Netflix's The OA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Looney View Post

This is why I hear STRANGER THINGS won't get more than one more season. I so want to see what else they come up with. Season 3 was sooo good. I wonder if they will do any spin-offs. I'd love to see DUSTIN & STEVE'S SCOOPS AHOY ADVENTURES. LOL

And speaking of shows that will likely just have one more season, tomorrow one of my new favorites GLOW will have its Season 3 premier. My guess is it will definitely be the final season, but who knows. Anyone else watch GLOW on Netflix?
    Very much doubt this is the reason Stranger Things is ending. That show is a massive success and Netflix would still be making plenty of profit even if their expenses would grow bigger.

The real problem is the kids growing up and the Duffer Brothers wanting to stick to the "each season advances just 1 year" concept.

In season 3 the kids (many of whom, BTW, are about to turn 17 in just a few of months, and one of them turning 18!) already don't really look their supposed age (14 year olds).

Haven't watched GLOW, but I will be shocked if it makes it for one more season given the above reports. I fully expect it to be cancelled.
    My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      Man, this sucks. The OA was one of the smartest SF shows on Netflix. I wish they'd offset the more artsy 'cult' shows with the massive success of say, Stranger Things (which, imho, isn't ever that great. Eminently watchable, but nothing special).
      Well your opinion might be different if you grew up in the Midwestern U.S. in the 1980s. LOL

Originally posted by sense8ional View Post

Very much doubt this is the reason Stranger Things is ending. That show is a massive success and Netflix would still be making plenty of profit even if their expenses would grow bigger.

The real problem is the kids growing up and the Duffer Brothers wanting to stick to the "each season advances just 1 year" concept.

In season 3 the kids (many of whom, BTW, are about to turn 17 in just a few of months, and one of them turning 18!) already don't really look their supposed age (14 year olds).
      VERY TRUE. But I have a friend who obsessively follows everything STRANGER THINGS and he claims they will likely ended after Season 4, if we're lucky there will be a Season 5. And I think the Duffer's probably wanted a series that just focused on the adventures of 12 year olds and time won't let them have it. The question is will they bend and continue through high school drama. LOL
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
        Well your opinion might be different if you grew up in the Midwestern U.S. in the 1980s. LOL
        Hahaha. Maybe. TBH, I finally started watching Stranger Things S3 (I got bored after 2-3 episodes of S2, so I watched a five minute recap youtube video to catch up). Must admit S3 is really fun so far and very nicely balanced.

But yeah, the OA will be missed. I'd have taken one more season of the OA over 10 more seasons of Stranger Things.

Originally posted by Sense8ional

I'm not sure if the age of the actors is such a limiting factor, I mean... Buffy anyone!? They were all in their 30s playing teens / YA and it never really bothered anyone. Plus, you can age the show with the characters. They could also spin off the show into other avenues. It's so popular, I'd expect at least 5 seasons. Although, i'd respect them if they ended it earlier than that.
        Last edited by Ubik; 08-15-2019, 01:58 AM.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I'm not sure if the age of the actors is such a limiting factor, I mean... Buffy anyone!? They were all in their 30s playing teens / YA and it never really bothered anyone. Plus, you can age the show with the characters. They could also spin off the show into other avenues. It's so popular, I'd expect at least 5 seasons. Although, i'd respect them if they ended it earlier than that.
          Well the problem comparing that to Buffy is we were introduced to these characters when they were actually kids. With Buffy we were just told the 30 year-olds were teens. LOL

I enjoyed Season 3 more than Season 2.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I'm not sure if the age of the actors is such a limiting factor, I mean... Buffy anyone!? They were all in their 30s playing teens / YA and it never really bothered anyone.
            Big difference, that show didn't start with them looking as 12 year olds.

A 30 year old can start playing a teenager and once you accept it they can continue playing the role for several more years because it's not expected that in the next, say, 5 years their looks will age considerably.
            A real 14 year old can play a teenager only for so few years before they look completely different than when they were a teenager for real.

Plus, you can age the show with the characters. They could also spin off the show into other avenues. It's so popular, I'd expect at least 5 seasons. Although, i'd respect them if they ended it earlier than that.
            They said 4, maybe 5, tops.

