Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek Beyond

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Star Trek Beyond

    Yikes, does 'Star Trek The Threequel' have too many chiefs in the kitchen or what?

    Now they are changing the recipe for the half baked movie by reshooting parts to add a new character, High Command of the Federation - none other than Shohreh Aghdashloo.

    I can hear the conversation now..
    "Hey this plot sucks and is DOA, it's only going to further disappoint. Isn't there anyone we can rip-off?"
    "Well, B5 hasn't starting up yet, what about that other sci-fi epic The Expanse?
    Yeah, that's the ticket!"

    Read further about the shenanigans here:
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/uncatego...r-trek-beyond/

  • #2
    Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
    Yikes, does 'Star Trek The Threequel' have too many chiefs in the kitchen or what?

    Now they are changing the recipe for the half baked movie by reshooting parts to add a new character, High Command of the Federation - none other than Shohreh Aghdashloo.

    I can hear the conversation now..
    "Hey this plot sucks and is DOA, it's only going to further disappoint. Isn't there anyone we can rip-off?"
    "Well, B5 hasn't starting up yet, what about that other sci-fi epic The Expanse?
    Yeah, that's the ticket!"

    Read further about the shenanigans here:
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/uncatego...r-trek-beyond/
    Re-shoots this late in the game... hmmm... does not inspire confidence.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

    Kosh: Good!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
      Yikes, does 'Star Trek The Threequel' have too many chiefs in the kitchen or what?

      Now they are changing the recipe for the half baked movie by reshooting parts to add a new character, High Command of the Federation - none other than Shohreh Aghdashloo.

      I can hear the conversation now..
      "Hey this plot sucks and is DOA, it's only going to further disappoint. Isn't there anyone we can rip-off?"
      "Well, B5 hasn't starting up yet, what about that other sci-fi epic The Expanse?
      Yeah, that's the ticket!"

      Read further about the shenanigans here:
      http://wegotthiscovered.com/uncatego...r-trek-beyond/

      I wish someone would rip off B5 then we'd have decent television again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
        I wish someone would rip off B5 then we'd have decent television again.
        They did, it was called 'Deep Space Nine', ack!

        ..sorry, that was too easy, just couldn't help it

        Comment


        • #5
          Speaking of ripping off Babylon 5...

          In Star Trek Beyond, one of the most important locations will be Starbase Yorktown, on the very edge of Federation space, where the Enterprise docks in the beginning of the film. It's a diplomatic hub, a place where the many species that make up the United Federation of Planets can meet to pursue a better, common future for all. It's an important tactical establishment for the Federation. Yorktown also has a very "unique" design, a sort of round and transparent enclosed structure that seems to generate artificial gravity on its curved, interior surface.







          http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/05/2...star-trek-base

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the link.. very interesting.

            btw If B5 was an alternative to DS9 - then the SyFy series 'The Expanse' is it again for Trek this time.
            There is a generational ship with rotating sections in the yet to be televised novels, complete with null gravity point at the hub.

            Comment


            • #7
              Meh. This was blatantly part of the re-shoots with Shohreh Aghdashloo, so there's even a tangential link to The Expanse. Yes, definitely similar to B5's design and purpose. Perhaps they felt the storyline needed some framing before Kirk and a hot alien woman race very fast cars for the ownership of a planet.

              Oh wait, this isn't Fast 9?!? Ah shit.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

              Kosh: Good!

              Comment


              • #8
                Ouch -
                Entertainment Weekly - Star Trek Beyond .. C+

                "If you’re looking for a witty workplace sitcom set on a futuristic starship, the latest exploits featuring the crew of the Enterprise, Star Trek Beyond, won’t disappoint. But it has to be asked: Is that really why most of us go to see a Star Trek film?"


                http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/15...yond-ew-review

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                  Ouch -
                  Entertainment Weekly - Star Trek Beyond .. C+
                  "If you’re looking for a witty workplace sitcom set on a futuristic starship, the latest exploits featuring the crew of the Enterprise, Star Trek Beyond, won't disappoint. But it has to be asked: Is that really why most of us go to see a Star Trek film?"
                  Really not sure which Trek films that reviewer has been watching, but I've yet to see any Trek film with "Big Ideas and knotty existential questions". They've always been fairly fun films, with the occasional more ponderous instalment. Damn it Jim! This is Star Trek not Tarkovsky!

                  Jury is out on Star Trek: The Fast & The Furious until I see it, which will probably be via Netflix in a years time.
                  Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                  Kosh: Good!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have REALLY pushed my expectations down on this one. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
                    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Looney View Post
                      I have REALLY pushed my expectations down on this one. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
                      Don't think I've been excited about a Trek film since First Contact.
                      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                      Kosh: Good!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                        Don't think I've been excited about a Trek film since First Contact.
                        I feel exactly the same way. And First Contact was disappointing to me, yet it is still one of my favorite Trek films.
                        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One theory is that big Hollywood movies are now made for the largest world market.
                          If people - say in China don't get the subtleties of western culture, then fast action and 'poop-jokes' still sell lot's of tickets.

                          On the other hand, TV shows are getting better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                            One theory is that big Hollywood movies are now made for the largest world market.
                            If people - say in China don't get the subtleties of western culture, then fast action and 'poop-jokes' still sell lot's of tickets.

                            On the other hand, TV shows are getting better.
                            I think TV has surpassed (popular / mainstream) film as an art form.
                            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                            Kosh: Good!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I saw it. I might give it a 6 out of a possible 10 if someone pays me to say that. I am not the world's biggest Trek fan, so don't quote me as an authority when I say my opinion as it relates this movie to other Trek movies. In the realm of Trek movies I would give it a 3 out of a possible 10 ranking. It just didn't feel much like Trek to me for some reason. Personally I felt there were logic gaps in the world they created and on the whole the visuals are the only reason I would ever watch this movie again, because they were pretty darn good at times.

                              I will be very surprised if many folks will be coming to this forum to sing this movie's praises. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I might be one of the few voices who is going easy on this one. But I could be wrong. Maybe everyone will love it.
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X