• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Maturin
    Ship's Surgeon
    • Feb 2004

Political Compass

Has anyone ever tried this?

A typology of political opinions plotted on 2 dimensions: economic and social.

Pretty interesting. I am at (7, 3).
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.
  • Radhil
    Part-Time Dreamer
    • Jan 2004

I did this once before. A while ago. Not sure if it was the same result then.

But FWIW, I'm at (-3, -4). Given the explanations involved, that's not too suprising to me.

Roughly the same relative area (not quite as far out) as the Dalai Lama. Which amuses me as much as it fits.
    Radhil Trebors
    Persona Under Construction

Comment

• Dr Maturin
      Ship's Surgeon
      • Feb 2004

At the bottom of the graph with all of the world leaders, I thought it would have been a funny joke to have:

(John Kerry's results removed for clarity)
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Starkiller
        Confirmed User
        • Jul 2004

Pretty interesting stuff, lol im also around the Dalai Lama, wierd huh?
        There is a greater darkness than the one we fight, its is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.

Comment

• Radhil
          Part-Time Dreamer
          • Jan 2004

Radhil Trebors

Comment

• DGTWoodward
            A Fan Of Pioneer
            • Jun 2004

Re: Political Compass

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
            Has anyone ever tried this?

A typology of political opinions plotted on 2 dimensions: economic and social.

Well, I am at (-6,88, -0,3) Does that make me a raving commie/anachist? mmmm...not too sure about that!
            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

• Dr Maturin
              Ship's Surgeon
              • Feb 2004

Re: Re: Political Compass

Originally posted by LightStorm
              Well, I am at (-6,88, -0,3) Does that make me a raving commie/anachist? mmmm...not too sure about that!
              I could answer your question if I knew what you meant by (-6,88, -0,3).

<<>>

Oh, come on, Radhil, even if you don't think Kerry was a "flip flopper," there is the stereotype that he is, so the joke is funny. Lighten up, junior.

Comment

• Radhil
                Part-Time Dreamer
                • Jan 2004

Oh, come on, Radhil, even if you don't think Kerry was a "flip flopper," there is the stereotype that he is, so the joke is funny. Lighten up, junior.
                Yeah, I know. I'm trying. I didn't rant did I? :P

EDIT -
                I could answer your question if I knew what you meant by (-6,88, -0,3).
                LightStorm, Mr. Period is your friend. Use him well.

Radhil Trebors

Comment

• chaostaenzer
                  Confirmed User
                  • Apr 2004

Amazing. -5 -7.03
                  I can't believe that i'm such an economic leftwinger. I have to take the test again when i'm not so tired.

Yeah, quite funny. But it would be a lot more funnier if you could make a joke about George Bush. Practically, ZHD, you're a political neighbor of both, Kerry and Bush...so will you try that? Just for the fun of it? Pleeeeaaase

Comment

• Dr Maturin
                    Ship's Surgeon
                    • Feb 2004

<<Practically, ZHD, you're a political neighbor of both, Kerry and Bush...so will you try that? Just for the fun of it? Pleeeeaaase>>

Okay, going on perceptions...

...have a * by his name on the chart and the key at the bottom:

*Assuming President Bush would understand the questions on the test

Comment

• iamsheridan
                      Mister of the universe
                      • Oct 2003

Re: Political Compass

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                      http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Interesting test. Made me have to think quite hard several times. I would have liked more alternatives, or at least a "Cannot choose" one.

Anyways, -5.88, -4.00 for me. A bit further from the middle than I would have thought, now that age makes me more and more conservative. Or doesn't it?

/IamS
                      Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
                      http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

• cruiser
                        I am the dreamer.
                        • Apr 2004

I placed at -6.12,-1.95 and I agree that more choices would have been good. Watt wuz dis guesshtun? "Multinational companies are unethically exploiting the plant genetic resources of developing countries."
                        I had the dagger in my hand! And he has the indecency to start dying on his own.

Comment

• I love Lyta
                          Confirmed User
                          • Jun 2004

Eco: -4.12
                          Soc: -3.69

Whoa! Never knew I have so much in common with the Dalai Lama.
                          What's up Drakh?

Comment

• chaostaenzer
                            Confirmed User
                            • Apr 2004

*Assuming President Bush would understand the questions on the test
                            Well...not so funny... I assume that you could do much better than that, ZHD. Anyway, thanks for trying!

Whoa! Never knew I have so much in common with the Dalai Lama.
                            Interesting to see how many fellow members are little Dalai Lamas
                            Maybe we should combine this thread with a poll which is based on the compass: Bush or Lama?

Comment

• dimension_boy
                              Confirmed User
                              • Oct 2004

this is very interesting stuff

I would love to see the scores for all the political board regulars... it may surprise many.

I am a 3.38/-3.18

which spells it out perfectly... stay outta my pocket book/stay outta my bedroom

fiscal conservative/social liberal

the only aspect of this that, while apparent in the questions, does not seem to me to relate to economics or social issues is one's take on international relations... war. where does that fit? I guess it's economic, since I am conservative economically and respect the necessity of war, but liberal socially.

who knows

like the test. I am a test developer in the psychological world, so I have to wonder if this one is reliable and valid and otherwise statistically sound... must do research!

Comment

Working...
                              X