Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew_Swallow
    Yes. These days blacks are allowed to buy guns. I like problems that solve themselves.

Here's a great example right here. Sounds pretty racist to me.

I am not trying to be funny here. I feel the moderators here should allow people to say what they feel and think, while being respectful to others. So, even though Andrew_Swallow is racist, I'm glad he posted what he posted; I'd rather know what someone thinks unfiltered than have them lie about their true feelings.

Andrew_Swallow, if you're reading this, what religion do you claim? What political party do you register with? I'm actually quite interested, seriously.
    Last edited by manwithnoname; 06-01-2006, 08:02 AM.
    "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

• Originally posted by manwithnoname
      I feel the moderators here should allow people to say what they feel and think, while being respectful to others.
      Which I think most people here realize is how I try to balance things. If/when things tip over into hate speach or personal attacks/namecalling, then I have to edit but I try to keep it to the absolute minimum, only editing single words if possible. If I'm not pretty sure, I err on the side of not editing.

Gotta tell you, I've enjoyed this latest conversation a lot.

Jan
      semi-wearing the moderator hat
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan

Jan
        Cool beans.

Since this is the religion thread, I'm not referring to magic beans, since some Christians think magic is of the Devil.
        "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

You have to be specific: moderate Republican, moderate conservative Republican, moderate fundamentalist ("The Ten Commandments should be law in America") Christian, moderate fiscal-conservative Republican, moderate social conservative Republican, etc.
          When there is no modifier, it should be assumed that I was referring to "across the board."

No offense, Z'Dweller, but your posts come off as very right wing
          Good.

(my perception).
          Your perception does not need checking. That's always a good thing.

Labelling everybody here as "pretty leftist" is very narrow-minded.
          If narrow-minded means aptly describing something that my equally apt senses perceive, then yes.

I consider myself a centrist, neither Demo or Repub b/c I believe many bad ideas/policies AND good ideas/policies come from both sides. Career policticians are another story; they're a mixed bag: often hard to find a good one; they are, generally, more interested in maintaining their seat of power and building influence with special-interest groups than helping present Americans and future Americans (kids). For instance, Social Security, Federal deficit, taxes (putiing more of the tax burden on average Americans every year, while corporations make more money -- every year), and the list goes on. Both political parties use the same tactics, they just claim a different tribe.
          But they usually have different goals, regardless of their tactics to stay in office. Your statement above about corporations and average Americans is leftist, cut and dry. Sorry if you dislike how I apply a description to your view on that particular topic. I am just about the perfect definition of an average American and the recent tax cuts have done nothing but good for me, and the economy overall.

Don't get me wrong...I think most members of Congress are scumbags. That being said, I still have a preference for those who support and occasionally achieve that which I desire, such as the tax cuts.

Personally, I don't like what Congress is doing or has done. They vote for bills every year that includes wasteful spending, and then later cry about lack of money. Anybody ever hear about the famous Alaskan Bridge to Nowhere project? Millions and millions of dollars have been spent every year on this ridiculous project serving, literally, a handful of people.
          And this is something that Republicans have been bitching about for years, and continue to do so. It's curious how liberals now jump on the bandwagon since there is a Republican majority.

Tom Brokaw used to have the "Fleecing of America" portion on his show (when he was alive, of course).
          Mr. Brokaw is alive and well.

Anybody remember that? For those in other countries and those that don't recall, it highlighted wasteful government spending.
          I'd love to see it so that I could dismantle it.

Now, back on topic: Religion thread (straddling political thread)
          While everybody has made valid points for and against the legislation regarding freedom of speech, specifically against this "church," everybody has also made invalid points for and against this legislative action by Congress.

The newspaper reported: The law indicates the "church" group can still protest, BUT there now is a 300 feet buffer zone. They can still scream (or whisper) into their bullhorns/microphone-amp system or use the old-fashioned vocal cords to spread their "gospel."

IMO, freedom of speech is still maintained. And, equally important, people can bury their loved ones in, relative, peace.
          I'd like to make that buffer zone fifty miles. THERE IS NO FIRST AMENDMENT VIOLATION HERE. Nobody is stopping these people from saying what they want to say. That's the bottom line.

Thanks for your words of sanity on this subject, MWNM.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• I think Andrew Swallow made a pretty decent cringe humor joke.
            "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Andrew_Swallow
              Yes. These days blacks are allowed to buy guns. I like problems that solve themselves.

Here's a great example right here. Sounds pretty racist to me.
              That was not racist, it was anti-KKK.

