No announcement yet.

The Rampant, Irresponsible Religion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arab-American Psychologist Wafa Sultan on Al-Jazeera TV. The interview was aired on Al-Jazeera TV on February 21, 2006

And to think I saw it on Al-Jazeera TV
    RIP Coach Larry Finch
    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• Towelmaster says
      When I see that Jehova's witnesses are not allowed to just buy books, they have to be approved by the church first, I mourn that. They should let everybody read whatever they want because the should believe true Faith will survive even reading those books.
      I don't know who told you this, but it is untrue. Though, I am not a Jehovah's Witness, my granparents are (were in the case of my grandfather). My Uncle is an elder in their Kingdom Hall. Growing up, I went to their meetings. There is no one banning books or handing out a list of 'approved' books. This is utter bullshit. Now, I bear no love for that religion and truly chose to NOT be a Jehovah's Witness, but if you are going to pontificate and try to make a convincing argument, it is always best to check your facts.

At most, the Witnesses are guilty of selectively interpreting the meaning of scripture to suit the point that they are trying to make. They print their own books called "The Watchtower" and "Awake" and use them as tracts to hand out to people that they are trying to convert to their fold. I have a huge problem with the sheep and shepherd mentality that they embrace. It is very much a 'do not think for yourself' religion but they are not doing as you say with the books. I can give you a list of about 100 reason why I chose not to be a Witness, some of them worse than the book thing if you ever want to hear it.

I too find the bible rather inconsistent ... but agree that Catholics do not interpret it literally (though I'm sure some do ... when it suits their arguments against homosexuality, taking life, and starting wars), but certainly not this Pope. However, any religion that wants to be taken seriously will avoid the pitfall of taking literally the text of a book written so long ago. I have read through the bible twice and find it about as interesting as Aesop's fables. Great moral/ethical lessons but little else.
      "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

• You may be right in your country, I don't know where that is. Over here in the Netherlands it's different. How do I know? Because I have known/know several families over here that actually broke up because one partner let the church select the books they had to do away with, and the other partner said "Hell NO! I'll read whatever I want to read".

Marriage over. I would think that that is enough 'evidence' for my statement.

BTW : Perhaps it would be wise to add the date and time of the original posting, as this one is probably ancient history?
        "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Towelmaster
          BTW : Perhaps it would be wise to add the date and time of the original posting, as this one is probably ancient history?
          The post quoted was from this thread on 11/22/2004.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I don't even remember it. But yeah, JW are kooks.
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
              I don't even remember it. But yeah, JW are kooks.
              Have to differ with you there, ZD. While I disagree completely with their beliefs, some of the warmest, most tolerant, intelligent and well-adjusted folks I've ever met have been Witnesses.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I've met kind and warm people from the Jehovah's, actually managed a discussion with one who hit my door. And I've also met kooks, also coming to my door.

No accounting in labels I guess.
                Radhil Trebors
                Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Hope it doesn't confuse people, I've gone ahead and moved the JW posts to this thread. It was feeling left out.

Jan

Comment

• Yeah, they're great people, just like Mormons. So? It's that kind of nice where they could pull out a machine gun at any moment and kill everyone. You have to be a special kind of crazy to belong to a cult like JW.
                    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radhil
                      I've met kind and warm people from the Jehovah's, actually managed a discussion with one who hit my door. And I've also met kooks, also coming to my door.

No accounting in labels I guess.

There are good people and bad people in all organized groups. Jehovah's Witnesses are not bad people per say. The edicts of their religion and the 'Big Brother' system that prevails under them is not one I am comfortable wih.

They call their religion 'the truth' which by implication means that all other religions are a lie. I find this arrogant in the extreme. With so many religions in the world, and considering that they are a relatively 'upstart' relgion, I couldn't grasp how they honestly believed that their religion was more true than anyone elses.

