          OK, yeah, I was a bit over the top. But to me it's the same attitude - the my way or the highway thing.

Originally posted by rallybtk
          Not to ignore other Holidays, but to embrace and learn about how other people celebrate their special daysà
          That's a better sentiment than freezing a mail reception office.
          Radhil Trebors
          Persona Under Construction

Comment

• The lowlife hippies from the ACLU do a good enough job of making asses of themselves. Let them be.
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• ... I always enjoy reading the historical facts behind Christmas traditions.

... This link is pretty good, if you're interested. The page isn't very well done, but the info is solid.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/xmas.htm
              "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

• ACLU of New Jersey Defends Property Owner Against Government Seizure of Land to Give to Religious School
                http://www.aclu.org/religion/govtfun...s20051018.html

ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing "Awesome God" at Talent Show
                http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools...s20050920.html

ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program
                http://www.aclu.org/religion/govtfun...s20051206.html

ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison
                http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/19918prs20050804.html

Found the links.
                Last edited by David Panzer; 12-20-2005, 08:42 AM.
                RIP Coach Larry Finch
                Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• Excellent, thanks WillieStealAndHow.

Oh, and Happy Solstice to those so inclined!

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• You know, I have to drag out my Aluminum pole for Festivus! As you know Festivus starts with the airing of grevances and ends with the feats of strength. I can't wait for another Festivus miracle!
                    ---
                    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

• Originally posted by thebaron
                      You know, I have to drag out my Aluminum pole for Festivus! As you know Festivus starts with the airing of grevances and ends with the feats of strength. I can't wait for another Festivus miracle!
                      Makes you rally think...
                      Dec 21st, 2005

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...1224-6972r.htm

Military chaplains told to shy from Jesus.
                      To pray -- or not to pray -- in Jesus' name is the question plaguing an increasing number of U.S. military chaplains, one of whom began a multiday hunger strike outside the White House yesterday.
                      "I am a Navy chaplain being fired because I pray in Jesus' name," said Navy Lt. Gordon Klingenschmitt, who will be holding 6 p.m. prayer vigils daily in Lafayette Park.

Continued.
                      "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

• Disclaimer:
                        The following statement is not intended to offend anyone on a personal level.
                        It is just my opinion and everyone can be happy with the belief of hisser choice.

Personally I can't understand why anyone in a time period where science is so far developed still believes in god(s). IMHO religion is an outdated concept.
                        Granted, the races in B5 are even far more advanced and STILL believe in gods and religion integral part of their culture, but that is also something I could never really comprehend.
                        Still I like it when Londo shouts "Grrreat Makerr!"
                        What's up Drakh?

Comment

• think I'll stick to my belief in the church of the flying spaghetti monster...

y'know I got nothing against anyones choice in beliefs, especially at this time of the year - but I cant help but shake my head when I read some of the stuff on news websites in the "have your say" sections (like the bbc.co.uk news site - dig around in there among the "have your say" listings on the Intelligent Design debate as an example....)

Happy solstice indeed Jan - I figure that sounds way better than "compliments of the season" etc....

ttfn......
                          This Staircase has 105 Steps...

Comment

• Originally posted by I love Lyta
                            Personally I can't understand why anyone in a time period where science is so far developed still believes in god(s). IMHO religion is an outdated concept.
                            I don't take offense to your opinion, but I figured I'd mention that I've known a few people in deep scientific study who are quite religious. Not just the basics they teach you in school. Some of the stuff they come up with really makes me wonder, and it makes them wonder, and damn if it doesn't make them believe a bit stronger.

Not an endorsement of any particular instruction manual to Heaven. But there is something there, hiding in details.
                            Radhil Trebors
                            Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Originally posted by I love Lyta
                              Disclaimer:
                              Granted, the races in B5 are even far more advanced and STILL believe in gods and religion integral part of their culture, but that is also something I could never really comprehend.
                              Because Frazier and Joseph Campbell are full of shit and don't know what they're talking about.

Religion doesn't refute science, no matter what the Intelligent Design folks may believe. But Science doesn't refute religion, no matter what hardcore atheists may believe. Both can (and should) exist in perfect harmony with one another.
                              "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Karachi Vyce
                                Religion doesn't refute science, no matter what the Intelligent Design folks may believe. But Science doesn't refute religion, no matter what hardcore atheists may believe. Both can (and should) exist in perfect harmony with one another.
                                Completely agreed.* Somehow I've always thought that a god who could create something as complex as a universe that follows natural laws and that's worth figuring out in the micro as well in the macro is much more worship-worthy than one who just would snap His/Her/It's fingers and blink everything into existance.

Jan
                                *and isn't that more than just a little frightening?
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X