One of the civil rights that persons of color gained in the twentieth centry was the right to buy guns. Prior to that it had been restricted to whites. The KKK did not believe in fighting fair.
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                Your statement above about corporations and average Americans is leftist, cut and dry. Sorry if you dislike how I apply a description to your view on that particular topic. I am just about the perfect definition of an average American and the recent tax cuts have done nothing but good for me, and the economy overall.
                I make pretty good money, and I saw an increase in the amount of taxes I pay. I look over my check-stub deductions with a fine-tooth comb (or eyes, it works better). I don't see my comment as leftist, but fact. However, I do understand and realize everybody is not of the same tax bracket, so tax cuts affect people differently; therefore, we have many facts: 1) you benefitted and 2) my taxes went up.

However, I should qualify what I said before about corporate welfare. In Oregon, at least, more of the tax burden is on the average Oregonian, increasingly every year; and, corporations get to pay less and less taxes, every year. This is fact, not opinion.

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                Don't get me wrong...I think most members of Congress are scumbags. That being said, I still have a preference for those who support and occasionally achieve that which I desire, such as the tax cuts.
                And, don't forget the ballooning budget deficit. Republican control of Congress has seen an incredible amount of out-of-control spending. I don't see this as a good thing. I'm not saying the Dems are any better. I point this out b/c the perception of Dems is "tax and spend." Well, the Republicans are sure embracing this concept and running with it. I believe tax cuts should not also increase the federal deficit.

Mr. Brokaw is alive and well.
                Ooops. Wrong guy.

I'd love to see it so that I could dismantle it.
                It would take you a long time.

THERE IS NO FIRST AMENDMENT VIOLATION HERE. Nobody is stopping these people from saying what they want to say. That's the bottom line.
                I agree 100%.

Thanks for your words of sanity on this subject, MWNM.
                I agree 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
                  That was not racist, it was anti-KKK.
                  Oh, sorry.

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
                  One of the civil rights that persons of color gained in the twentieth centry was the right to buy guns. Prior to that it had been restricted to whites. The KKK did not believe in fighting fair.
                  Ah, cool. You get history points. Misunderstanding is all too easy here. Humor (or sarcasm) posting is hard to get across, unless you qualify it within the same post.

Cool?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan
                    As time has passed, I've noticed that news coverage seems to follow... Call me cynical but I don't believe that anything's changed, just the focus is on that particular news item.
                    Originally posted by Jan

Jan
                    True, I have enjoyed this conversation and learned a lot from it. It is nice see thought provoking replies pro and con when it came to protesting solders burials. With an open mind I saw both sides of the so-called coin. Thanks for the insightful information.

--------- Now back to replying to Babylon 5 questions ---------
                    "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Cool?
                      Yes, I am cool.
                      Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Here's some news that falls in the thread's category:

Updated:2006-06-05 14:37:04
                        Lioness Kills Man Who Enters Zoo Cage
                        Reuters

KIEV (June 5) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Thoughts on this?

Comment

Here's some news that falls in the thread's category:

Updated:2006-06-05 14:37:04
                          Lioness Kills Man Who Enters Zoo Cage
                          Reuters

KIEV (June 5) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Thoughts on this?
                          Does that fall under the requirements for earning a Darwin Award?
                          RIP Coach Larry Finch
                          Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                          Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• To be continued

Marine's Father Sues Funeral Protesters
                            Jun 05 3:30 PM US/Eastern

GREENBELT, Md.

The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters from a fundamentalist Kansas church filed an invasion-of- privacy suit against the demonstrators Monday.

It is believed to be the first lawsuit brought by a soldier's family against Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., whose members routinely demonstrate at military funerals around the country.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., the father of Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder, is seeking unspecified damages. The younger Snyder, 20, died March 3 after an accident in the Al Anbar province of Iraq. He was buried in Westminster, Md.

"We think it's a case we can win because anyone's funeral is private," Snyder lawyer Sean Summers said. "You don't have a right to interrupt someone's private funeral."

Members of Westboro say the military deaths in Iraq are God's punishment for America's tolerance of gays. They typically carry signs with slogans such as "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for IEDs," a reference to the roadside bombs used by insurgents.

The church has inspired dozens of state laws banning funeral protests, including a Maryland law that did not go into effect until after Snyder's memorial.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the small congregation, said it is the first time Westboro has been sued by a soldier's family.

"We were exercising our First Amendment rights," she said.

On the Net:

Family Web site: http://www.matthewsnyder.org
                            I hope the family sues their collective asses.

I wouldn't mind if these suckers would be 'called to their God'.
                            "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

• I hope the family wins. I support them and every military family.
                              RIP Coach Larry Finch
                              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• I support.
                                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Working...
                                X