No announcement yet.

The Rampant, Irresponsible Religion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe in God, but that doesn't stop me from believing that the process known as the Big Bang was the process by which God created the universe. Look at it this way. Simply snapping your fingers and making it happen would be boring. God does things in a beautiful way.

Genesis:

1:1
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

1:2
    And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

1:3
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

1:4
    And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

1:5
    And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

1:6
    And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

1:7
    And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

1:8
    And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

1:9
    And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
    To me, that all sounds like a slow process.

And this:

2:7
    And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
    Dust = amino acids?????
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Dust = amino acids?????
      *shrug* May very well be. But that's kinda the trouble with this ruckus. ID says God designed us, but it says nothing about how it was done. Evolution says how it was done, but says nothing about "who" or why. Yet they're pitted against each other like one can't exist without the other. Mainly because no one who's involved has a lick of sense.
      Radhil Trebors
      Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Dust could mean Carbon, actually house dust is made from dead skin so Major Tom may be a junkie after all.
        I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

• ... wow... these political topic posts get huge numbers of replies. That's one thing I miss about America. People here will only talk about this kind of thing if they're totally pissed (drunk) and about to fall flat on their faces... and then they make no sense at all...

... Intelligent Design... is alarming (to me, personally). It is beyond belief that this might actually be taught in public schools. I'm a Christian, my family has been Baptist, as well as a few other denominations, but even then, all of us feel a solid education in science is an absolute must! This Intelligent Design... scientists don't take it seriously - not because they dislike Christians or the Bible, etc... They don't take it seriously because its foundations are very, very tenuous (sp?) at best. My son might be going to an American public school one day...

... worrying...
          "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
            ... wow... these political topic posts get huge numbers of replies. That's one thing I miss about America. People here will only talk about this kind of thing if they're totally pissed (drunk) and about to fall flat on their faces... and then they make no sense at all...
            Yep - if there's 2 things in this world that inspire just about everyone on the planet to express an opinion, whether it take the form of healthy discussion in a forum like this, or at the business end of a weapon, it's politics and religion.... or perhaps "nitro" and "glycerin" maybe.....

I dunno - all the fuss about ID - I wouldnt mind, but then you get schools that stop the teaching of evolution, and instead teach only ID... How about teaching them both, and let the kids make their own minds up about the whole damn thing.....

ttfn....

Villarestall
            This Staircase has 105 Steps...

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
              Like I said...it's a nonstory, and unsurprising considering the source. If George Bush had said it, then yeah, it'd be news.
              Well, I once had significant dealings with the Republican Party (I was an officer). You have NO IDEA how many people, on the local and state level, rely on Pat Robertson for their spiritual guidance. Many of the state officers for the party had to have the endorsement of the Robertson folks in order to win their positions.

Robertson may not, himself, hold any official office, but he does still have influence.
              "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

• Originally posted by SpooRancher
                Well, I once had significant dealings with the Republican Party (I was an officer). You have NO IDEA how many people, on the local and state level, rely on Pat Robertson for their spiritual guidance. Many of the state officers for the party had to have the endorsement of the Robertson folks in order to win their positions.

Robertson may not, himself, hold any official office, but he does still have influence.
                If by "you once had dealings" means about 10 years ago, then yes, you'd probably be correct.

Republicans have actively distanced themselves from that putz long ago.

I love that the press finds Pat saying moronic things newsworthy. As if "idiot says something stupid" is truly headline material.
                -=Mike

Comment

• As if INSIGNIFICANT idiot says something stupid, you mean...
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Why deal with idiots, when you can talk to god on your computer?

My recent chat with god...

