"The Expanse"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Expanse"

Anyone watch this? From what I hear, it is supposed to be a quality scifi-drama, some even compare elements to early B5 (e.g. Earth-Mars conflict). I haven't had a chance to check it out, but it is on my whatchlist for the time after the summer vacations.

Yes, I definitely started a thread a while back, so do chime in there when you start watching. It's really solid. Good world building, realistic space physics, space opera vibe. I sometimes found it had pacing issues, but on the whole VERY GOOD SF. Potentially some of the best of recent years. Proper story arcs, not episode + reset button!
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I watched some more episodes last night, my friend hasn't been available since before I got the cats (April) I thought watching it "this look sinsanely expensive, no season 2) but apparently there will be a season 3.
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
        I watched some more episodes last night, my friend hasn't been available since before I got the cats (April) I thought watching it "this look sinsanely expensive, no season 2) but apparently there will be a season 3.
        I think it likely has a healthy budget and is definitely SyFy's flagship show. Nice to see them back producing a proper SF show. I suppose the costs are kept sane by re-using the sets, and lots of the action takes place either on a ship and various stations, but still, it always looks gorgeous.

Comment

The worse headline I found during a google search..

'The Expanse casts Lost star Elizabeth Mitchell in key role.'
          I guess you can read it two ways, I thought she backed out of her role in the upcoming season 3, lol!

Comment

I'm reading the fourth book in the series of novels this is based on. They are much, much better, because they're about the adventures of a group of extremely lovable people.

The Expanse (books): Firefly, but in the B5 universe.
            The Expanse (TV series): Battlestar Galactica, but in the B5 universe.
            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
              I'm reading the fourth book in the series of novels this is based on. They are much, much better, because they're about the adventures of a group of extremely lovable people.

The Expanse (books): Firefly, but in the B5 universe.
              The Expanse (TV series): Battlestar Galactica, but in the B5 universe.
              Yeah, I think this is a good analogy. I do need to check out the books.

Comment

I've seen the first two seasons and they've been very good. I have not read the books. I thought in the first season they had some scenes that were primarily for shock value. I am looking forward to the third season next year. It started filming July 12.

Comment

Originally posted by nottenst View Post
                  I've seen the first two seasons and they've been very good. I have not read the books. I thought in the first season they had some scenes that were primarily for shock value. I am looking forward to the third season next year. It started filming July 12.
                  I liked the station based scenes as it reminded me of B5 in terms of setting. It also has the same space opera vibe. It's some of the best modern TV SF in a long time.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments and infos, guys! Really looking forward to giving it a try now!

Comment

Working...
                    X