No announcement yet.

The Rampant, Irresponsible Religion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people take this bastard (speaking of Robertson) seriously? My question naturally excludes those who haven't been snookered into giving to his organization
    RIP Coach Larry Finch
    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      <unearths old thread, shakes it out, dusts it off>

Well. Color me disgusted...but not surprised. From a Reuters news story about Pat Robertson's latest:
      Can you help me out, here. I missed the story before the story. How exactly is it that Dover turned God out of their city?
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

The citizens of Dover, PA voted out 8 school board members. All 8 wanted to introduce "intelligent design" to the curriculum in a statement which encouraged students to read about it. All 8 board members were up for re-election. Robertson then went on his show and had his temper tantrum
        Last edited by David Panzer; 11-11-2005, 06:34 AM.
        RIP Coach Larry Finch

Comment

This is just a nonstory about an obsolete kook. When Howard Dean says something as outrageous, though, it's REAL news, as he is the DNC chairman. But guess which one the media plays up?
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Ah, thanks WillieStealAndHow. Now I've got it. So... when will Pat be leading the faithful out of Dover without looking back, and what are the chances of an odd pillar of salt or two along the path of exodus?
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

When Pat Robertson says something worthwhile.
              When every politician in these United States become men and women of honesty, integrity and efficency.
              When mankind can defecate precious jewels and gold.

or When my Cubs win the World Series.

The first 3 have a better chance of happening
              RIP Coach Larry Finch

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                <unearths old thread, shakes it out, dusts it off>

Well. Color me disgusted...but not surprised. From a Reuters news story about Pat Robertson's latest:

<insert emoticon for gagging here> So it guess what he's saying is that whole free will thing was just a joke, huh? I thought the veangful god thing had gone out of fashion with the Old Testament.

Jan
                He is allowed to express his point of view no matter how wrong it may be. Another interesting thing to note is that this whole "Intelligent Design" thing is not something that is accepted by everyone in conservative circles. Nor is it accepted in the circles of the "religious right" either.

And as for the whole vengeful god/old testament issue, see my previous posts that the OT isn't supposed to be taken in its literal form. An classic example of this would be the verse "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". Taken in it's literal form, it's not very pretty. Since there would be lots of people looking like pirates and hockey players. However, through interpratation it's understood that it's the monetary value of what was wounded in addition to the payment of doctor bills/medicine, pain & suffering, compensation for loss of work and the embarrassment of having the damage.

There is still plenty of free will in the Old Testament.
                ---
                Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Like I said...it's a nonstory, and unsurprising considering the source. If George Bush had said it, then yeah, it'd be news.
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
                    He is allowed to express his point of view no matter how wrong it may be. Another interesting thing to note is that this whole "Intelligent Design" thing is not something that is accepted by everyone in conservative circles. Nor is it accepted in the circles of the "religious right" either.
                    Oh, I'm all for his right to express whatever he wants, truly. I would never consider that he should be suppressed. I just was exercising my right to express that I think he's an asshole.

My rant was only against him, not against conservatives or the 'religious right' or any sect, circle or brand of faith.

Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan
                      Oh, I'm all for his right to express whatever he wants, truly. I would never consider that he should be suppressed. I just was exercising my right to express that I think he's an asshole.

My rant was only against him, not against conservatives or the 'religious right' or any sect, circle or brand of faith.

Jan
                      Jan,

I didn't mean to imply that you were speaking out against any of those other groups. Your comment about Robertson just made it an easy segue to what I was saying.

Again, my apologies for the implication.
                      ---
                      Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                      www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

• Originally posted by thebaron
                        I didn't mean to imply that you were speaking out against any of those other groups. Your comment about Robertson just made it an easy segue to what I was saying.
                        No apology needed, TB. I just clarified 'just in case'.

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                        If George Bush had said it, then yeah, it'd be news.
                        Anybody know if his reported quote that atheists can't really be considered Americans has been verified? I wasn't particularly happy about that one, either.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess it was daddy Bush, at least according to this article.

Jan
                        Last edited by Jan; 11-11-2005, 10:00 AM.
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Yeah, a non-story. I agree. But one I have no problem bitching about regardless.

What I'm waiting for is some anonymous dude to stand up from any community that gets slammed like this and say "If that's God's way, then screw God." It would give me the warm fuzzies, and Robertson and his ilk would start to froth at the mouth as they should.

(disclaimer: nuttin' against religion, everything against nutters)
                          Radhil Trebors
                          Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Well, if somebody said that then they'd be offending God, not the kooks.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebaron
                              Indeed... there are religious representatives that support evolution. http://www.uwosh.edu/colleges/cols/r...laboration.htm

But that does not deny the fact that Robertson said something stupid and anti-christian in sentiment.
                              The onus is on the creationists/IDers to stop speaking out of their anus.
                              Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                              James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                                The onus is on the creationists/IDers to stop speaking out of their anus.
                                That would be the "anus onus"!

:ducks and runs:

Comment

Working...
                                X