Me:
                    knock knock
                    God:
                    Who's there?
                    Me:
                    i don't know lol
                    God:
                    Me either. I'm glad you find this amusing.
                    Me:
                    who are you
                    God:
                    I am the Allmighty, God himself.
                    Me:
                    no you're not
                    God:
                    Are you serious? Is this a specific reply?
                    Me:
                    yes
                    God:
                    Try explaining in more general terms.
                    Me:
                    i'm not in the military
                    God:
                    What is your favorite duty station so far?
                    Me:
                    hahaha, you said duty
                    God:
                    What makes it your favorite?
                    Me:
                    what
                    God:
                    Are you surprised?
                    Me:
                    of what?
                    God:
                    I have no idea what to say now.
                    Me:
                    yay
                    God:
                    I'm glad your impressed, .
                    Me:
                    not of you
                    God:
                    If not that, what?
                    Me:
                    nothing
                    God:
                    Not a thing?
                    Me:
                    yes
                    God:
                    Tell me more.
                    Me:
                    why
                    God:
                    I am curious.
                    Me:
                    curiosity killed jesus
                    God:
                    jesus was killed?
                    Me:
                    yes
                    God:
                    Yippee!
                    RIP Coach Larry Finch
                    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how many favorable articles and reviews His Dark Materials will get compared to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Comment

• Please add one more card to your Christmas card List.

This is a great
                        idea!

I'll spend $ .37 to help make the point, so please do the same!

Wanna have some fun this CHRISTMAS? Send the ACLU a CHRISTMAS CARD!

As they are working so very hard to get rid of the CHRISTMAS part of
                        this holiday, we should all send them a nice, CHRISTIAN card to brighten up
                        their dark, sad, little world.

Make sure it says "Merry Christmas" on it.

Here's the Address, just don't be rude or crude.
                        (It's Not the Christian Way ya know.)

ACLU
                        Moderators edit: Look it up if you want to do this.
                        New York, NY10004

Two tons of Christmas cards would freeze their operations because they
                        wouldn't know if any were regular mail containing contributions..

So spend 37 cents and tell the ACLU to leave Christmas alone.

Also tell them that there is no such thing as a HolidayTree. . . . It's
                        a Christmas Tree.

Let's keep "Christ" in Christmas and remember Jesus is the reason for
                        the season!

Moderators note: This verges on both spam and an expression of hatred vased on religion but I'm only editing the address because it's not clear-cut.
                        Last edited by Jan; 12-19-2005, 01:16 PM.
                        "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

• Yeah, completely ignore the rest of the population who doesn't celebrate Christmas but might celebrate other holidays. Doesn't matter, only the majority counts, right?

YOU send the ACLU a 'Christian' card. Completely forget the non-denominational 'Golden Rule' about doing unto others as you'd have done unto you, feel free to try to 'freeze their operations'.

Yeah...real 'christian', your idea.

Jan
                          NOT wearing the Moderator Hat
                          Last edited by Jan; 12-19-2005, 01:26 PM.
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• How many people know what Christmas means anymore? This holiday is as lost as St. Patricks day, Valentines day, Halloween or Easter. so I say do what they like, I'm still calling the holiday I celebrate "Christmas" and to the average person I will say "Happy Holidays"

If I celebrated something other than Chistmas and someone told me, out of natural Habit "Merry Christmas" I would know that they are just wishing me a nice Holiday and thus I Would thank them and wish them the same without correcting them.

so I guess my point it . . . Who cares!? Seasons Greetings Everyone!
                            "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." -- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"

Comment

• Same to you, Laiden! I'd never 'correct' somebody who wishes me a good day, happy holiday, merry christmas, joyous solstice, happy kwanzaa or happy hanukkah. It would be rude. It's a good wish and there's too few of them these days.

Oh, and we missed 'bill of rights day' on Dec. 15. Happy belated BORD, everyone!

Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                                It'll be interesting to see how many favorable articles and reviews His Dark Materials will get compared to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
                                Are they actually getting it running? I heard mutters about deals this and deals that but nothing further - no writing, no casting, no release.

I'd also be interested. The knee-jerk comparisons alone would make me giddy with laughter, presuming they keep certain stuff in. It's ironic - I love both sets of books to death, but no illusions about how they clash.

Originally posted by rallytbk
                                Two tons of Christmas cards would freeze their operations because they wouldn't know if any were regular mail containing contributions..
                                Ah, nothing like harassing people to bring out that rosy Christmas spirit glow. Oh, wait, that's books burning on the Yule Log, nevermind.

EDIT - On the "Christ out of Christmas" front, this will sum up my feelings perfectly.
                                Last edited by Radhil; 12-19-2005, 02:44 PM.
                                Radhil Trebors
                                Persona Under Construction

Comment

Working...
                                X