The Rampant, Irresponsible Religion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Yeah, they're great people, just like Mormons. So? It's that kind of nice where they could pull out a machine gun at any moment and kill everyone. You have to be a special kind of crazy to belong to a cult like JW.
    And just remember, as Mit Romney (current Gov. of MA and presidental hopeful who happens to be Morman) says marrage is defined as being between a man and a woman, and a woman, and a woman...

---
    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

• A best friend of mine, whom I've known for 5 years, grew up in the JW religion.

JW's don't believe in the Pledge of Allegiance & voting; that doesn't sit well with me.
      "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

• Originally posted by manwithnoname
        A best friend of mine, whom I've known for 5 years, grew up in the JW religion.

JW's don't believe in the Pledge of Allegiance & voting; that doesn't sit well with me.
        Or in military service. Or in competition (as in, your kid playing little league baseball). Or in citizenship. Or in...
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Yep, kooky for Coco Puffs.
          "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

• Originally posted by manwithnoname
            Yep, kooky for Coco Puffs.
            [/hate speech]
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• For many years now, the closest thing to a religion or religious experience is the band Tool. And, they've finally released their 10,000 Days <kneeling, hands in supplication> cd.

Comment

Or in military service. Or in competition (as in, your kid playing little league baseball). Or in citizenship. Or in...
                JW's feel that Pledging alliegance to the flag is worshipping an idol. Yes, we say "One nation under God ..." but we are pledging "allegiance to the flag". This to them is idol worship and puts the flag (& Country) above God. So, they refuse to pledge allegiance. Serving in the military is serving the Country over God. This is yet another extension of the same view.
                They also do not vote. I am actually rather grateful for this. We would have an endless string of Republican Presidents if they did. Picture another Utah.

They believe in competition but not for competitions sake. Sports and games are fun but like all things should not be done to excess. God comes first.

On the last one, I can see their point. So many people are literally OBSESSED with sports that they stop living their lives. I have a friend who gets up in the morning, checks the scores in the paper. Goes to work. Comes home and turns on ESPN. He has no life outside of this. Does not go out anymore. Has nothing to talk about if you do happen to see him on the one time in the year he was coaxed into leaving the house. It's a sad affair.
                Sports stars are paid WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. They are PLAYING a game not curing F****ng cancer! The amount of time and money put into sports in this country is staggering. I don't have a problem with sports per say, but the excesses that come along with it worry me.
                When fans flip cars over in the streets or set them on fire or riot because their team lost OR won ... I have a problem with it. When people bash out car windows because the owner of the vehicle has a team logo other than the team they support ... I have a problem with it. When atheletes pump themselves up with steroids so they can remain competetive, I have a problem with it.
                When ignoramuses are handed College Degrees and accepted to the best schools because they can play basketball, I have a problem with it.

So, if the JW's have an issue with competitiveness in sports ... I sorta see why. They had many picnic's when I was growing up and they always played some sort of sport at them. But it was about fun and not competition. Nobody cared who won or lost as long as you had fun playing.

Like I said before, I'm not a JW. But I find them "mostly harmless".
                "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

• Little league baseball is ok, 1) except for the parents living their failed dreams through their children, and 2) for the parents who suck all the fun out of playing a game and embarass their children by making asses of themselves in the stands.

For the latter, just look at the articles about parents getting into a fight in the stands at little league games in a variety of sports (baseball, both forms of football, hockey, basketball...)

And that pledge of alliegance has changed several times over the years.

Original version: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

After October 12, 1892: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The pledge officially recognized by Congress on June 22, 1942 but in use since 1923: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The Knights of Columbus, in the early 1950's proposed a resolution to insert the words "under god" into the pledge. It was inserted in 1954, during the Cold War with those "atheists" in the Soviet Union.
                  RIP Coach Larry Finch
                  Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                  Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
                    JW's feel that Pledging alliegance to the flag is worshipping an idol. Yes, we say "One nation under God ..." but we are pledging "allegiance to the flag".
                    To me, pledging allegiance to the flag has always been a metaphor and not literal. The spirit and essence of the pledge is to the ideals and goals of America: Democracy & the Republic & freedom of and for religion.

Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
                    Serving in the military is serving the Country over God.
                    Not necessarily. Serving in the military is a personal choice, doesn't mean one is choosing to place Country above God or god. Every branch of the military has a chaplain. But, I do understand what you're saying about JW's beliefs.

Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
                    They also do not vote. I am actually rather grateful for this. We would have an endless string of Republican Presidents if they did.
                    Disagree with you on this one.

My belief: all career politicians should be treated suspiciously, Dems & Repub. Both party members say a lot of stuff to support or go against something, but look at how they vote; they often vote against something they voiced support for, and vote in support of something they spoke out against. Like I said, very wary when it comes to politicians.

Re: Religion
                    (Trying to stay on topic here)
                    A lot can be learned from religion: how to control a very large group of people and have them not question you; how to make money, quickly; and the kick to the ballsack, you can sport a bizarre hairstyle, and still the money will come rolling in -- without hesitation, no matter how often you "ask" for "donations."

Comment

• "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."-Revelation 19:11-13
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• That's the kind of bible that told me to stop reading, honestly.
                        Radhil Trebors
                        Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Since this falls into the political & religion thread...

Today's newspaper report:

Senate legislation passed barring demonstrators from disrupting military funerals at national cemetaries. This is in response to a "'Kansas church group that has staged protests at military funerals across the country, claiming that the deaths were a sign of God's anger at the U.S. tolerance of homosexuals."
                          "It's a sad but necessary measure to protect what should be recognized by all reasonable people as a solemn, private, and deeply sacred occasion," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.'" -- News services

Comment

• From what I understand, that church group is comprised of one hundred people or so.

I will tell you this: If they feel that they have the right to come protest my family member's funeral and start waving signs in my face, then I will feel that I have a right to break a few of their bones with my bare hands, and believe me, I can do it.

Comment

From what I understand, that church group is comprised of one hundred people or so.
                              <snip>
                              <sarcasm> Oh, lovely. So we needed a *federal law* to protect from those ravening hordes? </sarcasm> And sadly, it seems that several states are following suit.

And to think I never believed in 'slippery slope' arguments....

Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I don't mind it. I mean, I for one won't be protesting anybody's funeral.

Comment

Working...
                                X