The views they espouse are also somewhat hypocritical. 'God loves all of his children, he is a loving God' ... but ten minutes later you are hearing how God will destroy pagans, homosexuals, and those who chose to not listen to his word. That's right, if a Jehovah's Witness has preached to you and you do not become one of them, you have damned yourself. This was the dealbreaker for me. It is a catch-22. Either you accept the word of God as delivered as ministered by one of his witnesses and become one, or you will perish on judgement day. Another predominant view is that adultery and fornication are unnaceptable. Well, the particular Hall that my Grandparents went to, I had the ability to visit recently after my grandfathers passing. I would say that there had been a 70% seperation rate due to infidelity. My Uncle included among them. Too strict on the rules and the first thing people want to do is break them. Like I said before though, I don't by any means hate Jehovah's Witnesses, but like all religions, I find their edicts are based on idealism and not reality. You can only explain away your misdeeds with 'imperfection' for so long.

Anyhow, in all that time, in America at least, there has not been a book moderator. I don't know why it would be different in the Netherlands as the religion is supposed to be uniform ... but eh, who knows. I know very little about the Netherlands, despite the fact that my Grandparents are Dutch descendants (Yep ... the Jehovah's Witnesses)
                      I apologize if I picked an old topic. The way the pages come up, I didn't realize that I hadn't reached the end of the thread. I thought I was responding to the last post. I will keep an eye on that from now on.
                      "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

Yeah, they're great people, just like Mormons. So? It's that kind of nice where they could pull out a machine gun at any moment and kill everyone. You have to be a special kind of crazy to belong to a cult like JW.
                        Well, I feel the same way about wrestling fans. But then, it's also a special sort of crazy to see cultish armed killers everywhere. So I try not to let it get to me.
                        Radhil Trebors
                        Persona Under Construction

Comment

Yeah, they're great people, just like Mormons. So? It's that kind of nice where they could pull out a machine gun at any moment and kill everyone. You have to be a special kind of crazy to belong to a cult like JW.
                          ZD, with all respect a religion that's been around and growing for well over a hundred years probably doesn't still deserve the negative connotation of a 'cult' designation. To those not religiously inclined...like me, for instance...all religions look equally odd.

As for the above quote, two things: <moderator speak> You're dangerously close to hate speach-be careful. </moderator speak>

Second, exactly *why* could that scenario be possible. Their beliefs require them to be politically neutral so it's not as if they're going to try to stage a take-over.

I don't know how accurate this is but I found this Wiki article useful recently.

Jan

Comment

• My sister's a Mormon.

And it's a cult. Just a larger, more organized one.
                            "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Karachi Vyce
                              My sister's a Mormon.

And it's a cult. Just a larger, more organized one.
                              Your definition of 'cult' being? The dictionary (Merriam-Webster) has this to say:

Main Entry: cult
                              Function: noun
                              Pronunciation: 'k&lt
                              Usage: often attributive
                              Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
                              1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
                              2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual ; also : its body of adherents
                              3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious ; also : its body of adherents
                              4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
                              5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book) ; especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
                              I'd say you probably mean definition #3 but it seems to me that *every* organized religion falls under the first two, main definitions of the word.

Jan

Comment

Yeah, they're great people, just like Mormons. So?
                                I agree with the Z'Dweller here. You can find nice people anywhere, even members of a religion some regard as cults.

Remember, every time there's a TV new's report or newspaper interview on neighbors and friends about a serial killer (say, Dahmer, for instance) that's just been caught: "Geez, he was a nice guy." Or, "I've never had any problems with them."

Being nice has nothing to do with anything. I grew up in the Baptist church. A lot of smiles and handshakes. But, when the door closes, "They didn't accept Jesus as their personal Savior; they're going Hell." Baptists' regard their religion as the One True Religion, everybody else has been tricked into worshipping a false religion.

I do regard Mormons and JW and Scientologists as cults; Catholicism is hugely suspect & tainted. This is my opinion. I don't believe Baptist Christianity is the one and true religion, either. Many religions have a huge control mechanism that seeks to dominate and control their "flock."
                                Last edited by manwithnoname; 05-20-2006, 09:24 PM.
                                "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

Working...
                                X