"We're thinking it will be a four-season thing and then out," says Ross. By then, the original band of adorable preteens will be ready for college. "We just have to keep adjusting the story," says Matt. "Though I don't know if we can justify something bad happening to them once a year."

"They're going to have to get the fuck out of this town!" says Ross. "It's ridiculous!"
            "I mean I will say we have a good sense of stuff that happens in season four. Season four is definitely happening. "There's very much the possibility of a season beyond that one, that's currently undecided."
            Last edited by sense8ional; 08-15-2019, 08:27 AM.
            My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

There are definitely ways around it. If the money and willing is there, a show this successful will continue. I don't see their age being an issue, they can write around it. Hell they can even skip a year or two of 'in show' timeline to make it more plausible, hence a bad thing not happening every year. Just speculating wildly, but if it's a cash cow, I don't see Netflix letting it die so easily. Like Buffy, they could transition to high school / college, etc.

Anyway, I want the OA back. Hahahaha.
              Last edited by Ubik; 08-16-2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Fans have been trying to get Netflix to revise their decision by trending #savetheOA and other hashtags on social media, signing petitions, organizing flashmobs, including outside of Netflix's office, sending mustard ("why did you have to fuck it up with mustard?"), sending handwritten letters, etc. And a lot of them have been posting videos of themselves doing the movements: https://theoaisreal.com/

A billboard will also go up on Times Square and then elsewhere.

But Netflix hasn't acknowledged any of their efforts.

Seeing the fans kept going, Brit Marling wrote a letter to them. In it she neither tells them to stop, nor to continue, but the tone of it seems to imply it's over, as she says the feeling of the story will live with them and the show doesn't need to continue for that. https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hKgS9pUZG/

There's a hunger strike going outside Netflix. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/th...ke-1202168086/
                A young screenwriter has been picketing since last week, I think. A Netflix exec came down and tried to change her mind. He insinuated there's no coming back, the contracts have expired, it's 100% done, there's no point at all for her to be there as the show won't or even can't come back anymore. But the protester says she will stay there for as long as she can take it. For her it's a political issue (plus, she's unemployed, so she's got time, lol).

She has explained her reasons on twitter, e.g. here: https://twitter.com/emverse/status/1163510869268951041

Tens of thousands of people die in the United States every year because they cannot get help. They cannot afford services to treat mental health issues and medical conditions. Untreated conditions make it harder to obtain employment, making it even more impossible to get help.

Yes, there are social programs and organizations out there that provide services free of charge—and some people do get the assistance they need—but these programs are chronically understaffed, underfunded, and have far fewer resources than they need.

Which leads to a very strange truth about our society. Sometimes, a TV show is the best thing you have.
                While it looks like I'm protesting a TV cancellation on the surface, I am protesting the capitalist forces that killed the show, general lack of societal support resources, and to raise awareness about properly teaching AI. The cancellation is a lens for these topics.
                Her protesting is starting to be widely covered by the press who paint Netflix in not the best light.

Let's see if Netflix will look into reviving the show for some finale or something, before the hunger strike goes bad or something.

P.S There's also the ridiculous theory that the cancellation is staged because "they said the game would go IRL, this is the direct result of what happened in season 2!", but it's tone-deaf nonsense.
                Last edited by sense8ional; 08-25-2019, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Here is the design for the billboard that will go up: https://old.reddit.com/r/TheOA/comme...n_i_love_this/

Comment

Billboard and flashmob at Times Square! https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOA/comme..._times_square/

Comment

Fandoms are nuts... but good on them.

Comment

Netflix offered the creators a wrap-up movie but they rejected the offer as it wouldn't be sufficient. I think that now it's well and truly over.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/oa-...ng-1203317355/

Comment

Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
                          Netflix offered the creators a wrap-up movie but they rejected the offer as it wouldn't be sufficient. I think that now it's well and truly over.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/oa-...ng-1203317355/
                          Good on them for not compromising their original vision with a rushed wrap up film.

Comment

Working...
                          X